Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Caught in the rain with my roadster!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Driver50x, Jun 12, 2020.

1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

One of the best rides EVER in The Peter Beater was a run to the Frankenmuth car show. Up I-475 north in a torrential downpour. Fase Eddie and me in our T Buckets absolutely hauling ass (90MPH+). Crouch behind the windshield, let-r-rip. We still got drenched but it was fun!

2. Country Joe

Country Joe

I used to love the 4 rooster tails, 20' high.

Driver50x likes this.
  3. 48stude

48stude

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Driver50x likes this.
  5. Driver50x

Driver50x

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That one rolled in fast , was parked in that area in my 31, the rain started coming down hard, my dad and I drove to another area closer to the buildings and luckily out of the area that flooded.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Driver50x likes this.
  7. 48stude

48stude

Louisville 92 It rained 9" in a very short time. It pretty much sucked . Bill

Tman, upspirate and Driver50x like this.
  8. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rod & Custom editor Bud Bryan trip to Detroit Nats 1972 001.jpg Rod & Custom editor Bud Bryan trip to Detroit Nats 1972.jpg Traveling to the 1972 Nats in Detroit Mich. with Bud Bryan & Tom Medley we hit lots of rain,---See story.

Driver50x likes this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

No pics in the rain, but yes, I have a topless and fenderless "A" on Deuce rails Hiboy.
    And yes, of course I've been caught in the rain with it, and yes, I've gotten wet:), and that's part of owning a roadster in GA, as is the incomparable fun of driving it on nice days.
    Sort of a trade off, one balances the other.

Driver50x likes this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Not sure why it took me like 50 years to add a folding top to my old hot rod 28 roadster, built in 1959.
    Did always keep rain gear an beach towel. When RainX came out,I jumped on that stuff<great help.
    Owning another car with a top,had something to do with it.
    When I did get around to adding a folding top,I did a tech for HAMB;;
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...top-a-how-too-do-it-tech.857951/#post-9479688
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  11. You still get soaked when your moving unless you incorporate a back curtain too.

Driver50x and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. If you just drive fast enough, you stay relatively dry. It's those darn stoplights that always do me in.:eek:

Hnstray, Tman, flatheadpete and 4 others like this.
  13. atch

atch

I never could get the cowl vent on Clarence to seal up. It's getting a remake right now and the cowl vent is now welded closed. The first out of town trip in '93 after we finished the metal part of the top chop on Clarence was to the Springfield R&C Americruise. It had a windshield but no other glass at the time. So between the leaking cowl vent and no side glass I nearly drowned that trip. Here's a pic of Steve Osborn ("weeds" on here; RIP) somewhere on US 71 on the way from Pete & Jakes to Springfield. He had a removable top for the '29 roadster pickup in the pic, but it had been hot earlier in the day so we took that top off of the RPU and it was in the back of Clarence at the time I snapped the pic.

20181120_205003.jpg

Fortunately Clarence and I were parked over on the west (??) side where the rain didn't pool. That day on the fairgrounds I met the lady who now has been my wife since 2004.

The only topless car I've ever had was a C2 Corvette. When it started raining and the top was down I just went really fast 'til I came up to an underpass. Then I had the width of the roadway above to stop from speed. As you can imagine it took longer than that, so I usually got somewhat wet slowing down. But it took only a minute or two to put the soft top up so we would be dry thereafter.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  14. Not my roadster but pictures from inside IMG_5589.JPG my coupe at the time. IMG_3445.JPG IMG_5590.JPG IMG_5591.JPG

Driver50x and Jalopy Joker like this.
  15. 1940rpu

1940rpu

I have been caught several times in the rain in my roadster, just part of the open air package. I frequently don't even bother to put the top up. The only thing worse than driving in the rain in your roadster is not driving your roadster! lu ville 2012.jpg roadster rain.jpg

16. Getting soaked on the way out is a bitch, I can live with getting soaked on the way home though.

dirty old man and Driver50x like this.
  17. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Thought I was going to get in the garage before it poured....wrong! One mile to go and I got soaked. Rain drops hurt, glad it wasn’t hail. Some said when the top down the price goes up. So does the pain in the rain. But all in all, there’s nothing like a roadster, top on or off. IMG_2025.JPG

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

18. Isn't it a right of passage if you own a roadster? I'll forgo the bitching when I get soaked. I'll call it the real in to the club!

19. j3harleys

j3harleys

One of the many joys of driving a Roadster:D

20. toml24

toml24

A number of years ago while driving in Laguna Beach , CA. the area was hit by a sudden dense downpour of giant rain drops and suddenly here comes a mid-1960's or so Chevy Impala convertible with the top down. The young driver had a very distressed, agonized look on his face. He must have been trying to outrun the rain cell. I felt sorry for him. Every inch of that interior was going to be saturated.

Driver50x likes this.
  21. Right around 50 MPH the rain stops hitting you and blows over the windshield so if you don't turn left you're good to go.

Driver50x and dirty old man like this.
  22. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

About 12 years ago I took my Roadster to the Seaway mall Friday night cruise in. They had a very aggressively enforced rule that you were not allowed to move your car or even start your engine while they were drawing door prize tickets.

A storm was coming at 9pm so a lot of people had come early and already cleared out. I was about 45min from home so I was just climbing in to leave at 8pm when they started drawing those damn door prizes. One more minute and I would have been on the road and beaten the storm home.

Because so many people had left already, they had to re-draw most of the numbers. It took forever, sitting there with my hand on the start button watching the storm roll in, waiting for a bunch of retirees in cargo shorts and socks and sandals to win a new sponge to wash their corvette with.

Finally they finished giving away samples of wax and 8”x8” chamois and I could leave.

Rain hit hard about 2 miles from home.

My friend Travis was meeting me at the house to go out for beers and had beat me by a few minutes and was waiting in his car. He knew I was coming from the cruise night so he had parked across the street so I could get in the garage.
    I hit the garage door button and rolled in the garage with a big sigh of relief.

I had just shut the car down when I heard a strange crash.
    My OT car was on stands in the other side of the garage in the middle of an automatic to manual transmission swap. All the bolts were arranged on a cookie sheet under the car ready to stab in the new t5 the next morning. Travis had ran in the rain from across the street and came tear-assing in to the garage. When his wet shoes hit the concrete floor of the garage he fell on his ass and slid right under my car, hitting my perfectly arranged bolt tray and scattering them everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. George

George

My neighbor had a '29 Ford roadster. One day he & his wife headed over to Panama City for a big show. Beautiful weather but at some point it started pouring buckets down there. His wife wasn't happy, car didn't stick around long after that.

Driver50x likes this.
  24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you don't know what cold and wet is until you get caught in the rain on a motorcycle.

Driver50x likes this.
  25. People used to ask me, " what do you do when it rains ? My reply was simple, " you get wet "

26. the-rodster

the-rodster

Pulling into GG Nashville after an hour of driving in pouring rain...

GG Rain.jpg

lothiandon1940, Tman, hfh and 2 others like this.
  27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Preaching to the choir department and OT... if I was going to build a pure, bare-bones roadster I'd do it just like a motorcycle. I've had a few bikes and have been on long trips on them, so I have some experience there. Use totally waterproof wiring, and nothing under the seats at all. Keep all the electronics high and under the dash if possible. Have drain holes in all the low spots in the floor and lower door sills, removable rubber mats, etc.. NO wood in the door cards, seats or floor boards. Use the same upholstery materials as bikes or boats use, if not their OEM seats. I'd even consider "bucket" seats from the mower, farm or heavy equipment areas as they have drain channels or slots in the back of the seat bases to prevent pooled water. Heat / defrost might be helpful, too. A storable top and side curtains? And the obligatory pair of motorcycle rain suits, foul weather gear, gloves, etc.. Hell, even a full face helmet with intercom / cell hookups like the motorcycle guys have might also be a good idea. Luckily, I'm a coupe guy... but I have a different set of regular little problems to deal with.

Hnstray and Driver50x like this.
  28. wicarnut

wicarnut

Been There, Done That ! I wanted a Roadster, Had one, enjoyed it, but it got old getting wet/cold and after 7 years traded it for my 32 coupe that I finished and enjoyed 8 years. IMO Rain/shows/cruising never mix, here in Wisconsin it rains, ironically this spring going into summer we are having the best weather in years, myself, my cars are dressed up ready to jet and everything is cancelled = BUMMER ! A few shows coming up in July/August

Driver50x likes this.
  29. silent rick

silent rick

don't you hate it when even your boots get filled with water

Driver50x likes this.
  30. ratrod0

ratrod0

I was at that show, my dad and his car are pictured in that magazine

Driver50x likes this.