Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest I Caught A Scammer Red Handed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I am currently in a conversation via email with : [email protected]. He say's that he is in Florida.
    I was referred to this guy by jasoncleverly722 from the Ford Barn. He had just joined the forum yesterday)

Story line:
    I am looking for the 1927 Model T Coupe Swing Arm Pivot Brackets. So I posted in the wanted sections of the HAMB and The Ford Barn.

"jasoncleverly722" The Ford Barn, messages me that he knows someone with a set of them. He gives me "[email protected] as the contact.

I email "roymiller4633@gmail,com" about them. He say's that he does have a set.
    I ask for pictures and he sends me pictures from an EBAY posting that I have been pondering to buy.
    I ask for a price and he gives me a very good and correct price of $40. The real EBAY seller wants $125 plus $12 shipping and is in Colorado. I have bought from him a few times in the past.
    [email protected] also said that he is in Oakland Park, Florida, after I asked him where he is located.
    I asked [email protected] where to send the payment he said that he only accepts payment via "cashApp".
    I asked if I could have someone swing buy to pick them up and am still waiting for answer on this...

I have not let on that I know where the fake pictures came from.

If I could figure out how to copy the entire email and post in this thread, I would. Copy and paste doesn't work because the email is split into sections.

I have contacted the EBAY seller to let him know what is going on and am waiting to hear back. I can post the EBAY header in case anyone wants check it out to see the item I'm talking about.

Funny how these scammers think we are stupid. Some people with no clue will give them their money.

Be careful. Be diligent.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Make sure to go back to the Ford barn and report the member that referred you as a scammer to the mods, so he can be banned before he gets somebody

HotRod33, Never2low, Tim and 15 others like this.
  3. error404

error404
    from CA

Glad to hear that! Unfortunately it's probably just a drop in the bucket :-\

Boden likes this.
  4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Yes it is. At least we have two parties involved now.

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

He's been reported before. If I report him now, I'll lose out on more information from him. Keeping him on the hook for as long as I can.

46international, Boden and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

My wanted ad in the wanted section has generated about 10 scam messages similar to that

Flathead Dave and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

Hey FD,
    If it is that important to you, it is always pretty easy to do a print screen on your keyboard and then use something like a Word Document. Better yet, use Microsoft Paint to get the whole thing and cut out the stuff you don't want to show everyone.
    upload_2020-6-11_11-19-40.png upload_2020-6-11_11-24-23.png
    You can open any email full size or to keep it smaller in size, do the screen shot as you wish. It is pretty easy. Also, the notification to the Ford Barn website should also be in place to show what people are capable of doing. We all have enough to worry about, let alone someone trying to make a quick buck on unsuspecting people.

Jnaki

Flathead Dave likes this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I thought about doing a screen shot or print screen . Will that give me the entire email? The email is split into several sections thanks to yahoo.
    The scammer gave me address to someone's house. Could be the scammers house. Don't know.
    I used Zillow to look it up.

raven likes this.
  9. All you are doing is giving him more time to screw other people. He is not going to give you any useful information. If you think addresses or anything else he provides will have anything to do with him you are kidding yourself.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boden, Squablow, Hot Rod Nut and 5 others like this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yes , please report him and get him banned before he is able to screw someone

11. JROTTEN

JROTTEN

A couple of months ago I had a similar experience on a car I have for sale in the classified section. He wanted to buy a car I have listed, told me it was for his brothers birthday, said he was an officer in the air force, and was overseas and therefore couldn't receive phone calls. Wanted to know if I had a PayPal account, even went as far as sending me info on how to do it. The next day, he contacts me and asks if I opened an account. Funny thing is, he contacted my brother the next day with the same song and dance about a car he has for sale. So, PayPal isn't as secure as they claim to be...

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

You're right. 10 years ago I made a purchase off of ebay and used paypal to send the payment for a 27 Coupe door from Canada.
    I got the door but the scumbag in Canada back doored my paypal account and wiped out my credit card.
    He was found by the authorities and prosecuted and I didn't have to lift finger except to notify paypal and my bank.

j-jock likes this.
  13. Scammers remind me of mosquitoes...

14. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Good for you...one can never be too careful! I would also suggest reporting him now before he screws more people.....

15. I like to only work with U.S. Postal money orders when buying or selling. Recently sold a 3 speed floor shifter on here, buyer sent money order, shifter was shipped and he received it. You can track every movement and if there are issues it is a Federal matter. Federal crime, federal time. Really makes a scammer think, is it worth it.

j-jock, loudbang, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In Kansas City they are on craigslist trying to sell other peoples boats every day. The scammers are so unbelievably stupid, yet occasionally some poor unsuspecting person gets hooked and reeled in.

Filing a mail fraud claim is a joke. A friend of mine sent Moore's Salvage in Rapid City SD a money order for over $400 for some 1937 Plymouth trim and bumpers, and they didn't ever respond to him. A mail fraud claim was filed, he got one email from the USPS that the claim had been filed, and nothing now for over a year.

A mail fraud claim has as much risk to the perpetrator as our justice system does to criminals. Low risk of prosecution, and high reward for being a fucking thief.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

One way we use paypal successful, is to create an account at your bank just for PayPal. We use our old business account. And then never keep much cash there. We transfer money from our active account to the old business account that is linked to PayPal. It breaks the chain. Has worked for me, for years.

Bones

Never2low, j-jock, fauj and 8 others like this.
  18. I have checked into some of the "scam" boat ads. When I ask if I can come look at it, I never get a reply...

19. I have collected a Word.doc with over 100 scam letters and emails. Most are obviously Nigerian being written in humorous pig-English. I am really disappointed in these scammers. When they first sprung on the scene a few decades ago they sent out very nice letters on watermarked stationary, good English and ink signatures. Lately they have degraded to really bad English emails.

20. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

"Roy Miller" was the same name of scammer that found me when I was looking for original '32 parts on the FOrd Barn a few years ago, he had pictures pirated from the internet of real legit '32 parts but his prices were way too cheap for what he claimed to have and then he wanted me to pay him Western Union to a Wal-mart in Louisiana when he claimed to be in TX ???..............that is funny they are using the same scammer name.

21. I just seen where a poor bastard in Missouri sent a money order to guy for a car, then somehow the guy's wife mails the guy the receipt for the money order !
    Of course the guy has broken off all communications and won't answer emails, in today's day and age it's hard for me to understand how someone could get conned into such things, but criminals work hard to screw people.

22. goldmountain

goldmountain

I looked up your want ad to see what it was you needed. I made up a couple out of scrap that was basically the right shape but then I managed to find my old ones. If my memory improves and I manage to find them, I'll let you know.

23. Justin Cuffe

Justin Cuffe

I also got nearly caught by this scam on the Ford Barn today. Thanks to the OP for posting this on here. I knew the deal for the ‘39 transmission tower seemed too good to be true. I will be reporting the guy that put me onto Roy Miller on the Ford Barn.

j-jock likes this.
  24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

@Flathead Dave judo to you for posting this PSA:). I posted to the want ads for a couple of parts and I received answers from low post count “ members . No bueno. I do not bother replying if low post or name not seen with any regularity on here. Fortunately, I never seem to need a rare part , so I can wait or buy from a reputable company.

25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

No go joe on PayPal for me . If I sell something it is U.S. postal money order and I can cash it at the Post Office while I am there.

warhorseracing likes this.
  26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Thank you

27. clem

clem

probably the same person. If he is banned, won’t he just start another account.

28. adam401

adam401

This has been gone over before and is pretty simple. A guy has 1 post and responds to your want ad that he has a rare part youve been looking for for cheap. Thats a warning sign. All of a sudden a guy is out of town with a weird story and cant live without your belly button project car that's been for sale for 2 months. Thats a red flag.

j-jock, lurker mick and RICH B like this.
  29. raymay

raymay

What some scammers may not realize is when they attempt these transactions across State lines, it becomes a Federal offence. Several years ago we sent wired a $1000 deposit on a car said to be in Pennsylvania that turned out to be just pictures they copied from the internet. Days later after traveling to PA, waiting for hours at the storage facility and then finding their cell phones were now inactive, it was clear we had been scammed. We went back to the original website, found more people in other States who had been scammed, learned more alias names the scammers were using and with the help of PA and NY authorities a Federal investigation was started. The scammers used things like tract phones and one of them apparently did have proper ID to receive wired payments. Within months we were notified that the scammers were arrested in Colorado and ended up in jail. As part of their sentence they had to start paying restitution to those providing information for the original complaint. We did only receive some of our money back but the fact that they did get caught and ended up in jail made up for the remaining amount of our loss.

j-jock and charleyw like this.
  30. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

So you really didnt catch them red handed, but theyve got you on the line, all the while youre thinking youre smarter than them, theyve got 15 others on the hook, and 10 more email accounts with 20 others on the hook on each one.
    Report/block/ban/etc and move along.