Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is the "measurement point" for Speedway Motors Rear 32 Coupe & Roadster Glass rear fenders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimMartley, Jun 13, 2020.

1. JimMartley

JimMartley

I just bought a completed older Fiberglass 32 3 window coupe and the rear tires hang out of the fenders by about an inch and a half. I see that Speedway Motors sells wider Rear Fenders but I don't know if the ones on this car are ALREADY wider than stock width.
    Any help would be appreciated, THANKS!!

Jim

2. Does the car have running boards on it? Pictures here would go a long way in answering your question.

lurker mick likes this.
  3. I have a pair of those wide rear fenders on one of my cars. It measures 13 inches from the frame to the outside edge on the front leading edge that bolts to the running board. Sticks out past the running board and looks like ass.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. JimMartley

JimMartley

Thanks for the input! I'm new to this board and just had the car delivered today.
    It DOES have running boards on it and the glass fenders that are on it now are even with the boards in the front of the rear wheel.

5. JimMartley

JimMartley

LOL... yours CAN'T look as bad as my car does with the tire sticking out part the lip of the fender and it looks like it has rubbed the tire on a few occasions.....Thanks!!

56don likes this.
  6. I would find a narrower rearend or some wheels that are offset enough to get the tires back under the fenders. In my opinion, the wider rear fenders look awful.

7. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Narrow the rear end? Different offset/ narrower wheels?
    56don types faster than I do.

8. Joe H

Joe H

My Chevrolet truck has 2" wider rear fenders, to keep from being so noticeable, I angled the running boards out 1" so the fender is only 1" past the running board. Once together it wasn't hardly noticeable.

Attached Files:

9. JimMartley

JimMartley

Thanks for all the suggestions. guess I will live with it for now. ANY option to correct this is not in my financial near future, having dropped my "spare change" to just buy this car and there are a few OTHER pressing mechanical matters that I want to dive into right now......

10. ....Sounds like it may not have the wider fenders. Pictures will tell. Like suggested by others, you may have to eventually find a narrower rear if you can't live with the 1 and 1/2 inch overhang. Post up some pics when you can so we will be able to see what you're working with.

11. JimMartley

JimMartley

Thanks, I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

In all honesty, I am NOT used to people being THIS willing to share their experience as freely as folks do in this board. I spent MANY years on Corvette sites and 90% of the people there had NO idea what their car was all about, other than what wax they used.....LOL!!

bchctybob and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. This is the car Don is talking about, you can see where the rear fender sticks out past the running board. HRP

[​IMG]

13. If the rod in question is in the original poster's avatar, narrower rear wheels might fix it. Maybe some additional wheel offset toward the frame might be possible.

Also remove a rear wheel and see if there is a spacer behind the wheel.

Phil

lothiandon1940 and X38 like this.
  14. ......Yeah, I hear you. I own a Corvette, have for 43 years, but I don't consider myself a " 'Vette person". Some folks just think they have to buy into the Corvette lifestyle. Most everyone here is more than willing to help out anyone who asks, that's the beauty of this place. Arrogance and egos don't generally last long on here.:)

15. So, assuming that the car in your avatar is the one you are referring to, like Phil mentioned, a different wheel set-up might solve your issue. Cheaper than narrowing your existing rear or finding (buying) and replacing yours with a narrower one. Truth be told, judging from the picture only, it doesn't look all that bad. It was very common back especially in the 70's and 80's for guys to find whatever "production rear-end" they could acquire and use it. Consequently, and I say this knowing I may get slammed, it has become sorta "traditional" , if you will, to leave these alone, unless they are just completely ungainly looking. If you decide to leave it, you may be able to rectify the rubbing situation by different wheel/ tire arrangement or by tweaking the suspension a bit. Don't think you mentioned the rear suspension, but I'm guessing coil-overs just looking at the picture. Most can be adjusted. Good luck, keep us informed. 354457.jpg

pprather likes this.
  16. JimMartley

JimMartley

OK, I spent most of today putting a "Hard wired USB plug" for my cell phone and GPS and also finding a way to properly and SAFETLY attach just the hood top that came with the car. Here are the requested pictures of my rear fender dilemma. It looks like the rear was installed a bit off center also but I will address THIS at a later date. Left rear 1.jpg Left Rear.jpg Rear Fender width measurment.jpg Right Rear 1.jpg Right Rear.jpg Left rear 1.jpg

17. Yeah, Jim, they don't look like 2" wider fenders from the pics. I could be wrong. The best "tell" would be a shot of where they meet the running boards, thus my earlier inquiry about whether you had running boards or no. If you can't live with that amount of tire outside the fender, looks like your options, as mentioned, are a narrower rear or different wheel offset.