Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I WAS OUT OF STEP UNTIL I FOUND THE HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 6, 2020.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was always a "Traditional" type of guy; I just didn't know it. I built my first Hot Rod in the early '60's (A typical 60's style "T"- Bucket with an early Dodge hemi) and had a good couple of years. Drifted through life after that and got into Corvette's (C2's) and then bought and restored a '51 Ford club coupe (my original high school car was one also; not nearly as nice.) I got the "Hot Rod" bug again and built a flathead powered '36 3-window. Through all of this, I never succumbed to the "Street Rod" style, but I thought I was one, because I drove my cars a lot. I then got into vintage dirt track racing, as I had become uncomfortable around the "Street Rod" crowd.

It was around this time (probably over 10 years ago; I can't find my "Join Date") that I found the H.A.M.B. I did a short intro, and never had a problem with acceptance (I think having owned 2 early Hemi powered cars and a '36 3-window helped). The only people that I ever had a bad time with turned out to be complete idiots anyway. Joining the H.A.M.B. crystalised the whole thing for me. I finally realized who I was and what I did. I have gotten "worse" over the years. Back in the day, I would consider a Pertronix to "solve an ignition problem". These days that is out of the question, as I have learned it is better to solve problems than to "band-aid" them.

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately identified with it and what Danny was saying.

Count me in.:)

2. read from the sidelines for about two years before I joined then in 2008 bit the bullet haven't looked back, made some great friendships from the HAMB, got started at Eagle Field because of the HAMB, so all in all its been a great ride so far............

3. oldcootnco

oldcootnco

My son in law was the one that got me to join the HAMB. He also sold me a 29 ford truck( still not done) I like traditional stuff and the info I have found here is priceless. Thanks to all that contribute there vast knowledge.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I made my intro on my 10,000th post. I wanted to be sure I was going to like the place before I did it.

5. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

HRP Great Story! Your story will help each of relive how we got here today! Thanks to your ingenuity! Thank You!

By the time HAMB found me, I was deep into Driving to events like Americruise, Street Rod Nats, Back to the Fifties, Nat's North and many other smaller events. At that time we were driving a different '40 Sedan and logging about 10,000 miles a year on it. Never liked Billet or mono chrome look or the tweed interiors. Enjoying HAMB and trying to know when to keep my mouth shut... lol

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    bowie and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. rivguy

rivguy

I found the HAMB during the rat rod epoch. I bought a Rhino records CD collection of early hot rod rock. There was a book with a lot of early day cars. A lot of the hot rods were four cylinders and kind of rough. That attracted me as I never had the money to have the hot new set up. I found the new Hop Up books and that was another inspiration. I'm 65 years old and I've always liked cars and bikes. I rode bikes and Harleys for a long time, over thirty five years. I've had a lot of 1950's 60's and 70's cars over the years. I even tried to build a lakes type car out of a '22 Dodge. My preference is really for the cars from the 50's '60s and 70's. I was heavily into bikes until almost fifteen years ago. I like newer sports and performance cars also. I like coming here because I enjoy seeing the skills that the members bring to their car building. Welding, machining, fabricating, painting, engine building. I can turn wrenches and have fixed a few motors on bikes and cars but i'm hoping I can up my skill level. I like traditional cars and I like cars that are authentic to their time. I grew up through the whole Street Rod thing of the 70's but I preferred reading books by Tex Smith. I think that a Hot Rod and early custom should be traditional. If you want a new Corvette motor or Ford Coyote buy the car they come in. Today's cars are amazing but you can't turn a '55 Chevy into a Hell Cat, Well I guess you can but that takes a whole lot of money and ruins the original car, in my opinion. I've got one oldie right now. It's a 1951 Jaguar Mark VII. It's a bucket seat, four on the floor car, that I bought from the original owner's estate sale. His three sons grew up with the car and they all learned to drive in it. It was a family car until the owner got too old to deal with the clutch in traffic, so he parked it. My goal is to get it up and running, get it fixed up and repainted and drive it. I don't know if it's a proper car to discuss on this forum, but I'll still be checking in every day.

hotrodharry2 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. I lurked for a year or so before @49ratfink talked me into joining in September of 2006.

13+ years later and I still haven't done an introduction post (though there's kinda one in my profile).

I guess things were different back in 2003 when @HOTRODPRIMER joined, 'cuz I have yet to be "beat to a proverbial pulp" by a fellow HAMBer.

UPDATE: D'oh! :eek: ... what have I just done?

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    HOTRODPRIMER and Just Gary like this.
  8. derbydad276

derbydad276

I had totally gotten out of the car scene ... Thank God ... I missed the early 90's Billet Thing ...
    my kids got me back into it ...
    First with my daughter , after she saw the Disney movie (Miracle in Lane 2 ) a movie about a kid in a soap box derby car ... she and I built one ...we got the local high school's body shop class to paint it for us ... the Teacher turned me onto The HAMB...after he said he got the Inspiration for the paint from 50's Bonneville and Dry lake cars on here...
    shortly after I joined .. my oldest turned 16, and wanted the old pickup truck I bought him to
    look (Cool)... So naturally... I looked on here and found inspiration ... He was told he had the coolest car in school by several people ... God Knows its all about trying to look cool while you're a Senior in High School ... This Web-Site has helped me make new friends, Martin & Larry helped me pull off a bucket list item by having my car in the Detroit Autorama ... Hell even the Single Finger Speed Shop guys took me under their wing and gave me a Jacket ... something tells me its only gonna get better from here !

9. If they'd only started you in those corrective shoes we wouldn't have this problem........

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess I've been out of step my whole life. My love of things Hot Rod ends about 1970. I never dug the resto rod craze back then, or cushy street rods, or billet stuff. I have always just liked the ol time shit.I read about the HAMB repeatedly in Rod&Custom from when it started, and always knew, it would jive with my tastes. Finally gave in to hunting and pecking on a computer in 2011, first thing I did was sign up here! I guess I'm still out of step; but at least I'm preaching to the choir! VIVA la HAMB!!!

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    HOTRODPRIMER and hotrodharry2 like this.
  11. Rand Man

Rand Man

Around the turn of the century, I built the’57 Chevy I had wanted in high school; exactly the same. No part newer than probably 1979. I built a period correct rod before it was a “thing”. I joined a local car club and the car was constantly picked apart and ridiculed for not being up to date. Turns out most of those guys had only recently gotten into cars, where I had been a car guy since a child. I have vivid memories as a toddler watching 77 sunset strip or an old Elvis movie, I noticed the hot rods.

I didn’t think there was a club I belonged in until I saw Ryan and a few choice traditional rods rolling down Range Line in Joplin, MO one Saturday morning, August 2004.

HOTRODPRIMER and hotrodharry2 like this.
  12. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Wow... I've been here since '09? Hmmm... I never liked the "trendy" evolution of Hot Rods & Customs. When "they" began painting everything Easter-eggy colors... and I mean the bodies, chrome pieces, bumpers, grilles... everything... I felt a little errpy but kept it to myself. Well... no I didn't, but "they" said I should. I mean I'm no stranger to not fitting in, but "they" were desecrating the cool ol' cars! The tweed interiors, tilt columns, billit wheels; BIG ones... square head lights in round cars... and the graphics... ooohhhh... I'm gettin' errpy again...
    When a buddy at the shop I worked at turned me on to the H.A.M.B.... Hallaluyah I was saved!

13. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I think you must have done something right since your posts are always received with respect and consideration even if people don't agree with you. I enjoy your input daily along with so many other like-minded "hoodlums". Being a child of the '50's, I never thought being called a hoodlum would feel good ! I hope to meet you someday at the Lonestar Roundup or maybe the Bayou Roundup if this Covid-19 shit ever gets under control. We can give old Ryan a ration of shit. I would truly be alone if not for HAMB and Jalopy Journal. Take it easy, HRP, and be safe.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  14. X-cpe

X-cpe

Googled 'hot rod', Hokey Ass Message Board was near the top of the list. Figured something with a name like that couldn't be all bad. Lurked for 4/5 years before joining a couple of years ago. (One of the very few things I have joined.) While not a strict traditionalist, I knew in 1980 that I wanted a late 50's/early 60's vibe. (My computer skills are also from that era.):) I love the depth and breadth of knowledge here. The variety of opinions is great also. The ones you disagree with help too because you have to know why and that sharpens you up.

15. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I've been into Hot Rods since 1954. Never knew about the HAMB 'til 2007, when I bought a 4in. chopped 32 Ford 4dr. Buddy tipped me off about the HAMB and I was off and running. More stuff about 32's than I ever imagined. When I finally got enough nerve to ask a question about a 32 4 dr. I asked HRP. A question about what was the configuration of the front seat, my 4dr had Model A bucket style seats. Danny was a fount of usable information, pictures of a 4dr front seat, how and where it mounted. I was amazed as to what he knew about 4drs, 'course he HAD one at the time. Danny knew I was a Newby, but never treated me that way. That's one of the reasons he's one of my FAVORITE HAMB guys. And I'm really keeping track of his "Traditional images that need no explanation". My favorite HAMB piece. HRP, You Da Man!! BILL RINALDI

HOTRODPRIMER and The37Kid like this.
  16. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

My screen-name is no longer quite as appropriate for me, but I've made my bed, so I'll stick with it. Happy to have found this site, along with the Garage Journal next door.
    I've gone through the same cycles, but have never had the vehicle(s) to spend the moola on. Now I'm collecting parts...
    Good post, HRP!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Sometimes it takes awhile to figure out what you want and where you belong. This site is not for everyone. I could go on and talk about this and that but you have to have a certain feeling to keep coming back here. Call it nostalgia for us older guys, But for the younger guys maybe it's trying to figure out a way that's simpler. But still works without the hoopla. I should just shut up. When you know what i'm talking about, YOU WILL KNOW IT. Welcome to simpler times. We love having you here. Thanks Lippy.

HOTRODPRIMER, X-cpe and Desoto291Hemi like this.