Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Knob Grilles, fasten knobs to what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ken bogren, Jun 9, 2020.

1. ken bogren

ken bogren

Looking at the custom threads I'm wondering what builders fastened all those cabinet knobs to in their custom grilles.

Some kind of wire mesh or expanded metal ?

2. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Usually expanded metal. They seem to always look better if there'a a very slight horizontal bend in it.

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  3. Usually perforated metal. Expanded metal isn't flat unless it's been rolled after expanding. You can also get perforated metal in wider ranges of different materials, patterns and perforation sizes.

dana barlow and 5window like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of the best ones to me used chrome drawer handles mounted vertical and not knobs. The perforated metal was painted flat black. I remember one 57 Chevrolet in the early 60’s that after he mounted the drawer puller style handles cut away most of the metal in between and his seemed to “float” between the hood chrome and bumper.

loudbang likes this.

5. ken bogren

ken bogren

Thanks guys. I guess I didn't realize perforated metal came in different perf sizes. I've only seen smaller openings and thought that might restrict airflow to the radiator too much.

6. Most suppliers will give a 'open area' percentage for a given type. It can be as low as 20%, as high as 75% depending on the hole size and pattern. 40 to 60% is typical...

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

8. And remember....they were held on by a screw to a drawer....not to hard to have them held on by a screw on something else...........

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  9. ken bogren

ken bogren

Stan;ow69, tanks for the photos, pretty helpful. That looks like it took 80 -90 knobs, if I counted right. Is there a spec for that backing metal grid?

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Perforated metal or expanded metal, recessed into the grille opening a few inches, mounted to small angle iron vertical supports all painted flat black. Drawer pulls fastened with screws through the holes in the metal.

11. ken bogren

ken bogren

Thanks guys. I think I found a source for flat expanded metal that would give me a grid of about 2-3/8 x 2-1/2 center to center of 1-1/2" knobs.

12. J53

J53
    from WI

Check out bankerwire.com

Much nicer looking stuff than standard expanded steel although pricy. I have a couple doors that I salvaged from a large computer server cabinet that I might use for mine. Thousands of round 1/4” holes

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

[​IMG]
    I’ve always used ‘58 Ford grilles. Nice pattern and stiffer than expanded metal.
    I use to pick them up for $20 a piece...gotten pricer the past few years.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

stanlow69 and dana barlow like this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

69 knobs. ..just dreamin" here.:rolleyes: