Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help me identify this blown Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad Marcak, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Brad Marcak

Brad Marcak

I recently found this old school blown Flathead. It looks to be built in the late 50’s. It’s a big bore stroker with big valves and it has been ported. I’m hoping the hand made blower manifold and the solid machined heads will help identify who built it and approximate year it was built. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Brad
    48B594FE-C23C-44A6-8464-52E2983E4CD7.jpeg 3FDF5676-CBD0-4883-8562-6BD03EB4E7B8.jpeg 1ED7AB76-6BBE-446B-B829-0D28D6B4DE9E.jpeg

catdad49, kidcampbell71 and Budget36 like this.
  2. Can't help but it sure is cool. HRP

3. squirrel

squirrel

motor plates and microgroove belts make it look 1980s or newer?

4. Brad Marcak

Brad Marcak

Yes, I wondered about that also. The heads are solid and the machining of the heads and construction of the manifold indicate manual machining equipment

5. Fordors

Fordors

The aluminum plate under the homemade injector hold blower restraint straps, those are a relatively new thing too. Could it have been an early build for the short block that got updated at a later date?
    Whatever it is, it’s unique and cool in its simplicity, no rounded edges or fins but that just emphasizes the home built look.

ottoman likes this.
  6. Brad Marcak

Brad Marcak

Yes, there are a lot of items that don’t “fit” together. The heads have holes through them that line up with the coolant holes in the block? No way to circulate coolant that I’ve been able to figure out. Maybe old components updated with the motor plates, multi groove pulleys and blower restraint straps

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8BA front cover, but no water inlets in the heads. Boat motor? Lot of oil plumbing in back, maybe a dry sump? Why would the hoses need to be 5/8"? Weird. Dragster? Water jackets should be filled then. Odd for sure.

8. Brad Marcak

Brad Marcak

It’s definitely got me stumped. Appreciate all the replies.

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Indications of manual machining equipment doesn't necessarily mean it's real old. My 1940's Atlas lathe and 60's Cincinnati mill don't have DRO, and are not CNC machines, but they are still in use, manually.

Crazy that it has coolant holes drilled completely through the heads. Definitely a cool setup.

10. Isn't Flathead John down near you - I'd send him a PM so he could come by for a look see......with Squirrel and others.....some out of the box/era stuff going on there...

11. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I'm kinda thinking that the oil lines are for a remote filter, full flow. Also, the heads are missing the top portion of 2pc head set. No other reason to drill coolant holes thru. Studs are rather short for that, unfinished mockup? Any idea of what the rest of the mill contains? Might give more clues as to intended usage. Still, very neat.
    Marcus...

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good call on the 2 pc heads:cool:

13. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Mounts too wide for a dragster.Has two piece heads,you can see the yellowish corrosion .Me thinks boat engine

14. looks great to me, would look even better between the rails of the FED...........

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. can't help on that one.. buy wow ! it's a crazy set up.