Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods REPOST: Update on the "Forget, Hell" '32 Coupe - stored in Virgina garage since mid 1960s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Jun 10, 2020.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

*Permission from Ryan to start another thread*. Hi guys, we don't know what happened, but my original thread flew the coupe. For those not familiar with this 1932 Ford five window coupe, or the story, my mother spotted it not long ago while looking online at upcoming estate sales in Virginia Beach, Virginia. A tiny portion of the car was seen in one of the pictures. When I looked at the picture, all I could see was the "A pillar" , and 4 pipes sticking out. I immediately contacted the folks that handled the estate, had a friendly conversation with them, asked for more pictures, and as soon as I received them, made a deal to acquire the car. The Deuce was built in Virginia around 1957, by the owner/driver Jesse Jackson III. It ran on the street, but was also a Drag Car. It is powered by a 1957 Corvette engine that initially had dual quads. Later, the 6 Strombergs were installed. It has a '39 Ford transmission with Lincoln Zephyr gears, and a '50 Merc rear. It has '41 Chevy tail lights mounted vertically , a '56 T Bird steering wheel, '49 Ford inside window cranks and handles, '55 Chevy ignition switch, old maroon and white "Tuck & Roll", and other than the slicks , tires, and freshly color matched wheels, is untouched from the mid 1960s, when the car was parked. The mural was painted by an artist named George Williams who lived in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

I respectfully ask that we keep all comments on the car, and not what the vintage mural stands for. I am looking for old Drag Racing photo's of the car. Any Hot Rodders from the East Coast, please check your pics and books, and let me know if you find anything.

Today, the folks handling the estate where the car was at, found 6 never before seen photo's, and I am very excited about this. The first couple of pictures were taken in the garage where the car sat. The next few were taken after I painted the wheels (computer color matched by PPG) and installed the slicks and tires. The last batch of vintage pictures are the 6 that were sent to me today. Enjoy,and I hope someone out there digs up old racing pics.

thumbnail.png thumbnail-4.png thumbnail-5.jpeg thumbnail-14.jpeg thumbnail-13.jpeg thumbnail-12.jpeg thumbnail-11.jpeg thumbnail-1.png thumbnail-5.png thumbnail-6.png thumbnail-7.png thumbnail-8.png thumbnail-9.png

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

bitchin car man, best of luck finding the history

3. catdad49

catdad49

I can feel another history lesson coming! Thanks for sharing, Carp.

raven, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.

4. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Ridiculous Kool factor!! DeLuxe...

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd hate to be the poor bugger who had to tune on that engine after it pulled back in the pits after a run with those headers but that one sure has the built back then vibe rocking.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to see it back up again... @axle you mentioned a possible Garlits connection and here is a pic with I believe Garlits running against a Deuce...is it that Deuce?...not sure as the wild pipes are not evident but my question is did Jesse, I think that was the Owners name possibly add the Wilder pipes later?

Don-Garlits-first-dragster.jpg

https://www.tbucketplans.com/don-garlits-first-dragster-t-bucket/

Credit to Photographer, Owner

7. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Dang Stogy, you keep coming up with possibilities!!! Great eye for the details!!!

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

The wild pipes don't quite fit the rest of the car,
    headlights, tail lights and fully upholstered make it look like it's built for the street

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. Maybe just an addition to the coupe - like was said - maybe bought those headers off a dragster guy....for more power ?

10. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

That’s what I think about the headers too. A last minute add on before a race meet and they never came back off.

The car appears to me as a nice street car that did double duty on the drag strip.

Alex hasn’t showed the hood that came with the car. It looks like a street hood. The sides don’t fit on with the headers.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad the thread is back, nice car and its history needs to be found. When I had the Lyndwood rail that was built in 1959 and raced into 1962 they ran two different sets of headers. They claimed the car ran differently with the weed eaters and the shorter pipes. Bob

12. CQQL! It seems more and more of these hot rods are turning up! And a 32 five window is the holy grail of hot rods. What are you going to do with it??

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@axle I would hope you could acquire or borrow those images so you can do a better scan and make copies for yourself as those ones you shared are okay but full on hi res would be even better when was that 1955ish?

Perhaps the Family can remember some of Jesse's Hotrod friends that they can approach them to help connect you with other avenues for additional Good Stuff...

Is that a heat vent molded into the floor?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  14. Happy to see the thread back. Hope we can continue the search for information (and pictures) of this great find..........Don.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I foresee two easily adaptable faces to this Hotrod. One is a Vintage Late 50s Drag Coupe with the Wild Flared Up-Zooms with perhaps a metal/plexi Hood in any of the Period Shades and then a Street friendly Version with the radical Exhaust substituted for a more healthy exhausting setup anywhere but your windows retaining the Hood or another...That will be Axles call...as will everything...I want to here it run with those Upsters

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  16. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best of luck filling in the gaps on your car’s history. You already know more , than I have been able to garner on mine over the last 48 years of having owned her.

17. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

When my bud bought his 32 it had headers that were put on upside down and switched sides for some reason, maybe that's the case here ,That Garlits pic ? Dam Stogy.

18. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

19. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Since it looks like at one time it had a red and white paint job you will have to keep an eye out for pictures of it in that configuration. Considering the unusual two-tone arrangement it would be easy to spot.

chryslerfan55, Stogy, axle and 2 others like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmmm...easy...the arse end with those unusually positioned tailights would be a giveaway but again you need a pic...still snooping...I'm optimistic and again Jessie's or Jesse's old Car buddies if the family knew any might be the slam dunk @axle needs...

21. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Hi guys, a week ago I took the plugs out and poured a little Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder. I spent a couple days cleaning all of the contacts, Jets from the Strombergs, poured a little gas in the two center carbs, and WAMMM - she fired up! The first couple of start-up's were as expected. Smoke, a slight rough idle ( remember, it sat for 1/2 Century) but by the third or forth start-up, it really got going.

Budget36, jadz928, dwollam and 11 others like this.
  22. axle

axle
    from Drag City

One more thing. I received a call from the folks running the estate where I bought the car from. They found the original title to the car. Again, I'm very grateful, but hope they dig up some awards and Drag Racing photo's. ;-)

dwollam, mad mikey, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Folks in California will be more excited over the title than the car itself. :rolleyes:

slack, loudbang, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10922441_938939339464150_3583225485027791639_n.jpg

:rolleyes:...I wish I could see the back of this...I know there's several differences but again was there an evolution over the years...I do Notice I believe Guide Headlights in the Early build pics...I guess the color, stance and 57 got me a little excited...;)

Credit to Photographer, Owner

25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

26. Cool find!

loudbang and axle like this.
  27. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Howdy Tman, long time no hear! Hope you're safe and healthy

28. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Stogy, You've been finding Coupes that have strong similarities ! Keep em coming, pal! Thanks

29. Great here man! I will give you a call some time. Dropped you a FB friend request a while back

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.