Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is (Recoring) Brass radiators a thing of the past

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by blazedogs, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

My newly built rad started cracking at the tanks after a few months. The shop squirmed out of responsibility by claiming their previous foreman shouldn't have advised me to run a 17lb cap.They repaired it,got flux & grime all over the grill and headlights, and charged me $450. I found a new rad guy 300 miles away.He does repairs and new builds, not cheap, but very good,and He's a Hot rodder

2. .............That might help someone if we knew where you were.:rolleyes:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Over here in the UK we still have a lot of companies who do this. I use these guys - Cropper & Jones;

http://radiatorrepairs.co.uk/

Run by the grandson of one of the founders - they came back from WW2 (they were in the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers). The grandson uses much of their original equipment and tools.

4. millersgarage

millersgarage

just had my 33 done in Lansing MI

5. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Don's Radiators 3220-12th Ave. N. Lethbridge, AB. quite a ways from Maryland. I spoke with him last week, He was building 2 rads for a guy from Texas,so maybe not too far. (403) 329-6969

6. Still a bunch up here but mostly do trucks and heavy equipment.
    Aluminum rads with plastic tanks can be repaired and recored as well.
    Not everywhere does this.

we use Kingrad in Mississauga great guy.
    Does gas tanks and inter coolers as well.

homeycomb rads are still used.
    I hear them called “ cotton rads” up here.

used on heavy equipment in severe duty, dirty applications as the dirt does not plug them up as easily.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. blazedogs

blazedogs

Thx for the replys Broke down ,bit the bullet & bought a new brass/copper radiator No don,t ask how I put 3 holes in the old one..

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I'm lucky to still have a local radiator shop....only one in the area....does a lot of diesel truck/heavy equipment rads...but he's a hot rodder and racer too...I brought the radiator from my 64 in a while back for a checkup before I put it in with the new engine, dropped it off late morning, had it back late in the afternoon with a couple small holes soldered up...

Devin

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

The exchange rate helps. Last I checked, the Canadian dollar was worth 73 cents.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app