Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Caught in the rain with my roadster!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Driver50x, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Driver50x

Driver50x

FA4AB3A1-B861-40B6-BB34-12FBE900478A.jpeg I spent half an hour killing time at a gas station last night, waiting for the rain to go away. I’m sure plenty of you guys have been there. Post up your pics!

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hey, Steve. Ya gotta get a couple of those El Cheapo rain suits the motorcycle guys have to keep under your seat. And perhaps add some drain holes in the floor! Gary

3. You should be used to that living in Florida.:D;)

4. Been there . Have also been in hail, white out snow blizzard & lightening oh also Bright sun. None of them are fun. Sorry no pictures as I was driving & didn't have time for a photo op.

loudbang, partsdawg, trollst and 3 others like this.

5. Driver50x

Driver50x

Hey Gary, how are ya? Last night it was absolutely pouring for a while. Getting wet was the least of my worries. There was no way I could see well enough to drive, lol! It’s all part of the adventure.
    Steve

gnichols, loudbang, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My channeled, fenderless '30 'A' Coupe got me caught in a winter downpour...No sweat, rolled up the windows and turned on the wiper. Drove a couple of miles, there was traffic...No turn sigs, so I roll down the drivers door window and arm signal to turn left...45 MPH, plenty of room, turned the wheel and a whole sheet of water came off my cool 5.90 X 15 right into my lap, drenching me! I said, "OOoooaaah!!!" It was like diving into the Pacific!
    I thought of my Mom..."Just because Philip jumps in the lake, would you too?"
    Philip had a roadster.

brEad, warbird1, loudbang and 9 others like this.
  7. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Don’t have any pics....but yeah been there done that! At least you had place to stop......

loudbang and Driver50x like this.
  8. On the way to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee with 5 of my fellow club members we ran into a big late fall thunder storm and we were in my '32 roadster, there was not top on the car, we drove over 2 1/2 hours in the pouring rain, the rest of the members in our party stopped.

After we were soaked to the gills, there was absolutely no reason to stop so we continued to follow a truck that had a trailer and bright lights, we arrived in Pigeon Forge about a hour before the rest of the club.

As long as you drive a roadster weather will play a big part in your activity's, you will get wet, you will get sunburst, blistered, wind burnt, you will cook and you will freeze your tail off but those perfect days make it all worth while. HRP

9. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Got caught in the rain with a very leaky car; had to pull off the highway, and wound up running into Billy Gibbons. Ok, not really, but he looked close enough.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  10. olds vroom

olds vroom

Been there done that at the gas station. Fortunately mine only lasted 10 minutes. I drove the car 3 years with no roof at all I was pretty good at watching the radar map . It took 1 time getting caught in the rain 3 miles from home with the wife in the car before I decided to fab a roof for it . I still leave it down all the time but it’s there if I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Driver50x like this.
  11. High test 63

High test 63

Been caught in the rain often. What's worse to me is when some smart-ass is looking over my roadster and has to ask "what do you do when it rains? Har har har!"... I alway answer: " i go home and get my bike out! "

12. Plenty of times, part of the roadster game, here's a video of what I got caught in not to long ago, of course it started petering out AFTER I made it home and was hiding in the garage...lol

13. greener200

greener200

Whatda you mean ,were always going fast enough,,,,little crouch,,,,It Goes RIGHT OVER !:D

loudbang, hotrodjack33 and Driver50x like this.
  14. trollst

trollst

Been there, done that, kept going, can't get any wetter. After we dried off, my woman said "well, wasn't that kinda fun?" Ummmm, no......

loudbang, 61Cruiser and Driver50x like this.
  15. upspirate

upspirate

I didn't, but my ex-wife(wife at the time) did.
    She's stopped at a traffic light, pouring rain, no wipers, no turn signals, no horn, and a cop pulls up next to her.
    He looked at her,she smiled,was drenched, he just shook his head and drove off Scan0005.jpg

16. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

On my wedding day!

Sorry for including the ot cars but the story is with it.

We had a pretty elaborate plan for vehicles. The wedding was in my wife’s home town about an hour from where I lived. Mom had taken my mustang down the day before and stayed over. I was planning to drive my Roadster to the wedding and dad to drive him and mom in his T-bird. After the wedding my wife and I would switch from the Roadster to the mustang and go on our honeymoon. Dad would drive my Roadster home for me and Mom would drive the T-bird home.

My dad and I drank beer, grilled steaks and slept at my house the night before my wedding. In the morning we went out for breakfast then Dad dropped me at my house to pickup my Roadster.

I was headed to my parents house in the Roadster so my dad and I could convoy to my wife’s home town together.

It looked like a beautiful day for a drive in an open car.

There’s a canal between my house and my parents and I got stuck at the bridge. As I sat there this big black cloud formed above me. Just as the bridge went down it opened up. I was 10 minutes from my house, where I didn’t have another car, and 10 minutes from my parents so I kept going.
    It unleashed the heaviest downpour I can remember. There was water in the foot wells up to the door sills. As I came up my parents street I was pushing a bow wave and had to look over the windshield because it was wet on both sides. Dad opened the garage and I rolled the soggy car in. Luckily I still had some clothes at my parents that I could change in to and my suit was with my mom and my other car.

We didn’t speak about the wet car the whole way to the wedding site, dad and I in his Thunderbird, top up.

The rest of the day was bright and sunny.

We met up with my mom and I changed in to my suit, then took the Mustang to pickup my best-man at his hotel. The car had gotten rained on too and had ruined my perfect detail job, so at the hotel we filled two ice buckets with water and used that and all the hotel towels to clean up my car in the parking lot.

A week later I collected my Roadster from my parents house where it had dried out with no damage.

The silver lining is that my wife’s wedding dress would never have fit in the Roadster anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

That's what made me make side curtains for the Bop-Top on my Deuce roadster. Driving in the rain and making a left hand turn was really fun.

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

Have you thought about a roll bar and a bikini top like the Jeep boys use.

Driver50x likes this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

pics not mine - hard to hold wheel and click - try black ice some time for real fun 20200612_183914.jpg 20200612_184128.jpg 20200612_183640.jpg

MO_JUNK, billyt, Jim Bouchard and 6 others like this.
  20. CadMad

CadMad

Here’s my mate Paul who is having a birthday today! Happy Birthday Paul! 5621CD8A-DD8A-41B3-9375-70045EF281B8.jpeg

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 48 wasn't much better without roll up windows but the first time we took our T bucket to a rod run in Texas we had one of those famous Central Texas gully washers and we drove 20 miles from home to the park by the Texas Ranger (Lawmen) museum in Waco. Even the cash in my wallet was wet. Bad part was if we had waited about 40 minutes we wold have had a dry trip.

Driver50x and loudbang like this.
  22. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

23. primed34

primed34

Was test driving a '29 roadster on '32 rails with no top at the Nats in '81. Got caught in a small rain storm. Guess you could call me a wuss. I bought a coupe.:D

24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not quite a roadster story, but...never could get the cowl vent to ever stop leaking in my old Sedan Delivery. Of course the gas pedal was directly under it...and so was my foot. Spent many miles driving it with a plastic bag on my foot

Hnstray, 49ratfink, Driver50x and 2 others like this.
  25. Now thats funnee. That's just a drizzle here in Oklahoma.

Driver50x likes this.
  26. Driver50x

Driver50x

I may just do something like that for the summers in Florida. The rest of the year, I love my open top though.

dana barlow likes this.
  27. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

I don’t have any pictures but I remember many years ago driving in heavy rain with a dozen or so other hot rods from central MA to a weekend Rolling Bones event in upstate New York. I had a top on my roadster and front fenders, but no side curtains And I got pretty wet. But another Hamber drove, I think from Pawtucket, RI, in a model T roadster with no top, but he was wearing foul weather clothing and a huge smile that lasted through the whole rainy weekend. It was really fun to have him and his enthusiasm be part of that unforgettable weekend.

Driver50x likes this.
  28. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. 2935ford

2935ford

I have been caught in a downpour in my '29 roadster but I have always had the top on the car. With the wind wing windows and the top up not much water hit me but, my days of getting soaked are over. No longer have an open car. just my Tudor and my coupe!

nunattax and Driver50x like this.