Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ridding Myself of Shelf Art and Wall Hangers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Ridding Myself of Shelf Art and Wall Hangers

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Lepus, Sancho, catdad49 and 7 others like this.
  2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

It certainly has a neat look to it. There's something great about tactile switches and dials, may have to take you up on building tips. I for one would love to see an instructional thread on it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Very cool project, Ryan. Sometimes we do need to just purge. I hear that you can post ads for free to move the stuff you are getting rid of.:D;)..........Don.

catdad49 and hrm2k like this.
  4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

very cool !!! Would you call that kinetic art ?
    Good for you for letting go things others can use. That was one of the first lessons I learned here on the HAMB.

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If you want to do one, I would be happy to help. Seriously. Just let me know what questions ya have and we can get ya going.

I rarely sell shit. Anything I have gotten rid of in the last decade or so has just gone to pals when they have a specific need.

Kinetic art. I like that.

6. I agree that it helps to pass on stuff your not going to use. I regularly sell or give away the car parts that I no longer have a use for. It clears up space in the shop, and gives me money for the parts that I do need. I just don't want to be the "hoarder" that my dad was...

7. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Very cool project. Wish I was half as handy. I'm sure you indexed the 60 year old screws, right? Yeah, I'm sure.

catdad49 likes this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Of course I did. I'm not an animal.

Sancho, adam401, williebill and 9 others like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

But how do you KNOW you won't need that injection unit? Nobody can tell the future, so I think it's best just to keep everything. Unless you have like, four copies of the same thing. Then it's OK to sell one.

The TV is neat. But you didn't build any rabbit ear antennae, so it's not really traditional, is it? ;)

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I rarely sell parts also, unless someone I know needs a part to actually use. Way better in a car than in my display case... that football tach is far better in your shoebox ford than on my gauge shelf....

Sancho, hrm2k, lothiandon1940 and 2 others like this.
  11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve always figured, when the day comes that I am no longer inspired or find comfort in my old hot rod parts... I will pass them on. With the current state of affairs, that day ain’t yet. I still need that feeling my haven, provides...

catdad49, Malcolm and The37Kid like this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I can relate to parting with things, just parted with a speedometer that sat on my desk for 6 months. Looked at it every morning and thought about the car in might be in some day, then thought about the parts I need today, mailing it within the hour. The TV project, that is rocket science, best left to people that were given the understanding at birth.

Bob

catdad49 likes this.
  13. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

14. raven

raven

I know what you mean. As I approach the magical 60 year mark, I find myself reading-evaluating purpose in my own life. Recently a young gun got his first hot rod and had all kinds of hopes for it. Understanding his lack of funds to accomplish his goal, I took a stroll through my shop recognizing parts that had sat on my shelves for nearly 15 years. I knew what I had to do. I remember my first hot rod and my lack of funds. I made up a goodie box and shipped it to him. He was appreciative of the gesture and I reclaimed some shelf space with the knowledge of perpetrating the hot rod sickness to a new generation.
    Spread some joy in a young one’s life....
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

really enjoy your video's, its got me thinking about getting into wood work

catdad49 likes this.
  16. Thats pretty cool! I have an old fiberglass Philco B&W I have been planning on repurposing. This might be what I do.

catdad49 likes this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have been in that position where I have collected for decades and get enjoyment from being out in the garage and looking at vintage parts but now I find I just want to simplify and get garage space back .

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

unique - as stated, needs rabbit ear antenna - all of my displays are static - only thing with movies is the 8MM projector - Ha!

catdad49 and brigrat like this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have a buddy with enough vintage speed parts in his collection to outfit 20 cars with Halibrand wheels, blowers, injection, scoops, vintage disc brakes, intakes, Eelco gauges,,, you name it, he has it. even has two vintage dragsters.

the fact that none of this is on a car means nothing to him. no guilt at all. it is a pretty incredible collection.

Hotdoggin DaddyO and The37Kid like this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

Livin the dream.

bowie likes this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Personally the things on my shelves are there to please me, and are sold when I need to buy something else that I find more pleasing. One wife of 42 years this Wednesday.:)

Bob

Just Gary likes this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of the "neat stuff" in my garage has no real cash value but is rather special to me and sometimes because of the way I came by it. A part that a friend gave me or a tool that has special memories involved.
    I just wish I had my shop done to where I could actually display some stuff just so I could actually look at it once in a while.

The37Kid likes this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wish I had taken the time to display the stuff I've had over the years, sure would help finding things people are talking about. That two hour search for some widget is time waisted, but I'll find stuff I forgot I had so it all balances out. Bob

24. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple of years ago, I walked into my shop, turned the lights on and just stood and looked around at all the signs, cans and other automobilia I had accumulated over the past 50-years and it struck me that I hadn't really looked at it in years - it was just "there". The fun had been in going to the garage sales, swap meets, etc.

I called up a guy I knew who is a big time collector, he came over and made me a cash offer, which was multiples of what I had paid and I sold them as one lot. Made enough to finance my project, don't have to worry about my kids tossing them all away, and sent then onward for others to enjoy.

charleyw and The37Kid like this.