Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shaved Door Handles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John Metalsky, Jun 11, 2020.

1. John Metalsky

John Metalsky

I recall seeing a document on using a "small diameter steel rod" as the key passing thru a small tube welded into the original location of the door handle? This in place of going electrical? Anyone seen this or have a pictures, etc. Thanks. John

2. oldsman41

oldsman41

Hope you get some advice and pics on this

3. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

My friend John McNally did this back in the 60s on a wild Ford pick up. IIRC the small diameter rod triggered a microswitch which in turn activated a relay that powered a solenoid. Would be hard to get enough "push" with a small rod to activate the latch mechanism.

Pist-n-Broke and guthriesmith like this.
  4. Hmm...interesting. I see how that could work, but would think you would still end up with a visible hole and something that would get scratched every time you put the steel rod in to open the door.

5. If your thinking manual release of door latch with a push pin I would think Not. Once the latch is released the door has to come towards you while the latch unit is held in the open position. How you gonna get the door to come to you and out of the striker.

6. Back in the Old day's I had all my Door's molde'd in with a Button
    on the Rocker panel.
    To operate the Front Doors, They worked Good until I was living
    in the State of Florida, Back in the Day, they told me to put the
    Front Handles on to get my Plates.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

7. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I modified an El Camino for a customer by removing the handles and leaving the lock cylinder in the door with the linkage moved to the latch , so the key activated the latch , no solenoids needed .

8. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Again, IIRC, John incorporated the "hole" into a piece of trim so that it was not easily noticed, and bent a loop in the other end of the rod which was on his key chain. No scratches and most people don't walk around with a small diameter rod in their pockets (at least they would not admit to it) to activate the relay even if they saw the hole and figured it out.

9. oldsman41

oldsman41

Could work with a door popper like power locks

10. John Metalsky

John Metalsky

Thanks to everyone for your input. Still in the hunt!

11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

A buddy used a magnetic switch. You just walked up to the car, touched the stainless molding in the right spot with a special magnetic key and it would activate the solenoid.

Cool thing was if you didn't pay super close attention you wouldn't know how he was doing it as the magnetic key was small and unnoticeable in his hand.

12. Colin HD

Colin HD

There was an article and I stole a few pics, but don't remember the title.
    Credit to the Hamber that did the work & posted the pics.

I have a couple more pics if interested.
    IMG_2228.JPG IMG_2241.JPG IMG_2249.JPG

Do it Over likes this.