Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Any of you Detroit types remember Ron Ivy’s 58 Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Jun 13, 2020.

1. 95AD6736-CFDD-45D6-88BE-292140AF1155.jpeg 945ABE9F-30DB-4F0E-A2E1-8BC985380F15.jpeg So...first time I saw..or should say heard this car..I was sitting at a local cruise night, early 2000’s..hear something rumbling in..look over and see this all black, black steel wheels, pie crust slicks, sneaker pipes uncapped by the front fenders..I ran to see this thing...driver gets out, older guy, Hawaiian shirt, kind of looked like Captain Lou Albano and Chef Boy Ardee had a love child and his hair turned grey...he pops the hood, I said “that’s a healthy 348” he says “that’s a 409”...we get to talking..he pops the trunck...out comes a couple “Wally’s” I’m instantly blown away..he than produces a scrap book...he bought the car brand new in 58...and street raced it for a bit..and than Detroit Dragway opened and he became a regular..he had pics of him and his car with trophy’s lined up around it in front of his home in Detroit...clippings of the results they used to run in the paper with his name in the class winners, and the “Wally’s” yes he won at National events ..I spent a solid hour talking with him..he also had a couple 409 motors..so it turns out he’s good friends with my friends dad since the old Detroit days...we’ll my Friend's Dad has passed and my friend took over the shop and Ron would come in and get stuff welded occasionally.. He would always ask about the 58...well Ron hadn’t been around for awhile, found out he passed away..his son now has the 58..it’s back on the street in it’s more of a stocker looking car...until the key is turned..and that healthy 409 comes to life..my friend has let his son know...if the day ever comes..I’m in....the history that’s attached to this car is amazing..I unfortunately don’t have any pics of it in it’s race trim, or the scrapbook, or the Wally’s...pre cell phone camera days...but here’s the car yesterday at my buddy’s shop..his son drive it over to shoot the breeze for a bit..I thought I’d post it up to see if anyone remembered Ron Ivy and his 409 58..

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Don't know the car but she's a beauty! Great story to go along with it.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Always loved the 58 chevy and a beauty for sure,thanks.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Found this on the web...
    13F0F7BB-223B-47B7-9359-20F0C80091ED.jpeg

X-2, impala4speed, loudbang and 5 others like this.

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I remember the guy but not the car. Would see him alot at the local cruise nights and shows. Nice guy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Hey Denise....hope your doing well and staying safe..

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I am, hope you and your family are as well.

Went out to Woodward last weekend. The place was absolutely packed. We got a carryout from Vinsetta Garage and ate at a park. Made a few passes then got ice cream at Rays. Cruised some more. Was a fun night. Felt good behind the wheel of the Cookie Pusher. Hope to see you around town this summer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Yeah...heard it’s been really happening out there..trying to finish up my Falcon and hope to get out soon..