Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Out of round mickey thompsons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snod83, Jun 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snod83

snod83
    from Indiana

First - I don't post often, mostly I just read and absorb so I guess I am new-ish.

I am having a hell of a time with a set of 33*19.5*15 Mickey Thompson's on my T-bucket. I tried to be cheap and I bought a set of new old stock tires that have been sitting in a guys' pile for probably 10 years or more.

Long story short they are terribly out of round. Like I can't go over 30 without it beating the crap outta me! My old ones would come out of this after a short drive, these won't.

Any ideas?

Also, I put balance beads in the tubes and made them worse somehow...

dana barlow likes this.
  2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

In the most direct , non emotional way possible ....they're junk...

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only thing I know is to break them down and rotate them 180 degrees, inflate them and see how they are then. Sounds like they belong on someone's never driven garage queen display car though.

warhorseracing and scotty t like this.
  4. snod83

snod83
    from Indiana

I am afraid of that... So much for trying to save a buck.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

tire pressure? rotate on wheel. never heard of beads inside a tube tire. 10 years is a long time sitting for tires. don't think they will last long. switch sides with tires.

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

how wide a wheel?

7. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Well.... I'd go see how well my posi is working... An lean into it... Take a lil' off the fun way..

loudbang and Budget36 like this.
  8. snod83

snod83
    from Indiana

17"

9. snod83

snod83
    from Indiana

No posi, but I was pissed enough I tried to burn em round!!! Just beat me up more....

10. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Plan B) good ol bleach )

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry but I’d throw them away. I would not trust a 10 year old tire. I had one with great tread blowout just driving at 30 mph.

loudbang and trollst like this.
  12. Road Racer

Road Racer

Tire shops wont touch anything over 7 years old,

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I agree with jimmy six. Not worth it, but... that wide of tire you might try making sure the tube is centered. Wide race tires can give the shakes if the tube is off centered . Pull the tires and tube out , throw the tube on rim and air up the tube and see where it is sitting on the rim. Just because the factory valve stem hole is there it still could be pulling on the valve stem. Aired it up and see.

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Are the tubes old ? I would pull your tubes wether they are new or not , air them up and see if any bulges or irregularities in the tube. Check your tires, if radials look for a broken belt, weak side walls on either type of tire.

16. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Another old trick you can try...blow them up to 45-50 lbs, and set them out in the hot sun with a sheet of clear plastic draped over them, forming a "Hot house" over them. Leave them that way all day, or maybe even a couple days.
    Then after they cool off in the evening, air them back down to the 16-20 lbs your Bucket probably is best at and give them a try.

Gives them a stretch and relax and might clear up an out of round condition.
    Old drag and circle track trick.
    If it doesn't help your only out a little time.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

How much air do you have in them? Probably don’t need over 10-15 lb max.

dana barlow likes this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Check over your rims as well. Could be bent, out of round . Have you checked over your suspension? Loose / broken parts. Maybe the design ? Spring(s) , shocks?

dana barlow likes this.
  19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

That's pretty good,it's what I did also and it work on a set. But I marked the fairly flat spot with chalk an used a hair dryer some to speed up,I had rim an tire mounted on a spindle clamped to a saw horse=so I could roll it with a box next to it too see how round it was getting. Depenning on how old and how stored, if you can see any rubber cracks,yes junk then. If you get them round again,do not just park the rod,jack the rears off the ground if you park it more a day max. My son only runs 12 lbs in his rears,they had some out of round when he got them,but have no cracks in rubber,runs tubeless.
    Have run a little over 100 a few times,fairly smooth.
    ShowCoolingIt.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Matbe put the rear in the air, spin the tires. See what you have.

blowby and dana barlow like this.
  21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Throw another pair of tires/rims on and take it for a ride. Sometimes cool costs.

22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

What are they like under 30mph? Still rough but not beating you up cause of the slower speed.

23. snod83

snod83
    from Indiana

So - more information on this issue. I put around 8-10k miles per year on my T-bucket and the only thing I have changed is the tires. The previous tires were 33*21.50*15s and I got a deal on these 19.5s so I decided to try them. There is no issue with the suspension or the rims. I had the tire guy re-use the tubes. I need to check to see if they spec the same tube or not.

The tires themselves have no cracking or anything and my last set of tires lasted 15 or so years so I wasn't too worried about the age. I run 6psi as the t-bucket is so light (1500lbs with me in it). Anything more makes the ride really rough. However I have tried these new tires up to 15psi and no change.

Previously if it sat for more than just a couple of days they would flat spot, but it would come out of them within a mile of driving or so. The previous tires physically felt softer, if that is a thing. These new ones are very hard. I think this is why they are not working themselves out.

I will try the sun thing, but I have also read about softening them with kerosene. Anyone tried that?

Thanks for all the replies! Also, attached is a picture of my T-bucket.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Is there a date code on the tires? As you state, "they have been sitting for 10 years or so", what's "or so"? Is it another 5, 10 years? As others have stated, throw them away! An old tire, that big, on a T bucket, open wheel car, is only asking for trouble.

Irish Mike likes this.
  25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I put some used mud tires on my 4x4 last fall, one was a shaker, out of round. I put 40lbs. in it and drove it for a couple months that way. Don't use it on the highway much so not a big deal. It started getting smoother. Aired it back down and by the end of winter I could cruise on the highway shake free.

Never had luck with tire beads. I know others have, just my experience.

26. I don't know about using kerosene, but from the sound of it, it may not make the tires any worse than they are. However, rubber LOVES silicone. I'd say if anything, you might get a can of silicone lube and spray them down a couple times and let them soak it in for a spell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.