Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowered ride quality help.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ZThompson53, Jun 8, 2020.

1. ZThompson53

ZThompson53

When I bought the car it had 3 inch blocks in the back and cut springs in the front(may have been heated as well) replaced front slrings with 3 inch drop springs and trimmed the rear bump stops. The rear rides great now but the front rides like a tank. Its sitting on the bump stops in the front, can I trim those down a bit without worrying about the lca contacting the frame? Is there something else I can do besides stepping the lca's or swapping to a mII crossmemeber?

Sent from my SM-G977U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. ZThompson53

ZThompson53

3. alchemy

alchemy

Don't they make dropped uprights for those? Sure you can trim the bump stops, and maybe gain yourself a half inch. Is that enough?

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like you went too far. It’s all a decision we all make when changing a stock car. I would contact one of the suppliers like Buffalo Enterprises for dropped spindles and put in stock springs that way you can have 2-1/2 to 3” drop and a stock ride. Ford guy of this era use Granada spindles to get their drop. Good luck

5. ZThompson53

ZThompson53

I'm not sure. Anything would help though. I just don't want to go too far and the lca's hit the frame, already looks like its close.

6. ZThompson53

ZThompson53

It was already this low when I got it, guy I bought it from said the coils were cut and when I looked at them they looked to have been heated. Either way I needed new springs, just boughtthe wrong ones apparently ha. Car looks so good that low, just rides like a wounded donkey. I'll look into uprights.

7. lowrd

lowrd

I used the Fatman dropped uprights and cut one full oil from the original springs. Had to trim the bump stops in half, but as of yet it has not bottomed out. Front tires are nicely buried in the opening and looks good.

jimmy six and ZThompson53 like this.
  8. ZThompson53

ZThompson53

Thats how mine sits now with G78-15 cokers. Love the look, hate the ride. I'll trim on the bump stops tomorrow and see if that improves the ride at all.

9. ZThompson53

ZThompson53

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You have nothing to loose at this point. Trim or remove bump stops. It's not stock anymore.

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  11. Cut the stops down and run lower tire pressure and enjoy the ride.

12. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I have jamco drop springs up front 3" drop, they ride stiffer but still pretty dang nice, bump stops about 1" to 1.5" from touching control arm, I have tons of travel. Yours doesnt look lower than mine for sure. Id possibly get some different bump stops or cut yours riding on the stops sucks and will rattle fillings loose.

You can see my clearance here somewhat when I was building it.
    IMG_0893.JPG

How low I sit at after things settling in.

53-26.jpg
    IMG_1168.JPG

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've been using progressive bump stops on my custom builds. Started using the stock GM ones, but now, I believe Dorman makes them, cheaper and easier to find. Not a fix for all, but if you're just barely hitting the bumps stops, these will soften the blow.

14. dragginwagon2

dragginwagon2
    from Ohio

Might be a stupid question, but when you put the drop coils in front did you change the shocks to drop shocks also ? I have 3" drop up front on mine AND i cut a coil off of them and mine rides fairly decent

15. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

^^^^This. I had this problem with my 64. Shocks were bottoming out. Didn't figure that out until they started to leak. When you're 19.... Glad I learned from it...

dragginwagon2 likes this.
  16. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Unless its a 1" drop 99% of the time I get drop shocks, or in the cases of non mainline vehicles, I search the monroe website, search for shock that fits with the correct ends etc. Have had to do that too many times to count. Another good source for shocks if you want something over factory is to look at a good supplier such as QA1. In general all lowering I have done is normally over 2" drop minimum and requires shorter shocks, only exception to the rule is drop spindles or uprights.

17. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

When you cut your springs you soften the ride , when you buy lowering springs they are made of thicker coils ,so you will get a stiffer ride , new springs need some time to soften a little, bump stops and shocks need attention if you go more than 2", years ago they use to make kits that space or relocated your shocks to compensate for the drop, you can also have your "A" arms modified if aftermarket ones are not available .

18. ZThompson53

ZThompson53

When I finally got back to working on the car I noticed that the left front lca is ever so slightly bent and binding up against the frame. Looking for another lca and not doing anything with it until the front end rebuikd kit comes in.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.