Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chopping The Top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Jun 10, 2020.

1. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I'm seeking advice on chopping the top of an '31 5 window Ford. Looking to lose 3". I'm thinking I'll need to tack the doors shut and tack in some braces in the body and the roof. What's some good advice on measurements and cutting? As well as welding. I've never done this and rather not trash a good body. What's some good tools to use for cutting?

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As to the tools, Sawsall and cut off wheels will do the cutting.. It seems that you need to make a decision on the size of the rear window you want. If you want a big window, you will cut around the window as opposed to cutting through the window area

3. alchemy

alchemy

Step one, bolt it down tight to a straight frame.

Step two, align the doors and trunk lid, perfectly.

Step three, tack bracing inside from side to side, and front to back so the body won't spread. Triangulate a few as well.

Step four, read up on chopping a top, and only use the advice of the smartest guys.

hrm2k likes this.
  4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Don't tack weld the doors in. Tack weld some EMT tubing instead. With the doors welded in it just makes getting in and out to do work more difficult.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Duke

Duke

Make sure the body is properly mounted on the frame, body blocks and shims are in place so your doors close nice and your body lines line up. If you need to do any other body repair, do that before the chop. You don’t need to mud it, just get everything straight and deal with the rust. You may be surprised what is out when you start fixing things. You can check out my build for an idea on how to lay out the cuts. We used an air zip and a body saw. We also used pipe clamps around the doors and front windshield placed at the cut lines to act as a guide. When you layout the cuts take your time and measure twice. Mine was well braced and straight, but things moved when we took the top off. All it took was some pressure with a port a power on the b pillars to get things aligned. That small moment made it look like we had cut one side too far until we moved the pillars. If things don’t look right, stop and measure. Once it fits nice start tacking things together. Make sure you work around the car. Do not concentrate heat. Every pin hole needs to be welded up. This is a slow process, rushing this will warp things.

6. Duke

Duke

My thread is called “ Finally got it chopped”

7. Don Dillard did a tech on this.

8. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Thanks for the advice. Now to find someone local to help me along. I rather not do it alone.