Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53 Chevy rear brake oil leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Medic4lifejr, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Medic4lifejr

Medic4lifejr

Hi everyone
    I have 53 sedan, I have been in the works replacing my rear leaf springs, rear shocks. I have installed de-arched leaf springs. Mind you the car has sat on jack stands for two weeks already. When installing the leaf springs, we noticed a leak both sides of the brake drum. So I orders wheel cylinders.
    When parts finally arrived I removed the brake drum and noticed it’s been leaking gear oil. It was leaking from the picture I uploaded, the hole marked in red. Before taking the photo, the hole was at 6 o’clock.
    My question is, do I need the a plug for this hole? Do my drums need to line up to this hole?

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

There should be a hole in the drum that lines up with that hole. It's the weep hole, for when the wheel seal seeps a little oil out. If it's leaving a puddle like that, you need to change the seal.

Plugging the hole will just make the oil get on the brake shoes, which you do NOT want.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never in my 73 years heard of a "weep" hole in a Chevy axle like that.
    I have seen a lot of early Chevy axle seals leak which means you have to pull the cover on the rear axle, take the pin out of the spiders, push the axles in to drop the C clips out, pull the axles out and pull the seals out and put new seals in, check the axles for damage and put it back together. I'd look a bit at the wheel bearings to make sure they were good.

4. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I always thought the hole in the axle was to get to the backing plate bolts.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bobss396 likes this.

5. Shutt

Shutt

If he has a stock reared he probably will not have C clips. Unbolt axle flanges, slide hammer pull axle out, press off bearing or check o ring, r and r.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. squirrel

squirrel

If it has the stock rear axle, and it has a removable cover, remove the cover, and then remove the bolt, pin and C clips, then remove the axles.

4-02.jpg

4-03.jpg

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If you're lucky enough to find NOS or NORS leather seals, be sure to soak them in neatsfoot oil overnight before use.