Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Body to frame and other welt/gasket recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildwest, Jun 12, 2020.

1. wildwest

wildwest

Hi folks ! I am getting ready to mount the body to the chassis on a 32 Brookville roadster i'm putting together.

Any recommendations on what product to use between the body & chassis ? also, does anything go between the cowl and firewall ? and for a Walker Radiator to a run-of-the-mill '32 chassis ? gas tank to frame rails ?

anothercarguy likes this.
  2. Bump...I'm interested to know others solutions as well.

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

I used to use the double rib rubber stuff that VWs use between the body and the pan mostly because it was cheap and easy to get (pre-internet). I ordered and used the web stuff from the old Ford parts place last time. No problems with either one but it's easier to make holes for body bolts in the VW stuff if you don't own leather/gasket punches.

4. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I used the stock frame welting on mine and made "U" shaped body shims from 1/16" aluminum. I'll tell you what not to use. I was watching one of the "well known" builders on TV and believe it or not, they used 2'' x 1/4" cork strip. I couldn't believe it. Cork will break down over time and will soak up moisture such as rain.

stillrunners likes this.

5. Sporty45

Sporty45

stillrunners and alanp561 like this.
  6. swifty

swifty

Vintique have the correctly shaped rubber sealing strip for the cowl/firewall seal and also the body/chassis welting. Not a fan of some Vintique items but these 2 seem OK. Can get you the part numbers after lunch if you want.
    Suggest you get yourself a set of Chinese gasket punches to punch holes in both of these.

7. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are 32s like Model A’s as far as your question? On As the body mounts on wood blocks and rubber ‘shims’ between the body and frame at each mounting bolt. The body doesn’t really touch the frame. Welting goes between the running boards and frame, etc. Some people use that welting between the frame and ‘32 gas tank as well - I have a ‘32 tank kit for my A and I’ll be using that welting there pretty soon. There is a rubber welt with a single bead along one edge that goes under the cowl, but many people skip it.

All those pieces can be had at various places online.

gnichols likes this.
  8. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I used stock body to frame welting on my car, and I made my blocks/shims out of black nylon blocks.

gnichols likes this.
  9. SDS

SDS

A few guys on here recently told me there's not supposed to be anything between the body and the frame on a 1932 roadster... I thought that seemed odd, is that not the case?

10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

It can go either way, I used oil dipped cloth type strapping as it tends to shed water instead of sucking it in and causing rust. Rubber is ok but moisture creeps under sooner or later. Without anything, its gonna squeak.

11. SDS

SDS

Thanks - and what about the rear most corner body mounts -some people say they're supposed to be wood blocks in there, some people say they're supposed to be a plastic wedge shim and some people even say they're supposed to be springs back there to allow the body to flex up and down... Any advice there? Right now I have about a 3/8 of an inch gap

Attached Files:

12. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

No on the springs, maybe a hockey puck shaved down.