Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Elec. Fuel Pumps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John Metalsky, Jun 13, 2020.

1. John Metalsky

John Metalsky

Car is a "49" Ford Coupe. Original gas line ran from the tank, up and over the rear end axle. I have lowered the rear of the car with 3" blocks. So the outlet of the tank is in line with the center of the axle...originally it was above the axle. Where to mount the elec. fuel pump? I see that a lot of guys mount the pump on the driver side frame just below the door in front of the rear wheel. Okay...no problem but, the line from the tank....is the problem for me? If we run the line up and over the axle...will the gas make it to the pump...simple question and answer for some but for me...it is a BIG problem!!!! Also...which pump do you guys recommended. Engine is a SBF 302 with 500 CFM Edelbrock. HELP...Thanks

2. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I'd keep the mechanical if possible and add a return line...

RmK57 and squirrel like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Is there some reason you can't use a mechanical pump, mounted on the engine?

The pump will probably work mounted ahead of the axle, it's not optimum, but still functional. As back as far as you can get it, and as low as you can get it, are what you're looking for.

wraymen and jimmy six like this.
  4. John Metalsky

John Metalsky

5. John Metalsky

John Metalsky

Engine is from a "92" Mustang, was fuel injection...now carb. Will mount close to the tank and go from there. Thanks for the help!

6. squirrel

squirrel

What does it take to swap the front cover, and add a fuel pump eccentric? I'm not familiar enough with the later SBF to know.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Carter p4470 on my F100 with exactly the same setup for several years with never a problem.

8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Mechanical pumps can be made to work well, the trick with them is supply. I had issues until I ran two 3/8" runs of steel tubing from the dual sump in my fuel cell to a tee at the fuel pump. Wow what a difference!!! My Poncho 462 really romped after doing that..

Theres something about pulling liquid through a line that differs from pushing it. You don't want too small of a line but you also don't want to big of a line or the wall of fluid gets too heavy for the pumps vacuum.two 3/8" lines seemed to be perfect for my Carter mechanical. I had the intake port opened to 3/8" and screwed a piece of steel pipe into it then screwed a 3/8" three port tee onto that..

bobss396 likes this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might want to consider an inertia cut off switch if you go with the electric fuel pump only.

Info from a supplier's web site:
    "Inertia Activated Fuel Pump Shut-Off Switch will cut power to an electric fuel pump after an impact of 10 to 12 G's or higher*, reducing the risk of post-crash fires caused by pressurized fuel sprayed from ruptured fuel lines. Resets with a simple push on the top of the switch".
    Just a thought.

10. squirrel

squirrel

An oil pressure switch is also a good idea...I like the three terminal PS-64 type, but there are others.

11. I use an LPG tachometric relay.

It runs the fuel pump for a few seconds once the ignition is turned on and shuts down.

Once you turn the key to start the engine the fuel pump starts working.

It get it's signal from the ignition system and as long as the coil is supplying sparks it runs.

Cut the sparks and it cuts off.

Not as simple as the oil pressure switch but it will prime the carb before trying to start.

Doesn't need a big accident to activate it either.

12. Mimilan

Mimilan

Use a Walbro FRB-13 pump, they can dry lift 48" [and USA made]
    6-8 psi
    43 GPH which will support 400+ HP

13. I had an electric pump mounted on the cross member ahead of the fuel tank( where the fuel tank mounted) The pump was below the top of the tank and about level with the bottom of the tank. From the standpoint of location it worked fine. I also used an Edelbrock fuel pump and had to plumb in a regulator to keep pressure at about 5psi.If I was going to use an electric pump again I would also plumb in a return line from the regulator back to the tank. I found the constant ‘dead heading’ shortens the life of the pump.

14. squirrel

squirrel

Do these exist outside of Australia?