Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A maybe stupid i beam question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gasolinedeniz, Jun 10, 2020.

1. I hope that's not too stupid a question. But from where to where do I measure to find out how much drop i have on my ibeam? I am not sure if i have a 3 or a 4 drop?

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

You 'd have to compare it to a stock axle to determine drop.

LAROKE likes this.
  3. xix32

xix32

It seems like everybody measures that in a different way, But I would put a straight edge across from the top of king pin bosses ( with the king pins out), and then measure down to the top side of the axle spring perch boss

alanp561 likes this.
  4. Post a photo, a sharp eyed axle guy can usually tell you by looking, if it's a original that has been dropped. HRP

dana barlow and Desoto291Hemi like this.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

6. Most axles that you buy are not measuring drop over stock but just the drop of the axle itself. They normally measure from the center of the axle to the center of the king pin bung.

like this

fix.jpg

olscrounger, ROCKER77 and 51504bat like this.
  7. Thanks guys :) I will make a picture tomorrow

8. Danny this has nothing to do or very little to do with the thread. One of the guys from P&J/Super Bell was passing through my place a few years back. he saw my tube axle hangin on the wall and asked if he could throw a tape on it. Then he says, "Who in the world drops an axle 3 5/8?" I just gave him one of these :rolleyes: and said, "Uh my old man?"

41rodderz and Max Gearhead like this.