Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects All steel 32 Vicky, it’s not chopped and full fendered, blown Ardun 8BA, what wheels?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rsinor, Jun 11, 2020.

1. rsinor

rsinor
    from Owasso, OK

Want this thing to look vintage, but it’s orange/red with maroon top. Full hood tear drop opening exposes heads big headlights dropped cross bar. Leaning toward smoothies currently have five Vintique chrome spoke, which will go away. Pictures? Suggestions? Suppliers?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Texas Webb like this.
  2. belair

belair

Great looking car. (HINT-pictures)

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Photos forthcoming we hope.
    Patiently waiting!

4. Halibrands....... it’ll distract from the paint.
    Leave the hood off also..... between the Arden heads and Halibrands...... no one will even remember what color the car was.

We need photos!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Orange with a maroon top? going to be tough to make that look period correct, except maybe for 1990's era correct... what era are you shooting for??

6. rsinor

rsinor
    from Owasso, OK

I’ll post a picture next time at the shop where my computer is. The pictures are pre Ardun, will also post a few engine pictures. I want this car to stay full bodied and not changing paint because I like it. So the hood is not coming off not even the side panels, just tear dropping the repro side panels and painting them to match. Yea it’s probably 90’s color but it’s still a vintage motor, body and most of the frame. I think a decent set of wheels will help it.

craig b blue and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Yeah, that would help.;)

Lil32 likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB, I'll hold off on a comment until I see photos. Bob

9. Patiently waiting the photos. HRP

[​IMG]

10. All steel ? Ardun powered ? Period correct ? Merc wheels and or caps should be considered......or maybe the Orange Crate type wheels - although a different body - you could do a search...........

craig b blue and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

I like what ya done with it, flows well, proper stance, the paint is outstanding.

12. Fogger

Fogger

No pictures it doesn't exist.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. rsinor

rsinor
    from Owasso, OK

Guys I'm not a picture taker, simply never felt the need to photograph my own car, but here are some pictures for you no pictures of Ardun installed as that conversion is ongoing now. It will be the third engine transmission combination since the original build and as a result is basically a complete refurbish. No longer want the raked lowered front, am going with same size wheels diameter wise on all four corners and as mentioned adding larger headlights and a teardrop in the hood so you can get a hint of the new motor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I like it with the wires to be honest. The paint , sort of like the older classics which I like also , kind of an elegant look.

15. Something gray to match the engine. Torque thrusts maybe or similar.
    To me, it looks more maroon and red than orange.

chryslerfan55 and daniel wilson like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Your 32 Vicky has the "newish" 70's style or look with the two tone paint. The wheels are pretty good for all styles, vintage or newer. So, those should be keepers. If you do not like the big/ little look, the same size tire will give it a good look if they are under the fenders somewhat and not showing stock air space.
    Here are some good samples of the whole car paint in the two color choices.
    upload_2020-6-12_9-8-18.png Imagine your wheels in the place of the 5 spokes and disregard the chopped top. The maroon paint overall is a little more vintage than the red.
    upload_2020-6-12_9-9-17.png Here is one that is all maroon and closer to the look with the whole car single paint job. assume the same size tires all around. Disregard the black fenders... But the wheels are close to your present look.

Those two have the maroon paint and give the overall single paint a look that is vintage.

As far as a single color red is concerned, that overall look is pure 70's, even with custom wheels of any kind.
    upload_2020-6-12_9-25-6.png Red is a nice color, but as far as vintage, not in the same category as the all maroon paint color.

There is a middle ground as long as you are repainting the two tone to a single color. A darker red, closer to a maroon, but not quite.
    upload_2020-6-12_9-27-22.png Overall, it still looks 70-ish and not vintage Ford.

Jnaki
    So, if I were to select a choice color, the two tone has to go, first. The dark maroon is pure vintage look and your wheels may still give it the hot rod look. If you like the painted look on the wires like the above maroon sedan. Then that is your choice.
    upload_2020-6-12_9-34-44.png
    The whole look (stance) of your 32 is pretty cool. The stance is just perfect, but if you get similar size tires all around, it will raise the stance somewhat and give it some symmetry. The lowered cal rake look is popular, but you seem to want to re-do the whole thing for a better ride, just don't raise the look with air space around the tires. YRMV Good luck...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. rsinor

rsinor
    from Owasso, OK

Thank You, this as all projects takes on a life of its own. I’m raising it because the Ardun has a big cast aluminum oil pan and I need to get it slightly above the front axle. That will in and of itself necessitate at a minimum 15” wheels all around, currently have 14” on the front. Also restricted by my choice to keep the hood on it.

Really do not intend to paint it interior is medium grey, if I painted it I would probably go either solid orange/red or black.

Appreciate all the suggestions.

18. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Sorry,but I think the Ardun is from a different era that your cars paint,wheels and IFS

Just Gary, X38 and mkubacak like this.
  19. mkubacak

mkubacak

I say paint it a vintage color. That looks hideous.
    This.

IMHO it needs a solid color from the 30's or the 40's. Go through some old Ford colors and pick a classic to go with the Ardun and some Kelsey-Hayes or 40's steel wheels.

chryslerfan55 and X38 like this.
  20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I have a set of [4] "vintage" brand lime green adjustable spoke wires... 4.80" out front... 8" rears...
    $100 each... pix if interested...

21. It has kind of an Early Times CC look to it with the wires. Maybe search for pics of those club cars for inspiration?

Tman likes this.
  22. rsinor

rsinor
    from Owasso, OK

Guess that means you wouldn’t think my Tremec 5 speed LS all steel black forty deluxe coupe was a vintage hot rod either

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  23. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Not A VINTAGE hot rod as you Stated but a Hot Rod

chryslerfan55 and belair like this.
  24. GeeRam

GeeRam

^This....by the bucket full.
    Changing the wheels are the least of the issues with trying to make that look vintage/traditional.

25. clem

clem

I like your modesty !
    Try not to be put off by some of the comments above, - some are in jest, but when you mention ‘32 Vicky’s, you get everyone’s attention !
    Beautiful car as is, but as others have said, for what you are trying to achieve, the red is not quite there, nor the two tone.
    Jnaki is right on the main points for you.

Welcome to the HAMB.

chryslerfan55, MR CLEAN and jnaki like this.
  26. clem

clem

Post pictures, and I’m sure everyone will decide for you, if it’s deemed to be vintage.

( really just want to see pictures :D - ‘40 coupes are just about as popular as deuces..........).

27. I can't tell what front suspension you have.

If it's a solid axle, it will sit in front of the oil pan, but a stock type wishbone could be a problem. Split wishbone should clear the oil pan.

Don't take too much apart trying to rebuild to a style. Do one thing at a time so you can continue to drive it. First job is getting the engine installed and tuned.

The cosmetic stuff can come later.

Phil

Stu D Baker likes this.
  28. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Well to suit you, and I, I'll speak not of the color. Who really knows what was hot on the streets during the times when the streets were hot. Many survived many were trashed. I recall the folks talking about this guy, and that guy, using yellow, orange, purple, and such. Photos are no tell.
    Anyways, You like wires, and vintage, Think about older Jag and early Ferrari styles. I prefer that look, of a smaller hub. The Larger Rim Should Result in Better Stance.
    Or as 'stillrunners' mentioned Merc covers would do it. Hopefully with less cash.
    One thing I'm compelled to speak of is a lifelong admiration for the distinction of the '32 headlight prominence.
    You have one lovely Vicky enjoy her make over

29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I think I'll just keep my mouth shut!

30. rsinor

rsinor
    from Owasso, OK

[​IMG]