Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Copper low pressure lines?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by drew1987, Jun 12, 2020.

1. drew1987

drew1987

Hey all,

I'm a big fan of the copper-nickle stuff for brakes. Bends easy, never rusts... but I was wondering, for transmission, fuel, vacuum, and anything else with very little pressure, how would regular copper tubing work? i've got a couple big rolls of it (for house purposes), and was thinking it would be great for under the hood.

Any reason its a bad idea?

2. Country Joe

Country Joe

I don't think there would be a problem. Even high pressure. Copper water lines in the house can handle well over 100psi.

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Not good if subject to movement/vibration. Copper work hardens quickly. Ok if used in a fixed position
    but be sure it will not be flexing.

rockable, trollst, Budget36 and 3 others like this.
  4. Country Joe

Country Joe

Good point. Would annealed copper work for handling vibration?

5. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To loose an engine or transmission because a line cracked isn't worth the cost of 25' of good line. The copper will crack!

Warren

6. jockeyshift41

jockeyshift41
    from Florida

IMG_0005.JPG I made a copper oil line to feed my top end on my knuckle. Broke once in thirty years, about twenty years ago. I check it constantly since. Low pressure in Harleys though. Once in a blue moon I polish it up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Before the nylon line , most all mechanical oil pressure gauges used copper line , in both the engine compartment & the passenger compartment ...there wasn't as many lawyers then ....

8. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver

But, it’s out in front of god and everybody.

9. squirrel

squirrel

Some used steel, such as Chevy trucks that had mechanical oil pressure gauges in the 60s-70s.

I've had copper oil pressure gauge lines crack. I also had an OEM steel gauge line crack, on my 66 Suburban.

I would use steel or nicop for the fuel line and transmission cooler lines and brakes of course, but you can use copper for stuff like the radiator overflow, vacuum lines, etc.

flatford39 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  10. drew1987

drew1987

Thanks all!

Yes the oil pressure guage that came with my car (scared to use it cause 30psi is pegged and my SBC runs 35-40) had copper... good point!

I tend to use rubber between moving parts... like for example, there is metal on my fuel pump and metal from my tank, but 10" of rubber mate them... same with the firewall mounted pressure regulator and the carb... all have rubber somewhere to take the vibration away. In light of that, should be fine, right? I would be most interest in using it for vacuum lines and tranny lines... stuff like that.

That said, copper nickle... thats as durable is regular steel, right?

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I know of someone who had her Mercedes engine rebuilt, the garage suggested replacing the line for the oil pressure gauge, she thought they were trying to run up the already considerable bill, they refused to
    warrantee the motor when the line blew and she lost oil pressure.

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I still do. Put a couple of loops in at the engine for the vibration. I’ve melted more than one nylon line, no more.

13. drew1987

drew1987

reminds me of sticking gas pedals... Toyota was crucified for it. Many, many throttle plates before that met me and a toothbrush/can of carb cleaner. Cant blame a car for being old, unless youve got a lawyer lol

the nylon thing scares me, for sure. I've considered ditching my guage for a light. Worked fine for the hundreds and hundreds of thousand of miles i've put on modern crap.

So for things like tranny and vacuum and such, is copper bad? cause i dont mind copper nickle if its superior, i am just sick of working with the steel stuff

14. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

I would not use CU for AT lines, epecially annealed CU.
    Have done some pressure checking on various transmissions, and under load it can be up to 200Psi and pressure spikes above 300Psi. ATF is quite flammable, don't risk it.

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Some copper line is not designed to handle some of the chemicals involved in automotive fluids.

16. BJR

BJR

I have used copper for gas lines, vacuum lines, transmission lines and oil pressure gauges. Like has been said, fasten it down so it doesn't move. For oil pressure gauges put a few coils or loops of copper line between the firewall and the engine for vibration. Been doing this for 55 years and never had an issue. :D Never use copper for brake lines. :eek:

bchctybob likes this.
  17. I've had hot oil sprayed on my foot a few times with copper tubing... no more. Electric for me now.... LOL

mrhp likes this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yeah, any of it can fail. At least the electric usually doesn't do more than smoke you out when it shorts out. LOL!

19. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Sulfur is bad for copper , as in diesel fuel . It’s good for about 150 psi internal pressure

20. drew1987

drew1987

Thanks all. Now how about cooper nickel? None of the concerns of copper-only apply right? Durable as steel?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Nicop looks like copper but won't work harden and is easy to work with, seems to hold up good for me so far.

22. drew1987

drew1987

shawnsauto1 likes this.