Register now to get rid of these ads!

The end of the "Okie Twister"

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by WZ JUNK, Jun 14, 2020.

1. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Hooley wrecked the "Okie Twister" Henry J today at a nostalgia race at MOKAN Dragway. Many of you have seen the car run at the HAMB Drags over the last
    12 years. Hooley is fine with no scrapes or cuts but probably will be a little sore for the next few days. It happened as he was just through the finish line when he pulled the chute. The car is destroyed but he is okay. I helped build the car, and helped him run it through the years, although I have not been around a lot lately. It was quit an adventure. Over a 1,000 passes. 435402E8-5DF0-457B-8F49-581527ACCA01_1_105_c.jpeg

The_Cat_Of_Ages likes this.
  2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about the crash! Glad to hear he is ok.

3. raven

raven

Sad end to such a cool, quick car. That being said, I am so glad he’s ok. Met him a few times over the years and sold him an Olds rear end for a gasser years ago.
    Like I say, I’m really glad he’s ok after suck a spectacular finish.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Glad to hear Hooley is OK

rustednutz likes this.

5. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

My friend Logan in the Orange/white 56 post car sent me pics wallago . Soo sorry but glad he’s ok. Man , that cage held up where it counted. I still appreciate you guys letting the boys now 16 have a seat in the ol twister while at Rogersville few years ago. Now they have a rolling chassis their building. That was a good day we met you guys & was a winning day for the twister & my pal Logan runnered up . Flux

Hooley likes this.
  6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to hear he is OK. That car is/was a bad mofo.

See you in August, -Abone.

7. Man, hate to hear that but glad Hooley is ok. That was definitely one of my favorite Henry J's maybe partially since it was also a local car.

8. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

We were in the pit area when the announcer said that a car was off the track. Word spread quickly that it was Hooley. We looked at each other with shock, and soon silent prayers were being said asking that he would be okay. To our relief, he was fine. Hooley handled it well. The rest of the day he was just as calm and laid back as ever. I don’t know if I would’ve handled the situation as well as he did.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Tman likes this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That straight up sucks.

rustednutz and Tman like this.
  11. Hate to hear that! Engine OK? For sale?

12. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I think the engine and transmission are okay. That engine is the one Hooley set records with in the Studebaker at Bonneville. It is a very expensive billet engine that was custom built. (I think the long block was $27,000 12 years ago) He has it and the other Bonneville engine which is the 572 cubic inch big block with twin turbo chargers. I do not know what his intensions are but I do not think he plans to sell them any time soon. Hopefully there will be something in the works for them in the future.

13. I just remembered that the stainless rear bumper was my tubing from the infamous pig at the 2nd HAMB Drags! You welded it up!

14. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

That bumper got damaged when there was a incident at the drags, after dark, and someone backed the Okie Twister into the car trailer. I have that bumper and the one that was on the car during its disassembly, during the crash, at my shop. I plan to fix the one you brought here and make a wall hanger of it. The second one I plan to make coffee cups of the ends as that is about all that remains that is useable.

It was a great race car. Hooley is working on the Okie Twister II

Tim and Tman like this.
  15. II?! that cool!

16. atch

atch

Any progress reports on Okie Twister II????

17. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Hooley is working on the new Okie Twister and I hope it will be racing soon. Here is a shot of the Okie Twisters ugly sister. Hooley and Ken are running it at the Out of Sight Drags in Wisconsin this weekend.

Hooley has also started working on preparing the " Just Glad to be Here", 53 Studebaker, for its return at Speedweek 2022. He is a busy man.

576D665B-5951-440B-8C02-D104481A129D_1_105_c.jpeg racing it this weekenat

flux capacitor likes this.
  18. Any pictures of the wrecked car?