Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ophelia- Good and Getting Better

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Shoop107, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Shoop107

Shoop107

How do you make a good car better?

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve built a car in my head. All the way down to which gauges are in the dash and rear gear ratios. I figured it was time I start building things that are in my garage so that’s what I did.

I’m lucky enough to have this 1950 Ford. It’s perfect. Well it’s the perfect car for me to take and make perfect. Or perfect enough to put a grin on my face.

Here’s the details-
    Shoebox Central is responsible for the stance and stopping. Drop springs, 2” blocks, and worn out shocks in the rear. Lowering springs up front and I’ll call them “better” brakes.

Literally everything else is restored to Henry Ford original. 6 volt positive ground and I’m not changing it. Stock flatty. 3 speed overdrive. Stock interior. Great black lacquer paint. Like I said it’s perfect to make perfect.

Here’s a quick preview:
    [/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  2. Shoop107

Shoop107

So the first thing I did was lower it. The rear had 2” blocks but they were on the wrong side of the spring so I flipped them and got 2 more inches of cool. On the first test drive o figured out why they were on the bottom of the spring. Can you say covered wagon?

That’s what bump stops are for I guess. I’ll get around to notching it soon but this’ll do for now. It looks way better. Here’s before and after:

Attached Files:

3. Shoop107

Shoop107

So it’s lower. Great. But what’s that awful ticking noise? It’s a valve and lifter with too much space between them. Right?

Wrong! It’s an exhaust guide that’s FUBAR. No problem. Off with the head! I’ll just swap it all out and get to cruising. Right?

Wrong again! I’m treating the old girl to some EABs. Off with the heads!

And the rest of those guides look kind of rough so those are getting swapped too.

Might as well do the whole valve train while you’re there.

Heck. Why not regrind the cam and get some adjustable lifters? No sense in coming this far without it.

See where this is going? I summoned my inner diesel mechanic and decided to inframe it. Not because it’s easier than pulling the motor but because pulling the motor will draw attention from the strict HOA. Yup. Believe it or not engine hoists for draw attention when the rules say no mechanic work allowed. Here goes nothing.....

Attached Files:

4. Shoop107

Shoop107

Now you think I’m nuts. And that’s not untrue. But there’s a method to my madness. At least that’s what I tell myself.... And my wife, who’s not sure how she lost her warm parking spot in the garage. I tell you she’s a saint and you’ll believe me when you see what happens next.

So it’s apart and time for a valve job. I gather the tools necessary to do the job and knock it out in half an hour. Right?

Yup. You guessed it. Lo and behold the seats are every height but the right one and crooked as a politician. That’ll take some fixing but I’m up for the challenge. I start figuring a pilot and drill combo that’ll let me change seats at the house. Phone rings right in the middle of this. Good buddy Matt is calling.

Me: Hello?

Matt: Hey. You need a 4” crank for that flathead.

Me: Are you telling or asking?

Matt: Telling.

Me to myself: So much for not pulling the motor.... but how?

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and dwollam like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ophelia is fortunate to have you...that is inherently obvious. Your decisive approach to retain the ambience of the Yesteryear is admirable...totally get the compromises and Salute you doing what you can to make it right...the lowered look is a nice touch...

Hope you back in business soon...thanks for sharing...we look forward to your continued adventures... @Shoop107

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

8. Shoop107

Shoop107

So at this point I’m convinced. Motor has to come out and here comes a Saturday with pretty weather. I make a phone call and an engine hoist is on its way in the back of good buddy Kevin’s truck. While he drives I’m unhooking bolts. This boat anchor was 99% ready to come out anyway so by the time he gets here I’m ready to snatch it out.

Kevin pulls in and our cover is blown immediately. Across the street neighbor walks out of his house as we unload the unmistakable frame of an engine hoist.

Neighbor: Morning. Something wrong with the engine?

Do I lie and come up with an excuse or tell the truth and risk a nastygram and possible fines? The truth. The truth is always the answer.

Me: Yes sir. Engines worn out. I’m carrying it to work to rebuild.

What feels like an eternity later....

Neighbor: Oh neat! We love that car. Can’t wait to see it running.

Talk about relief! Wouldn’t you know it? Half the neighborhood went on a walk that morning and everyone of them said the same thing. Talk about motivation!

The engine pull went smooth. Took about an hour from the time he pulled up till the engine was strapped in the bed ready for the short ride to the machine shop.

That leads us to where we are today. Parts have been collected and machine work has started. The excitement level is growing as summer quickly approaches.

This thread is more about accountability and shared excitement than anything. Not looking for advice or opinions. Don’t really care to achieve perfection. Just trying to get these ideas out of my head and onto a car. Tag along and enjoy. I’ll do my best to keep this updated.

Attached Files:

9. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Perfect is correct! Nice!

10. stinson

stinson
    from alabama

Love the cool parts waiting to go on pile. Its gonna be good cant wait!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  11. Great wife and understanding neighbors.....Priceless.

12. I just had to open this thread when I saw the title - I just became a grandpa today for the first time, and the baby's name is Ophelia. :)
    Good luck with your project!

dwollam likes this.
  13. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I'm following along! Yeah if you can get the neighbors interested then will be batting for you. Of course it certainly helps that yours is a neat looking old car. If you were working on a dirty primered 1983 Camaro you would have them calling in immediately!!

14. Shoop107

Shoop107

Update! I forgot how much I hate body work on cars that are together. My OCD kicks in and I go too far. Seems like a running theme at this point though.

Right now I’m scuffing what paint is decent and sanding through what needs filler or hammer work. Eventually I’ll have to stop ignoring the pile of wires in the corner but I don’t have the motivation for that right now.

Anyway. Here she is:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and stinson like this.
  15. Shoop107

Shoop107

More updates:

Engine bay painted and ready for an engine. Parts are ordered. Generator is getting rebuilt and converted to 6 bolt positive ground. Intake is polished. Engine is waiting on me to finish the machine work and get around to the fun part where I put it together.

This is usually the point in my projects where I run out of time and and money and have to push it in the corner. Not this time. Seems like an impossible task but I’m going to try and have this wrapped up and driving down the road by my birthday. July 1st is coming quick but what a birthday present that would be.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. patsurf

patsurf

why the delco gen??the ford was already pos grd/==

17. You tell a good story. Keep the updates coming! I like this thread.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Finally, full sized pictures.
    I didn’t look at the other ones, I’m done with thumbnail pictures.