Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Right Hand Drive Problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clements36, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Clements36

Clements36

Building a right hand drive car with a Chevy 250 inline 6 , need help finding the water pump with heater hose input on opposite side . I want to put the power steering pump on the distributor side, so looking for a bracket . Next is a bracket system to put the alternator and air conditioner on the side with the intake and exhaust . I need to find a set of shorty headers . Any help would be appreciated .
    Mike

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Clements36 ....as it happens, I am installing a 250 six in my left hand drive ‘37 Chevy coupe and have a couple of issues similar to yours, even though you are dealing with right hand drive. The common ground is limited space at the front of the engine for accessory drives.

I would like to share some of my thoughts on solutions that may be worth your consideration. Some other readers may object on ‘traditional’ grounds, but I hope they will restrain themselves a bit considering the less visible nature of these equipment choices.

As for the alternator location, I am considering right side as a location since wiring is easily routed regardless of left/right hand steering gear. As for A/C compressor, Vintage Air offers a mounting kit for the GM 194/292 six cylinder engines that places the compressor top right front.

Initially, I thought that was my choice as it simplifies the A/C hose routing with left hand steering. However, the distributor I currently have seems to interfere with that placement. That has prompted considering left side A/C compressor mount in place of the OEM alternator. That would seem beneficial for hose routing in your case of right hand drive, would it not?

As for power steering, which at this time I am inclined to utilize, I am strongly leaning to the electric assist units which are widely used on late models and relatively easy to incorporate in almost any car. That eliminates finding space for a pump and related hoses.

I recent saw an advertisement for a bracket kit that, as I recall, top mounted the alternator and A/C, straddling the upper water outlet that may be worth your time to research. If I find or can recall where I saw that, I will post the info and send you a PM as well.

For exhaust I am using cast iron manifolds that are two piece, front three/back three. They were originally offered by Tom Langdon but now are distributed by Tom Lowe (12Bolt.com). I will attach a photo of my engine to this post that shows them.

To summarize, if I can see a good path for A/C hose routing from compressor to condenser , I am inclined towards lower left side compressor and right side alternator.

A1A7B995-0EF0-48CD-BBF2-A37311ADF002.jpeg 87B44902-E0BC-478C-8AF1-3EFD24EC46D1.jpeg

Ray

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  3. Clements36

Clements36

Ray , I alright have an A/C bracket from Old Air Products for the distributor but you can use a large HEI distributor , as for the power steering pump it would be a better hookup because of the rack unit . I will check on the headers , those would work . The car that I am building is a 1929 Studebaker dictator UTE with 1995 Jaguar front and rear suspension , the roof has been chopped to 10 inches in height , this is not going to be a Rat Rod .
    Mike

4. Joe H

Joe H

Here are some pictures of the A/C bracket I built for my 250 inline in my '37 Chevrolet pickup. It mounts low down on dr side with small alternator mounted to it. I don't have completed pictures, but from the side with hood open you can't tell it has A/C on it. The RT side high mount compressor brackets look really out of place.

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.

5. Hnstray likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I better understand your situation now, utilizing the Jag suspension and need for a P/S pump.

I had three 292 engines, two from John Deere combines, one from a Chevy pickup, that had different configurations of the water outlet and thermostat housing. I will take a look at what I have and see if any those bits may be useful to you and let you know.

Sounds like a very interesting project, especially being a Ute. I am also a Studebaker fan, though I have never had anything from the ‘30s/‘40s.....only ‘50s/early ‘60s. Sending me some pics would be appreciated. I will PM you my email address.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  7. Clements36

Clements36

Joe , the mount looks great but I am using 1976 nova motor mounts , which would be a problem , but I maybe able to change your design to work Thanks Mike

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

WoW Joe! That bracket is a first class piece of engineering! Very nice.

Ray

9. Clements36

Clements36

Phil , The problem is that being right hand drive , I need the A/C and alternator on what would be your drivers side but is my passenger side with the power steering pump on the distributor side for hooking up to the rack . This maybe a big problem that I will have to make my own . Thanks Mike

10. On the Alan Grove site, look at instruction sheets. They show blowup of the bracket components. This might help you with "reverse", right drive bracket design.

Phil

Hnstray likes this.
  11. I am unaware of such an animal so would like to see a picture.;)

Hnstray likes this.
  12. Clements36

Clements36

It is what you guys do in Australia , cut up a four door car , is one was a pile of parts , I have seen pictures of a 1928 Studebaker UTE down there .
    Mike

13. Not really, the factory makes them.

14. Clements36

Clements36

You are right but , there are kit conversion , coach built and aftermarket fiberglass bodies , I am just trying to save a pile of parts the best way I can and to make it look like something nice .

15. Clements36

Clements36

Joe , what gauge metal did you use to make the bracket , looks like I will be making my own brackets for both the a/c and alternator . The power steering power steering pump on the distributor side , I will make also around the HEI . Thanks Mike

16. Clements36

Clements36

Joe , I would like the thickness of the metal you used , and you are right about the design , it would work better for me . Do you have any drawings of the bracket , because I can still your bracket design with the chevy 2 motor mount bracket by shortening the perch from the from to the mount on that side .
    Mike

17. Joe H

Joe H

I used 1/4", it's what I had. Probably to heavy, but it welded easy and I know its not going to break anytime soon. No patterns, I used cardboard and cut and welded as I went. Be aware of the belts you may need, I had to change the design a bit because i couldn't find the right size belt.

18. Clements36

Clements36

Joe , Thank I will send pictures of mine when I finish , trying to have the car done for Goodguys next year here in Columbus
    Mike

19. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Sounds like fun a n d dangerous at the same time ,im in !

20. Clements36

Clements36

Ok , you have wondering about the dangerous part .
    Mike