Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wish bone spread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Road Angels, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Road Angels

Road Angels

Aussie laws allow 10" spread of wish bones when they are split...I am guessing for axle twist...is this the most you can go or is it just a safety margin and you can go more...I am using heim type ends...I am at 9" now but may have to go wider cause I am changing my axle, it will also put the front wish bone axle mount point out another 3.5 " wider over all...would it be better to move my back mount forward an keep the 9" at the back mount. will the wider wish bone mounting point at the front make it more inclined to add too axle twist and I should reduce the spread at the back several inch's ???

2. Which state? It makes a difference.
    Not a good idea. You will get into more grief about this than how far the bones are split.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. You have to work with the laws you have locally.but in the states we split them,and move them to the outer frame rails ,and have for decades with out a problem of failure.This is with a real Ford axle that can handle flex.After market tube axles wont stand up to twisting so they arent used with split bones.I would use Ford rod ends I have never seen one break.I have seen broken Heim ends.In a long ago Street rod magazine one of the guys did a article about driving his rod across America to go to the Street Rod Nationals show. He broke 3,or 4 heims on the trip !

4. I remember that.:eek:

irishsteve likes this.