Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need help with my 1948 pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nolan7954, Jun 4, 2020.

1. nolan7954

nolan7954

I have a 1948 pontiac with no motor but the previous owner already has it set up for a small block so I got a sbc 350 with a saginaw 4 speed. This is my first project and I don't know anybody who does this kind of stuff so I am kind of desperate.

It has been going pretty well so far but I ran into trouble when I try to put the bellhousing on. I have the 168 tooth flywheel with a 10.375 inch clutch. The bellhousing is the GM 3899621 and from the very few posts I could find about it, these should all work together. The bellhousing fits but when I install the clutch fork, it does not want to go on. What am I doing wrong? Sorry if I sound stupid but I can't find anything about it online. Some people get very aggressive when I ask questions online. I do not mean to offend, I am trying to find out what I am doing wrong. Thank you

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    firstinsteele likes this.
  2. First off, sounds like a cool project. Second, where do you live? I suspect there are some local guys that could help as well as here.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Which type of clutch do you have? A diaphragm or Borg &Beck? The fork should be on the ball before you install it on the engine with the flywheel and clutch. The B&B gets a short TB and the Diaphragm gets a longer one...show some photos...

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

The standard response to this question - How about some pictures of what you are dealing with?

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. Sporty45

Sporty45

Another hit and run poster? :confused: