Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 62 C-10 bench seat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motorplex88, Jun 8, 2020.

1. motorplex88

motorplex88

I have become tired of sitting on my old broke down bench seat. Lined up a place to get the upholstery done but wanted to replace some broken springs in the lower seat frame first. While I can find a few new DS side springs, that's it. Can't seem to find any top side front to rear springs. All the used seats I've come across naturally have the same springs broke as the one I'm working on. There are a lot of folks out there with 60-66 trucks that re-do their seats. Are they making their own springs ???, or can anybody help with who can supply ALL lower seat springs? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Take a picture. How many do you really need?

3. squirrel

squirrel

get some music wire and make your own?

I remember having the same problem with my 66 over 30 years ago....

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

5. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

could you use the springs from the passenger side?,the passenger side should not be as worn as the drivers side,not sure if they are symetrical for each side.harvey

6. squirrel

squirrel

Maybe you could post pictures, so folks could see what the problem is...

7. motorplex88

motorplex88

I have been doing some research and found that the use of "zig zag" springs is used widely in all sorts of upholstery work. This is primarily the type of springs used in my seat on the sides and edges. I can buy this type of spring in bulk, so I'm going to attempt to build my own repair replacements. I do have a top spring that is broke that is totally different but I think I can repair it with a cable clamp. When I get back to the shop I will take some pics of what I'm talking about. Thanks.

8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

That's probably why most upholstery guys now build a base from wood then use webbing and foam. I got lucky as my seat springs were all still in good shape.

Sent from my SM-A205U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. motorplex88

motorplex88

This is probably like looking at worms. The little aluminum chingadera is what I'll join two broken peices together. Hopefully I can figure out pic po IMG_20200609_094913452.jpg IMG_20200609_101951359.jpg IMG_20200609_095029424.jpg IMG_20200609_095029424.jpg sting.

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Over the years,I replaced seats in a few cars,instead of trying too fix old one. I went to junkyard with tape measure and knowing how wide I could go,to find one with nice covers an color,that feels good by testing. As for mounts to floor,that I just mod as needed,in one case the base feet from old seat worked on new. under frame First time I did that,was my Henry J,put a 55 Chevy Nomad front bench in it,but had to mod the end caps/as those made it too wide by nearly 2 in. stock,so made my own end caps an moved a handle. Big up date from "J"seat.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  11. motorplex88

motorplex88

I still find it odd that there ain't anybody making spring kits to rebuild the entire seat frame. I did find some NOS springs on ebay but not all the springs were there. $75.00 plus the ride. Yup... the ones I need were missing from the set:rolleyes:

12. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

If you are just joining 1 strip together and you have both ends,i would give it a zap with a mig welder,would hold up in there,wouldnt affect the tension if only 1 little spot?Would do in a pinch. Harvey

13. squirrel

squirrel

In my experience, MIG and spring steel don't play well together.

Sent from my Trimline

deathrowdave and alanp561 like this.
  14. motorplex88

motorplex88

I just got off the phone with my upholstery lady and I guess I don't have to worry about it. She'll take care of it. I was going to weld part of the spring ends together but I know while it will go for awhile, it won't stand the rigors of everyday use. I drive this truck everyday as my work truck so I'm not all that excited about having to fix again especially after getting new upholstery. Thank you all for your thoughts, comments, and ideas. Rick. P.S. I tried the aluminum couplers I pictured and that worked out like old people having sex.....not to well:D

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have a few that are shown, and use a coil spring where your broken spring is. Also use the couplers that are used in repairing fences. Use another piece of edge wire in repairing broken sections. So it is doubled up and use more than one coupler.

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  16. motorplex88

motorplex88

Good tip on the fence wire couplers !

17. Just Gary likes this.
  18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Use the long flat wire your finger is touching. Use hog rings around a piece of cotton and attach it to the broken piece. Use more than a few hog rings.

Thommyknocker likes this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

friend used rear seat from late model Chevy PU that has four doors. not full size rear doors. put a gas tank under bed. trimmed out any original tank brackets at rear of cab so new seat would be against cab. fit great but did have to raise seat a bit. says very comfortable .

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've seen some 80's Chevy Pickup seats used successfully in earlier C10 pickups.

21. I would beef up the very edge if the seat on the drivers side as they tend to break there and you'll be sitting at a slight angle towards the door.

22. I'm just doing a mockup here, I haven't wrapped them yet
    Look about right?
    IMG_20230402_172013499.jpg

Squablow likes this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Yes, on the front repair. I`m not sure the zig zag springs will work. They will curve downward when sitting in the seat.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  24. Gotcha,
    The zigzags do move more than the stock straight bars.
    I'll try moving the good stock ones to the side, then zig zags in the middle

stanlow69 likes this.
  25. Thanks a bunch for your help gang

Another fine job well done

PXL_20231022_205145699.jpg

Squablow likes this.
  26. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

That blue fabric looks great!!

27. Squablow

Squablow

Looks good! Had to do similar seat frame repairs for my dad's 65 GMC this summer. I pieced together several broken ones, swapped some from the center of the seat to the driver's side, and added some reinforcement springs to give the driver's side more support. Didn't look the prettiest when I had it all together but felt great when done.

It seems like tying the long springs together helps spread the load out, I clamped a couple of generic zig zag springs to the long skinny stock springs horizontally, so if one is getting pushed down, they all are. That really helped take the sag out. Might be useful if someone in the future sees this thread, I should have taken pictures.