Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Southeast Gasser 50 chevy wheel stander project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quain Stott, Feb 12, 2020.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

Any new updates on the truck Quain?
    Glenn

Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Sorry I haven't been updating but I had to stop on the truck to catch up on other projects I had got behind on.
    I worked tonight on boxing the chassis in the center of the truck. I used .090 mild steel plate (Donated By good friend Wayne Swafford) To make the box. Since I plan to wire weld it I didn't worry much about fitting it perfect. Here's two pics of the plates tacked in place. I plan to go a little farther forward with the boxing later. wheelie truck 5.jpg Wheelie truck.jpg

3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Sorry I haven't posted up dates lately but we have been flooded with customer emergency projects but back on the wheels stander every chance we get.
    Latest update is the filler panels where the rocker panels will meet the inside floor.
    Just 2 quick bends to offset the distance so the floor will set flat on the factory frame. IMG_1104.jpg IMG_1105.jpg IMG_1106.jpg

4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Now to fit around the roll bars and test fit in the truck. These will weld to the frame and bolt to the body. Remember the body is going to be mounted so it can be remover so having to plan for that as we go. IMG_1107.jpg IMG_1108.jpg IMG_1110.jpg IMG_1112.jpg

5. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quain,

I know you are busier than a one legged man at a butt kicking contest with the the Southeast Gassers season underway, but it is good to see you posting here again!

Steve

6. raven

raven

Awesome work.
    Keep at it, little by little.
    Can’t wait to see it run.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

We are behind you 100% Quain !

8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I should have already had this thing done but all the drama that has been going on in our country this year has me about ready to give up on everything. It's almost hard to get motivated to work much over time.

raven, 0NE BAD 51 MERC, enloe and 6 others like this.
  9. I know I'm late to the party, and forgive me if it has been mentioned, but wouldn't it do better wheelies with that motor turned around, facing the tailgate with the V- drive at the back of the cab? Just a thought.

Love everything you're about Quain! I'll build me something to compete with the SEGA someday, it's a dream I've had for a while.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  10. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hang in there brother, this too shall pass. You guys are doing good work that is bringing joy to a lot of people and joy is something that is in short supply right now. Be the salt and the light in a dark world!

Steve

11. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Simple rear body mounts to replace the old rusted out original mounts. Made from 1" square welded to the body then bolted to the frame. Threaded bushing in the frame to tighten to. IMG_1230.jpg IMG_1231.jpg

Chucky, AHotRod, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  12. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

With the bottom of the body completely rusted away we had to make panels to go from the body to the chassis and design it to attach the aluminum floor to. IMG_1232.jpg IMG_1234 (1).jpg

kidcampbell71, AHotRod, enloe and 8 others like this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Very cool. Keep plugging away.

14. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Dan I did a lot of research and most old time wheel stander guys are telling me if I get too much weight on the rear it will be way harder to control at speed. They tell me it will get to dancing and over the rail it will go. I have seen some that are set up that way but most have the engine just in front of the rear end to keep it balanced.
    Look forward to having you when you get something built.

Thor1, enloe, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  15. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The front floors and firewall was like the back and about rusted away so we cut up high enough to find good metal and made new firewall panels from there down to the floor. The hole left in the center will be a window to see while the wheels are in the air. IMG_1235.jpg

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Spent a few hours on the truck for the first time in several weeks.
    Used the stock pedal and master cylinder mount but had to cut and weld it to the chassis since boxing the chassis closed of the original mounting holes. ws25.jpg

17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Next on the list is the throttle pedal. Since the engine is in the back and I didn't want a bunch of cables running along the floor pans, I come up with a way to make everything under the floor. I took a replica of an old style foot petal and welded an arm on it to work a cable under the floor. I made it 1 to 1 ratio like all throttle petals should be. For good throttle control about 2.75 inches from idle to wide open is perfect. 2.75" is the travel most all carburetors have so 1 to 1 ratio on the petal will make it perfect. ws24.jpg

enloe, loudbang, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Needing something to mount the petal to and also needing a brace where the fire wall meets the floor pan. I used thin wall 1" square tubing for the floor brace and welded in two bushings to keep the tubing from collapsing where the petal will mount to it. ws23.jpg ws22.jpg View attachment 4744869 View attachment 4744870

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The brace installed ws20.jpg

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The pedal in place with the angle sheet metal where the floor and fire wall will meet mounted under the pedal. This pic will start to give an idea how this mess will work when finished. ws19.jpg

21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Next is a mount for the Morse throttle cable. The little mounts cost about $5 but I didn't have one so I had to spend 30 minutes making one because I didn't want to order one and have to wait. ws18.jpg ws17.jpg ws16.jpg

Chucky, enloe, kidcampbell71 and 4 others like this.
  22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I made a small bracket to bolt to the home made cable mount so it would be adjustable. ws13.jpg ws15.jpg

23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Next I bent a piece of 1/2 thin wall tubing to make a place for the cable to mount. Now it easy to see the plan. The cable will be in front of the carburetor so it will push the cable to open the throttle blades. ws12.jpg

winr, enloe, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Next on the list is the shifter mount. It really sucks to have to use an automatic in this project but I would have to have 3 arms to use the turn brake and shift a 4 speed while it's in the air.
    Same deal as the throttle mount, a thin piece of 1" tubing with bushings welded in for a mount. I did find an old school B&M shifter but it will need to be rebuilt. It's in bad shape from being out in the weather but no way was I going to ruin this project with a modern shifter so I will put forth the effort rebuild this one. ws11.jpg ws10.jpg ws9.jpg

25. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Now time for the aluminum floor panels. A hole had to be cut in the center piece for the throttle arm to go down through. Also I had to hammer form a little low spot right under the pedal because it was rubbing there and could hang the throttle. ws8.jpg ws7.jpg

26. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The aluminum floor pans are pretty much roughed in so y'all can get an idea of how it's going to look on the inside in these last few pics for the night.
    Not sure when I will get time to work on it again but hope it's not long, I want to debut it before the 2020 race season is over. ws6.jpg ws1.jpg ws2.jpg ws3.jpg ws4.jpg ws5.jpg

27. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thank you so much for taking us along on this build, I'm truly enjoying it and learning allot as you go.

28. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

You're very welcome, glad you are hanging on with me going so slow on this project. It's a spare time deal and not our best work but it will be fun when finished.

AHotRod, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  29. raven

raven

Keep on ‘Trucking’ Quain, this is awesome!
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Thor1, loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

Worth the wait. :)

enloe, jim snow, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.