Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical sbc switching oil pans and gaskets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Jun 12, 2020.

1. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I purchased a rebuilt older sbc(early 350 I think) with the oil dipstick on the driver's side going through the block, not the pan.. The idiot put a chrome oil pan on the rebuild and of course it leaks(badly).. My question is; I have a good almost new GM pan but has a dipstick cutout on the passenger side of the pan and I'm wondering if I can use it on my rebuilt engine.. I don't need a pan with any cutout because the dipstick goes through the block on the driver's side.. I'm just wondering if I use the GM pan, will the gasket just cover up the dipstick hole I don't need.. I hope some of this makes sense to you sbc engine guys.. Thanks in advance for any help....

2. squirrel

squirrel

The pan for the early engines has an "outie" that clears the dipstick....

you need the correct pan

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Thanks squirrel, I just went out and checked, sure enough has an outie on the drivers side... Guess I'll be buying a new pan... Shit

mitch 36 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Ted Chandler

Ted Chandler

I have scuffed the chrome on the mounting surface with scotchbrite and then used the 1 piece felpro gasket with good results. Just another option.

egads, swade41 and scrap metal 48 like this.

5. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I do believe that the lower dip stick tube will not clear that pan. If you don't run that lower tube you run the risk of the dip stick not going straight into the pan and possibly hitting the crank. Your choice.

Pat

bantam and scrap metal 48 like this.
  6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Which one piece oil pan gasket do I need...

7. Ted Chandler

Ted Chandler

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-1885
    This is the gasket for pre 1975 sbc engines with the thin lip at the front. Now, with an aftermarket pan, you will probably need to measure the front cutout in order to know if the thin or thick gasket is required.

8. 54vicky

54vicky

do not forget the timing chain seal to match as they are different.

Stogy and scrap metal 48 like this.
  9. Country Joe

Country Joe

Ericnova77 posted this picture on another thread. Be sure to measure your new pan before ordering the one piece gasket.
    OilPanSealMeasure640.jpg

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I just started my engine for break in and at the end of 20 minutes I had a pretty good oil leak(OK, massive).. I haven't taken the pan off yet, but that's where all the oil is coming from.. I know they used the 4 piece seals and the aftermarket chrome pan.. It's probably a combination of wrong pan, gasket and seal.. I'll take the pan off Monday and see.. Good information so far.. Stay tuned....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. 47ragtop

47ragtop

If you also have the el cheap chrome timing chain cover throw that POS away along with the oil pan. Ask me how I know. Later Bill
    . .

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

It has a stock timing cover...

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. I thought the chrome oil pans and timing covers where freebies when purchasing anything over $19.99 at the swap meet !!

they are all junk. I have had luck scuffing the ..., ahem ..... “ chrome “ straightening the sealing surface and using a gasket with either gasket glue, gasket shellac or a thin bead of silicone along with a gasket.

14. 54vicky

54vicky

if all else fail use a bigger fuking hammer.then paint it flat black

15. Ted Chandler

Ted Chandler

I really hate that OS-34510-T gasket, it is "universal" for either side dipstick! The unused side just looks like a great place to develop a leak to me. Here is the Felpro number that is for driver side dipstick with a thick front lip #1880

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

WELL,,, after taking off the front exhaust pipes because I'm running a crossover pipe and removing the passenger tie rod running under the oil pan, I got the oil pan off... It has a one piece gasket that fits the block fine, however when I lay it on the cheap-ass oil pan it doesn't fit the front of the pan unless you push down on it and then it pulls the side of the gasket away from the holes.. I think Country Joe has the answer.. The oil pan is the wrong one.. The pan I have shows 2 3/8" at the front gasket cut out and I need an old one with 2 1/4" at the front of the pan.. Does anybody have a part# for a stock GM oil Pan, drivers side dipstick for a 1970 350 engine?? Again, thank to everybody thats tried to help... Maybe I'll get my latest project on the road this summer...

17. Country Joe

Country Joe

I posted that picture to show how to determine if you need a thin or thick front seal. But I would go with the gasket Ted Chandler suggested with the single dip stick provision.

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If I change the gasket to fit the pan I have then it won't fit the block.. The one piece gasket I have now is virtually new and fits the timing cover fine and only has one hole for the dipstick..The pan is shit, so I'd rather buy a new Pan with a 2 1/4" depth at front(like an original is).. Then the gasket will fit both the pan and the block... I just don't know how to buy the right pan.. When looking online, the don't list the front depth like you^^^ showed in your post....

19. Ted Chandler

Ted Chandler

The 2 1/4" pan was used prior to 1975. In the aftermarket, it may be really tough to know what you are getting before you measure it yourself. That is why there are so many different gaskets. You'll get it! At least you figured out why there is a leak!

20. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Thanks Ted.. At least now I know I need a 1974 and older pan...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Well I couldn't find the correct older pan so I did a little research and decided the old original style pan took a thin gasket and the new style pan(1975-1979) took a thick gasket.. My leak problem was a new style(1975-1979) pan with the old style one piece gasket.. I just received a thick style gasket in the mail and trial fit it to the pan and it fits well.. I'm pretty sure that was my massive leak problem, so I'll get the old chrome pan and new gasket on this weekend and hopefully NO more leak.. I'll also adjust the noisy valves and fix the exhaust leak and will get to go for it's first test drive... I'm excited....

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  22. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help and suggestions... You think you know everything until you don't... Will post some pics once it's on the road, thanks again.....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. Just glad that it all worked out for you.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  24. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Finally got the new pan gasket on and fixed all the leaks and drove it around the block today.. Had to have a beer to celebrate, at 9 AM....

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2020-6-30_12-14-17.png
    Glad you got 'er done! Cheers!

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  26. chargin03

chargin03

Beat it to fit and paint it to match.

27. 54vicky

54vicky

happy for you