Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford flathead

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Darryl J Birch, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Darryl J Birch

Darryl J Birch

I have a 1954 Meteor, Canadian car, with a flathead. Yes I know, in the US the 239 flathead run ended in 53, but they made it for 1 more year in Canada before they replaced it with the Y block in 55. Anyway, I want to replace the valve seats, but I can only see that the exhaust valves have seats installed, the intake appears to be cut right in the block. Anyone with knowledge on this?

2. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Introduction definition, the act of introducing or the state of being introduced.

Boden likes this.
  3. Darryl J Birch

Darryl J Birch

???

4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Well from his post it is evident his name is Darryl J Birch, that he is from Canada and that he has a 1954 Meteor with the ford flathead. Then he asks about valve seats. What more in a introduction is really required?????
    Hi & welcome Darryl. Back in the late 50's I had a 53 Ford convertible with that flathead but it is just too long ago for me to remember about those valve seats. Someone here will know. Jimmie

ted kovacs and Boden like this.

5. Darryl J Birch

Darryl J Birch

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Welcome Daryl. Post this question on the main board and I am sure you’ll get better visibility for an answer.
    Yep. Looks to me like an acceptable intro.

Boden likes this.
  7. Boden

Boden

Well if you want to put seats in the only way I know of is to take the block to a machine shop. For the intake side atleas. Because they will have to cut away the block to make a spot for the new seat. The exhaust you could probably make a tool to pry them out. Then use a guide to hammer the new one in. And then get a carbide cutter and cut to the specified size and angle. Unless they make a hand held tool to cut away thag block I would call a machine shop and get their point of view. But here my view. I just built up my old flathead. And I work at a machine shop. And originally I wanted to put seats in. And my boss was telling me how it’s not the seats that get effected. It’s the valve. If you get new valves then there is no need to put new seats in. Maybe just give em a quick lap job and you’ll be set. And the other thing is. You don’t need lead to run stock valves and stock seats. I have talked to many guys and they say you only need lead if you’re gonna hammer that motor and really beat the balls off it. From what I’ve heard guys put a little marvel mystery oil in the gas and it works just great to solve that problem and lubricants the motor and carb.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Darryl J Birch

Darryl J Birch

Thanks. I think I will take it to a machine shop.