Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jakes tub

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4eva4banger, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Has anyone got any kool pics of Jim "Jake" Jacobs tub. The one that is brush painted on Deuce rails that Tony Thacker helped plaster with old HOT ROD Magazine pics.

2. [​IMG] Wish I did! Hope some one does.
    I was just thinking about it this week.
    I remember some colored ones taken on the salt flats. Always liked that, in brushpaint red or (Hot Rod cover)"decoupage", or is that "Jacob-age". Jim Jacobs is a true artist in my book.

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Got to agree about Jim Jacobs being an artist when it comes to old cars. He's done everything from restorations to high dollar rods to "SHOVE YOUR BILLIT WHERE THE SUN DONT SHINE old time hot rods. And from what I've heard he doesn't have the ATTITUDE that usually accompanies those kinds of accomplisments. I can't think of anything he has done that I don't like.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I have it somewhere ,I'll look. It's in the R&C with the limefire rod if I'm not mistaken. I'll go through the books tonite. TP Thats the red car ,correct?

5. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Oh oh, you opened the floodgates on this one. Well, my floodgate anyway. While I don't have a pic of Jake's tub, I do have a great memory of it. Years ago I was in the LA area on a work assignment. I was in San Dimas (right next door to the Pomona dragstrip) working at our Bushnell facility. As the day wore on we were discussing where to go for dinner that night. The guy I was travelling with from our homebase back in Rochester, NY eas a real gold-chainer and asked where we could go that was "worth the experience." The restaurant suggested by the local crew was somehere in downtown Pasadena. We were told that you guys will love it but, it will be expensive. My gold-chainer co-worker said let's do it. So, later that evening we hopped in our rental Taurus and headed West toward Pasadena. We were clipping along the freeway when I spied a really faint tailight several hundred yards up ahead of us. As we got closer, I originally thought the car with one small and very dim light was an older VW. However, as we got closer, I could see that it wasn't. In fact, it was a T-tub. And as we passed it by, I could see that it was Jim Jacobs in his very well known decoupage tub. He was surprised that we passed him, as he had to be doing at least 90mph! But, what the hey, we were in a hurry to get to high-fallutin EXPENSIVE restaurant. Not really, I just wanted to see, and wave, to Jake. It made my night. I'm sorry that I didn't follow him to his destination which might have been a burger joint that would have made me much happier than that place we went to. Sorry for the long-winded post but, I just had to pass my story along.

Greg Stokes and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

O and K, If memory serves me right Jakes tub isn't a T its a 28/29 A. Anyone know for sure?

Frank

7. Yeah its a 28/29 on an original Deuce frame. I try to collect everything I can on it. It was built in 28 or so days and then brush painted at the West Coast Nats in Pleasanton. O & K, what a night it would have been seeing Jitney on the freeway. I would have ditched the expensive restaurant and followed Jake. Unfortunately, living in NZ I dont get opportunities like that. Its a neat car that has really influenced the style of car I like.

8. Lowlife

Lowlife
    from MO. USA

here's a start.

Attached Files:

9. hatch

hatch
    from house

Think he owns a trailer???? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Thanks Lowlife and Hatch.
    That car makes me grin as much as Jake in Hatch's pic. Captures the whole (fun) spirit of this craft (mania?)! [​IMG]

11. I cannot tell a lie.......I liked it better before the decopouge, decopauge...aw hell, the magazine photos..

49ratfink and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. hatch

hatch
    from house

Rocky...Jake understands "fuckin with the rich wannabes"

13. KCsledz

KCsledz

Here you go!

If ya want its from Nov.2000 Hot Rod Magazine if ya get any buds down there with a collection.

Or I could always hires scan it for you and email it. Let me know. I have 2 pages of the story not the whole article.

14. KCsledz

KCsledz

15. Everything Jake has built has been bitchin to a hot rod hammer coupe, resto rod or hot rod restoration to this neat old jalopy. Does it look like he has a tonne of fun? You bet!

16. I've got the whole article 4eva4-- plus more photos. It's a '28. eMail me if you want and I can scan 'em. I think his tub is one of the best-proportioned A's on deuce chassis -- ever. I look at it everyday when I'm building my '28. I hope I can get close... [​IMG]

17. I will admit, I laid back the posts on the T tonight. I wasnt thinking of the Jakopage when I did it, but it makes a good tie-in. [​IMG]

18. Lowlife

Lowlife
    from MO. USA

I liked it best this way too.

Attached Files:

19. Lowlife

Lowlife
    from MO. USA

One more of ol' Jake in '88,one of hot rodding's good guys. I think the tub was also featured in Rod Action mag,I'll have a look.

Attached Files:

20. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

What a schmuck I am! I knew that Jake's tub was an A, but my fingers typed T and my skullbone was out to lunch! What can I do. Old age is catching up with my crusty ass. And you are right, I should have followed Jake to see where he was going but, like I said "what a schmuck"! Incidentally, I liked the tub better without the photos plastered all over it.

21. Donzie

Donzie

I figured, what's good enuff for Jake....
    So last night I dug through all my old Hot Rod magazines (some from the early '50s) and just started ripping out pages. My wife and I began glueing them (Elmer's works GREAT!) all over the car. It's just about done and should have it finished in time for Frankenmuth.

Attached Files:

22. I would like to see the Rod Action feature. I have the American Rodder one as well as the R&C article. Joe Kress and Pat Ganahl respectively did great coverage on the car.

I just wondered what else was out there. I have never seen the car in real life.

23. Saturday morning zombie thread

24. Does any body have a shot of the back end or maybe know how the rear is set up?

Attached Files:

26. Talk about an old thread! Great car to this day.

ROCKER77 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. Resurrecting a 17 year old thread might be a new record, but I got to admit I love that car. HRP

[​IMG]

28. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread was started in '03. Go back an look at all the OG HAMB guys that posted on this thread that are still around 17 years later. Crazy.

-Abone.

Tman, chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. A Boner

A Boner

Liked it more BEFORE the “Jakeoupage job”. Looks like Too Tall with his camera equipment.
    4DD52CB8-8C58-4B95-BFD7-7EFDE6D5A03E.png

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  30. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Jake was running out of time , so I helped out & made the Hood on Jake's tub , the night before he left for Pleasanton .

HEMI32, A Boner, charleyw and 7 others like this.