Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Three speed Saginaw stuck in second gear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim tempo, Jun 13, 2020.

1. slim tempo

slim tempo

I filled the transmission with gear oil, checked the linkage once more and took the '64 Chevy around the block. After I shifted into second gear, there was a clattering sound so I pushed in the clutch and tried to shift into neutral. No go. Stuck in second. I managed to limp home in second and got it onto the ramps. Climbed under to check the shifter arms. Neither would move. Is this the time to remove the 3 speed and go with an automatic? 008.JPG 001.JPG

Deuces likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Did you remove linkage to see if you can shift trans levers?

Elcohaulic and 1934coupe like this.
  3. Probably broke the collar off the 2-3 speedclutch.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

thought maybe it was in a Nash Rambler like from the old car song "Beep Beep"

sunbeam and Johnny Gee like this.

5. slim tempo

slim tempo

I removed arms. Had someone hold clutch to floor. Cannot move trans levers.

6. Pull the shift cover and you can see the problem.

Cosmo49, Truckdoctor Andy and 6inarow like this.
  7. rusty valley

rusty valley

take the side cover off, get the trans in neutral, put it back together and double -triple that the linkage is set up correctly.

6inarow likes this.
  8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

There is a little “ thing” that goes between the two shifter shafts that is supposed to not let one shaft shift until the other shaft is in neutral. Sometimes it gets a little worn and doesn’t do its job correctly. The floor shifters seem to accent that problem for some reason. Check that and like said, make sure your shifter it set right and don’t “ speed” shift it!

Bones

9. squirrel

squirrel

btw that's not a Saginaw transmission, it's a Muncie 318...

if you have to order parts, it might make a difference, or maybe not, since they didn't put Saginaw 3 speeds in cars back in 64

Take stuff apart, see what's up. Then give up on it.

Torkwrench, slack, Cosmo49 and 8 others like this.
  10. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

That would be too logical.

bobss396, alanp561 and Baumi like this.
  11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You just installed it ? You tested it on the bench before sticking it in the car, right ?

alanp561 likes this.
  12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I would pull the four bolts that hold it to thee bellhousing, remove the driveshaft and shifter and replace it with a 4 spd Saginaw. Cheap and would be fine if you don;t drive it like a madman. Lippy

alanp561 and choffman41 like this.
  13. slim tempo

slim tempo

It was in the car. I put the Hurst floor shifter in it. I have run it through all three gears. Today it stuck.

14. Wrench97

Wrench97

Pull the side cover most of the time it's the shift interlock that's broken or worn.
    Page 11 items 40,41,42, 50 to 54

Attached Files:

Atwater Mike and squirrel like this.
  15. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Manual transmissions are easy to fix with the tools and talent most have, or have access. No need to jump off a cliff and put in an automatic that in many cases you may not be able, or want, to fix.

16. oldsman41

oldsman41

Put a rock crusher in it if you want 3 pedals semper fi. 66-70 nam 67-68

Deuces likes this.
  17. slim tempo

slim tempo

Pulled the side cover. First/Reverse slider gear is in the middle of the second/third clutch sleeve and moves 1/2" either way. Still in second gear. I can't see inside the trans well enough to see what's stuck.

There is a guy near me with a Saginaw 3 speed from a 55-63 chevy and early corvette. Will that work with my driveshaft?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sure the shifter is adjusted correctly through the neutral gate? Try rocking the car when you shift it. You also have the "short" version of the Muncie 318 transmission. Stick a full synchro 3 speed, or even a 4 speed in the car, but you'll need to shorten the front driveshat and swap yokes to do that. You'd also have to do that with an automatic, unless you can find a short aluminum Powerglide.

19. rusty valley

rusty valley

click the two shift arms on the cover to the center detent, neutral, then hold the cover up near the trans to see where the forks should slide into the slots on the gears. this will show which one is out of place. try to rock it back and forth while prying the out of place gear to move to where it should be. if you can get it to turn freely, you may see something else wrong, or it may have just slipped out of adjustment with those micky mouse clamps on the shift fork shaft

Cosmo49 and alanp561 like this.
  20. slim tempo

slim tempo

A guy has this Saginaw for sale near me. Is this a simple bolt-in? Early 55-63 Chevy 3 speed. trans.JPG

21. squirrel

squirrel

It's not a Saginaw, either, it's a Muncie 318. I guess you don't believe us.

If it has the same splines and tail housing length, then it should bolt right in.

22. squirrel

squirrel

btw, this is what a Saginaw 3 speed looks like. More bolts on the side cover, synchronized low gear, fine spline output shaft, different shift levers, etc.

saginaw.jpg

23. slim tempo

slim tempo

I believe, I believe. This is advertised as a Saginaw.

24. slim tempo

slim tempo

25. Mimilan

Mimilan

If you can locate a 67 ish Saginaw it would be a cheap upgrade to get
    synchro 1st gear.
    Literally a bolt in. [on a Tri-5 it requires a front driveshaft yoke swap]

The earlier saginaws were shorter [from an "X" frame]

alanp561 likes this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

64 and older Muncie 3 speed is coarse spline, 65-66 are fine. I think that's the year cutoff, it's been a while since I worked at the junkyard or the transmission shop.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd figure out exactly what was wrong with the one I have before buying a different one.
    If you have one ring moved back to it's "neutral" spot the other one should move. Low/reverse in that trans are not synchronized so you may have to rotate the driveshaft slightly to get things lined up.

alanp561 likes this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

If there's slop inside, I think the 2-3 synchro assembly can get jammed.

Of course he should get in there and figure out what's wrong with it. But that's me speaking as someone who's never been mystified by or scared of transmissions. Unlike most guys.

29. Mimilan

Mimilan

The sliding 1st gear can be a problem [my guess]
    my money is on the shift detent holding it in 2nd while 1st is still hanging [cause by improper shifter set-up] which explained the clattering sound.

Disconnect 1st/rev and get it into neutral, then see if 2nd /3rd will go into neutral

If the OP looks carefully the 3 speed can be cheaper than the side cover gasket :D
    I purchased 4 x 57 Chevy hubcaps and the vendor only accepted my offer if I took his SM318 with me.

alanp561 likes this.
  30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I can't help but think with a floor shifter just installed, did OP not adjust limit stop on shifter (if equipped) and went for his first power shift into second.

alanp561, sdluck and warhorseracing like this.