Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moody-Jones 37 Chevy gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty1, Dec 31, 2008.

1. elgringo71

elgringo71

The 33-39 Willys model 48 (not the Shark Nose 39) all came from the factory with four bolt wheels. I have heard Gene say that he drilled one of his Willys axles and bent it racing. He probably swapped it out with an earlier original Willys axle. I believe that the Anglias also came from the factory with 4 bolt axles but am less knowledgeable about Anglias.

Quain Stott likes this.
  2. rooman

rooman

A lot of gassers back in the day used the stock Willys front hubs.

Roo

Quain Stott likes this.
  3. Zoera

Zoera

Just stumbled upon this thread. About five or six years ago I was looking for a pair of '37-'38 Chevy coupe doors for a vintage modified stock car. I traveled to southern MA. (near Cape Cod) and bought a pair for what I thought was more money than they were worth. Supply and demand, so I bought 'em anyways. On both doors were "Moody Jones" painted years earlier. The guy had the rest of the car, but it was sliced and diced. Old Chevy Gasser he said. I'll find and post the photos if anyone's interested in seeing them. I never cut them up.

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Yes for sure post the pics. i'm real good friends with moody and Jones. I will see that they get copies of them.

5. Zoera

Zoera

6. Zoera

Zoera

Wasn't aware of the Moody Jones history or what the names meant. Only that the seller said it was a Chevy Gasser. He also had the remains of the body. I bought the pair. This body I already had.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  7. wow, cool to see my old thread back up,...wouldn't it be great to get Dale & Sam and both the 37 & 55's to attend the Meltdown drags in Byron ?...that would make my day.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The 37 chevy along with Sam and Dale will be at the Southeast Gasser race in Lyons Indiana July 28th. Sam has built a SEGA legal car and will be racing with the SEGA at select races this year.
    2018 dates.jpg

9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I'm sending the pics to Sam and Dale right now. I'll let you know they're response. Thanks so much I'm sure they will be thrilled.

10. Zoera

Zoera

Here's the other side. looks like the # 210 at the bottom MoodyJonesLFDoor.jpg

rusty1, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  11. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I sent Sam the pics and below is what he said
    I bought the car in 1957 and it was perfect and I have known of it ever since, the doors have never been replaced to my knowledge.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  12. ...sounds like someone just wanted to be like Moody/Jones then...

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  13. rooman

rooman

When the real car ran that style lettering the race # was 37 and it was on the rear quarter panel. It did run as #212 at one point but the lettering was in a single line and in a different font.

Roo

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  14. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

When the body work was done, on the real car to get it ready for the 50th US Nationals, there were pictures taken when the doors were sanded down. You could still see some of the original lettering. I was there and saw it with my own eyes. The rusted car pictured is definitely not the real car or doors. In fact, there was still some of the original gold paint around the hood area that was used to match the color.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  15. Zoera

Zoera

Good to know. Now I won't feel guilty when I sand, primer and paint the doors. It just was strange seeing the whole car sliced up in a yard near New Bedford, MA. My guess was there was a 2nd car.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  16. Zoera

Zoera

Gotta say it's a beautiful car (the new one). I know an elderly modified driver who did not remember another version of a car he actually drove in the 70's. Maybe it was real, maybe not. The font is too correct to be a knock-off in my opinion. Someone forgot another car that was probably sold. These doors were very old. MoodyJonesNew3.jpg

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  17. rooman

rooman

Please read post #71. Sam is far from infirm and plenty of people that know him also know that the car has been in the same area of Indiana since his purchase of it in 1959. And as for the doors that you have, how did the gold paint go away totally and leave the lettering, especially when there are red and blue paint remnants on the upper areas? As for the font there are some important differences like the top of the "O" and the "Y". Whoever owned your doors was dreaming about having a big time gasser.

Roo

18. Najaf4life

Najaf4life

Old topic... but I’d like to share some photos of two jackets I have. IMG_4046.JPG IMG_4045.JPG IMG_4044.JPG IMG_4042.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. long island vic

long island vic

The 37 has 4 lug fronts back then,,, I know people used opel. But that was years before they came to america.. Anyone take a shot????

enloe likes this.
  20. long island vic

long island vic

Never mind..as told play the tape til the end,,you will have the answer

enloe likes this.