Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How much cornhead grease to pack into my steering box?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Jun 12, 2020.

1. evintho

evintho

Yep! '54 Customline. Should I pack it in there all the way up to the top, half full, three quarters full?
    What have you guys done?

IMG_2361.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG

2. squirrel

squirrel

not full. About 1/3, maybe 1/2

lostone and juan motime like this.
  3. sunbeam

sunbeam

You got it out why not replace the bushings and seals and use the right grease

4. evintho

evintho

Already have and cornhead grease gets rave reviews as a steering box lubricant.

Country Joe likes this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

I filled mine to the fill cap with corn head grease. Mine's an F-1 but I don't see why it would make much difference. Later after it has warmed up and settled down a couple times, maybe top it off again.

seb fontana likes this.
  6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm with squirrel on this. About 1/2 full. The grease will climb the gears turning it back and forth during use.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I pack my 56. Never think about it.. 8 years now.

8. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I filled the steering box on my f100 with 80w90 and it leaks out from near the top where the shaft goes to the pitman arm. So I bought some JD corn head grease and plan to put it in the box. I'm thinking the corn head oil will mix with the existing 80-90 and make a sloppy mess that will still leak out. I'm asking you guys if you know a way I could drain out the 80w90 without removing/disassembling the box.... Thanks for any advice, Greg.

9. catdad49

catdad49

Another HAMB History lesson. Cornbread grease (?), Would it suprise anyone to know that John Deere is one of the marketers? NGLI "O" Type grease, originally intended for cornhead gear boxes (or any slow moving gearbox). Thanks, I guess I need to get out more!

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

So Squirrel, why not pack it all the way full? The only place open to the air is the little vent in the fill cap (some might not have) or inside the column tube. This grease is supposed to get more fluid with heat and might settle to the bottom of the box. Wouldn't it be best to have lots in there to make sure the top bearing on the worm has plenty?

lake_harley likes this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

If grease can't get to the bottom of the upper bearing, then add more, do it can.

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

We filled the 37 Hudson box on my deuce pu almost to the top, just left a little room for expansion.

13. Joe H

Joe H

Fill so the level will be 1/2 into the gears when in the car. A little more won't hurt, but you need expansion room. My '41 Chevy truck gear box used a full tube, doesn't leak, and only cost a few dollars, not sure why so many look down on the JD grease, it's designed for slow turning gear boxes and you don't get much slower then a steering box!

dirty old man and Ford52PU like this.
  14. evintho

evintho

I listened to all feedback. Some said half full, others said 'pack it'. I split the difference and filled it about 3/4 full. I found a video showing how it tends to liquify when agitated.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTQ6KuHKEgQ

As Joe H said....'it's designed for slow turning gear boxes and you don't get much slower then a steering box!'

I'm sure it'll be fine! Can't wait to see how it works with my Saturn EPAS!
    Thanks for all the feedback!

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

Max Gearhead and warhorseracing like this.
  15. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Put half a tube in my Studebaker pick up box.

16. 54vicky

54vicky

I do not want anyone driving near me that is turning the steering wheel enough to cause the grease to expand.it is a slow box not a rally box as noted.I filled mine to the top still have not figured out how to turn left and right fast enough while driving to get it to leak.only been driving for over 60 years I guess I have time.I hope

dirty old man and Tman like this.