Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old sign value help

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by ol'stinky, May 27, 2020.

1. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Howdy folks, I saved this old sign from getting tossed into a dumpster this morning. It's big and heavy. Most of the letters had fallen into the bottom of it, but only a couple are missing. The letters are made of glass and the sign is sheet metal. It's really cool looking and I'd love to keep it, but I don't have space to store it. I was thinking about putting it up for sale, but I have no idea what it would be worth. I know there has to be some value in it even in its current condition.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Big AL Neenyo and tractorguy like this.
  2. pumpman

pumpman

Is it double sided and do you have more glass letters or is it as pictured?

3. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

It is double sided and I have most of the letters, there are a couple missing. It's also illuminated, although the wiring is currently unusable.

4. pumpman

pumpman

These signs are becoming popular to collectors. If it was porcelain it would bring more money but the condition is good my guess $500 to $750 to the right buyer.

5. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Wow, that a little more than i expected you to say! do you think it would be worth it to restore and sell or should i just sell as is? It does have some rust holes in the bottom.

Big AL Neenyo likes this.
  6. pumpman

pumpman

Original signs in good condition like yours are much more desirable to collectors so I would not do anything but gently clean it up. If you’re intent is to sell it do “as is”.

Big AL Neenyo and slv63 like this.
  7. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Thank you for your insight. I think I may hold onto it for a while and put some time into re attaching the letters and cleaning it. I'll enjoy it for a while. I do have one other question in case I do end up selling it. I think a majority of the signs weight is due to a very large power transformer inside, as well as a bunch of porcelain bulb sockets. If I were to gut the original lighting and replace it with something a little more modern, would that effect its value to a collector in the event that I end up trying to sell it?

8. pumpman

pumpman

Rewiring and replacing the old transformer will be a good thing for safety reasons. It will not hurt the value of the sign.

Big AL Neenyo and ol'stinky like this.
  9. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

don't try to improve it unless you're gonna keep it. if it were mine, i'd ask $500 and take 4

Big AL Neenyo, Squablow and ol'stinky like this.
  10. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

I posted it to a sign collectors group on FB and they are offering WAY more. I'm not going to be specific, but apparently Opal glass signs are a super rare item. I'm definitely going to sell it now, but I have to do a lot of research first. If you ever come across one, do yourself a favor and buy it. These guys went nuts over it.

Big AL Neenyo likes this.
  11. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Today I took the who thing apart and give it a good cleaning. I also scrubbed all of the letters and laid them out to see what was missing. It's missing a large B and a small U. Using a propane torch, so scrap wood and a vacuum I have begun experimenting with forming my replacement letters. I still haven't perfected it, but I have one successful attempt at a B.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that’s damn cool^^^

13. pumpman

pumpman

Nice job! I think you're on to something.

14. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Yesterday I was able to make my second letter. I didn't have a chance to start installing the letters yet. I ended up not touching the electric stuff inside, I'll leave it for the next guy to deal with. But I did zip tie in some cheapo LED string lights just so I can see it light up when I'm done.

6inarow and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Finished it up today, added some more lights inside. I used clear silicone to stick the letters back in.[​IMG][​IMG]

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

That is totally cool! Good work on the letter fabrication as well!

ol'stinky likes this.
  17. pumpman

pumpman

Dang man it turned out really good! Very nice,

ol'stinky likes this.
  18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

That’s a great piece now, nice job.

19. Fantastic old sign and pretty cool that you fabricated the missing letters. Glad you did a little research before "restoring".

I'm still amazed that in this age of eBay, American Pickers and the interwebs people there are still people who don't realize old signs have value (the other side of that coin is people think their scrappy old piece of whatever is worth a fortune :rolleyes: ). I don't have a lot of old signs, just a handful, but I've never paid for one. All were either headed for the dumpster or already there.

ol'stinky likes this.