Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Vintage drag car trailers, pics please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am getting ready to scale our operation down to allow for towing behind the 57 Ford wagon. I know most old pics weren't of the trailers, but if anyone has any accidental pics in the background, let's see em.

I am planning on a little short 12' single axle trailer, open bay, gonna use the same size tires as what are on the wagon just to cut down on the amount of spares we would have to carry. Probably less than 500 lbs. Just need some inspiration and some good ideas.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

Here's a few enjoy.

Attached Files:

Deuces and mgtstumpy like this.
  3. Hi Root,

Here's an old thread that has a bunch of good examples.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174350&highlight=dragster+trailer

And here's mine. I've learned that the angle where the ramp sits on the trailer is to extreame and the headers hit bad. I'm going to change it so that the trailer tounge will unlatch at the front and pivot at the crossover at the back of the where the ramps are stored. I'll use a jack of some sort at the front to control it. Make sense?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Here's mine taken at Cecil County MD Div. 1 meet in 65 made it into SS & Drag Illustrated magazine then.

Attached Files:

rod1 and mgtstumpy like this.

5. I don't know if you just want pix or ideas to build one but here's mine. I used an old boat trailer (1970 vintage) and it turned out great, well balanced and tows very nicely. Also I was told that the pads for the wheels should be flat and smooth so as not to tear up the tires while bouncing down the highway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rod1, Deuces, chopped and 1 other person like this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

These are exactly what I am talking about.

7. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Here is a picture taken in 1979 with the B/SM Maverick ready to head to Pomona Winternationals.........................

I assume your car is pretty light, 1500lbs or under? If you plan to travel any distance of a couple hunderd miles I would seriously consider a dual alxe trailer. They are safer with at least one pair of brakes and will tow a lot better than a single axle trailer.....IMHO

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I hoe this thread takes off, I'm doing the same thing. I have a drop axle collected already. I need ideas too!! Here's a beautiful pic from another thread.
    [​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Nice. Anyone else?

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Old thread, bump.

rod1 likes this.
  11. spanners

spanners

Someone said to use a dual axle trailer because of the advantage of having at least one set of brakes. I used to tow my HA/GR on a single axle with only override hydraulic (surge brakes I think is the other name for them) at highway speeds. Most times you had to look in the mirror to check it was still there it towed so good. Trailer was around the 500lb mark empty, car and toolboxes add 1200lbs or so. Only reason I went to an enclosed, dual axle was so that me and the missus could save some cash by sleeping in it at the tracks.
    Cropped.JPG

rod1, Deuces, KiWinUS and 1 other person like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-8-29_5-0-33.png Bud Rasner/ Reath Automotive
    upload_2017-8-29_5-1-8.png Jim Miles
    Hey RH,

Here is an old movie that I shot in 1959 at the Riverside Raceway during an "East vs West" meet. All of the top So Cal racers were there to show their stuff against the visitors from back East and the Midwest. The clip shows two race cars on single wheel trailers. (The Rasner, Reath Auto, red, Fiat Altered and Jim Miles 34 coupe.) Those were two fast race cars from the So Cal area back then.

Jnaki

13. carryallman

carryallman

i have been wanting to build a single axle trailer to haul an anglia ,had one yrs ago -towed good ,easy to store ! BUT would like to use a big torsion axle,adj height tongue & electric brakes & 8 hole 16" 10-12 ply tires ,anybody cad me some prints up ??

14. 0ldracer

0ldracer

In 1965-66 towed this homemade one with a 1957 Nomad
    DHWillysonTrailer1966.jpg

echo ed, rod1 and 41 coupe like this.
  15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm planning on building one very soon. I'll post a thread when I do.

Deuces likes this.
  16. bdubs

bdubs

Not quite a trailer, but this made it to the 1989 Summer Nats according to the sticker on the windshield. ramptruck.jpg

Deuces and 56 ford custom like this.
  17. Here are a few I posted a while back in the "Traditional Gassers, Gas Class Cars and Modern Traditional Cars" thread. There are some more in that thread I'm sure.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deuces and 41 coupe like this.
  18. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

19. willishotrods

willishotrods

Here's my vintage tow rig. The hauler was built in the late 60's from a 59 3/4 ton GMC and the trailer was built around then as well. Both were used together for nearly 40 years. The hauler has a winch made form a chevy starter and fly wheel.

Attached Files:

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. spanners

spanners

I forgot to add, decent 8 ply light truck tyres. Don't use some old ones that you might think are era correct. No-one can see them as you're boogying down the road anyway, but they will when the tyres explode and you're frantically trying to get everything under control or worse.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-5-31_4-4-3.png
    Nick Cirino from San Andreas, California Frank Groves was the driver of the Durfee Automotive Roadster.

Hello,

In So Cal drag racing circles, the Cirino-Groves-Durfee Automotive Roadster was a force in the modified roadster category.
    upload_2020-5-31_4-4-44.png
    The most unusual thing that made the roadster stand out was the unusual injection system sitting on top of the 671 powered Oldsmobile motor. Despite the fact that the new Gilmer Belt Drive Systems were hitting the market at this time period of drag racing, they decided to stay with the multiple belt blower drive.
    upload_2020-5-31_4-5-21.png

March 1960, 2nd Annual Bakersfield Smokers March Meet

We saw this green roadster in the middle of the crowded pits at Bakersfield and it did not disappoint. We had seen several drag racing cars being towed to the races and the majority were single wheel trailers. Some had attached ramps, while others had removable ramps.
    upload_2020-5-31_4-6-9.png
    Jnaki

From @Dean Lowe :
    upload_2020-5-31_4-6-51.png

Many years later, the most famous photo was taken (and posted by many others) was from Getty Images. It was taken after the switch from the wild Hilborn Multiple Port Injection and crazy tubes to the standard 4 Port Hilborn and huge single scoop.

upload_2020-5-31_4-7-30.png

AHotRod, chryslerfan55 and cactus1 like this.
  22. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

25. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

we had a 2 axle homebrewed trailer for our altered .dovetailed pretty good, fenders were simple angle iron frames and the tops (held on with jeep style rubber latches that fit in slotted 2x10s ) that actually were the fender tops ,was super easy to unload just grab the top off the fender on your way by ,, i know ya want single axle but its all about the packaging ,,,
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

26. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

27. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

28. I'm a firm believer that Tommy Ivo was always ahead of his time when it came to dragster transportation.
    tv1.jpg Barnstormer-172.jpg Tommy-Ivo-001.jpg Tommy-Ivo-002.jpg tv2.jpg tv4.jpg tv8.jpg tv10.jpg tv16.jpg de0898a08706b50968eb237e95ba804d.jpg tv23.jpg tv24.jpg

Deuces, Butch M, Sancho and 5 others like this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

Check out that 35! Big truck cab and running boards. 5th wheel plate I am guessing. Dang it, now I won't be able to sleep thinking about this ...

Sancho likes this.
  30. A trailer I picked up from a buddy of mine a while back. He had purchased it from an old timer that used to run at el mirage and I believe at Bonneville. Bought it for a rail I was going to purchase but fell through. Until I find another it will be for my coupe but might have to modify the width in the rear but not much. Plus side it tilts.

Attached Files:

Deuces, mctim64 and Sancho like this.