Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage nursing home/senior housing rolling car show.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, May 8, 2020.

1. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

What a righteous thing to do for those folks. Being generous with your time
    is just as important as being generous with donations. Time is such a rare
    commodity and giving of your's (and your friend's) deserves a salute from
    everyone.

2. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Great job. Showing attention,to the most often (especially now ) forgotten , often people forget to show respect to the ones that deserve it the most . again good job,great act of kindness and respect !!!

loudbang, tb33anda3rd and TFoch like this.
  3. Ryans65

Ryans65
    from Yulee FL

Those with alzheimer's may be taken back to happier times if only for a moment.

kiwijeff, loudbang, Crocodile and 2 others like this.
  4. we met up at a park and ride near our local airstrip and headed south through Ridgefield. we were able to cruise through two nursing homes/senior housing complexes tonight. IMG_2376.jpg IMG_2380.jpg IMG_2383.jpg

Jalopy Joker, Texas57, TFoch and 7 others like this.
  5. Crocodile

Crocodile

My club has been doing this for a few years, and the reaction of the people there is worth it's weight in gold. This year was a little different, we had to make it kind of a car show instead of a cruise, and parked in rows 12 feet apart. One gentleman, who was a resident more for recovery from an accident than long term, chatted with me for quite a while. He was almost in tears about how it was the best day in months, because it was a nice evening, and they were able to do something that had meaning to them.
    If you can get your club or a gropup of friends to do a similar event, by all means, DO IT! It really does mean a lot to these folks.

TFoch, kiwijeff, quick85 and 3 others like this.
  6. A few more photos from last night! IMG_6649.JPG IMG_6647.JPG IMG_6644.JPG IMG_6653.JPG IMG_6652.JPG IMG_6650.JPG

Jalopy Joker, TFoch, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

ct_qq_1453.jpg OIPCSJBHQUU.jpg

I'm sure all the people enjoyed seeing the cars, and would remember the old parking patterns in town. Thank you! Bob

8. at it again tonight.... IMG_0241 2.JPG IMG_0248.JPG IMG_0249.JPG

9. we ended the cruise by driving through our town park. lots of people out and they appreciated the "parade". Our town state representative, BillBuckbee was at the park and thanked us and asked for a photo in front of the cars with his "toy". IMG_0250 2.JPG

10. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Very impressed, what a fabulous idea!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems like you guys are starting to make a habit of this. That's awesome.

I can't give you enough attaboys.
    These good folks who came before and helped to make the world what it is for us are stuck in place even worse than we are. Talk about going stir-crazy.

I had some nursing training and part of that was helping out in a couple nursing homes. What an experience. Quite the eye opener, it was. Made me sad to realize that many of these people have no one coming to see them. Nobody. One poor elderly woman cried... all... the... time.

So this is exceedingly more important than a lot of people realize. It's not just "kind of fun" for them... it's crucial. It's not just about some neat old cars... it's the fact that someone would actually spend the time and effort on little old them. And I know for a fact that it brings tears of gratitude.

Bless all of you and your friends who are kind enough to spend part of your life making someone else's better.

12. My wife and I like to take our DJ equipment to local nursing homes several times each year and play tunes from the 1940's - 60's for the residents. The reaction from the residents is always unbelievable! You can see in their eyes the joy as memories from their past come flooding back. The staff tells us that they start looking forward to our appearance with the excitement of a kid on Christmas morning. We always leave at the end of the evening feeling like we received far more than we gave. We plan to resume our visits when this current pandemic is over.

Jim

13. A few more photos from last night!
    IMG_6679.JPG IMG_6680.JPG IMG_6681.JPG IMG_6682.JPG IMG_6683.JPG IMG_6685.JPG IMG_6690.JPG

14. Last night got me thinking.:oops: Just about every vehicle there last night has some of Ted's (tb33anda3rd)
    handy work.:cool:

15. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

WHAT A GREAT THING TO DO

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks to all within your group for doing this - know of others that do a cruise by an assisted living home, then down main street and stop to eat in a proper distancing restaurant.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. we were joking about that when I lead the pack of cars down that hill, I did the brakes on half of the vehicles behind me.

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's really funny LOL

19. You did not do my brakes, but were cousins.:p