Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Got her to start but won’t idle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Christie, Jun 6, 2020.

1. it’s missing a part on there?!?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I took out a plug there to check on the vacuum, just didn’t put plug back prior to pic

3. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

True, but you can still set the idle with one. Problem is all choke and fast idle cam is missing, among other things so idle screw is useless

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, let me find a photo......

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Christie here are a couple of photos I've drawn on, one I stole from the internet and one is your carb. The first photo is of a carb with no choke so it doesn't have the black plastic choke cover on it, but I drew an arrow pointing to a disk that the idle speed screw touches. The idle speed screw takes the place of someone sitting in the car and holding the accelerator pedal slightly down, which is what you have to do in your car to keep it idling. When you let off the accelerator your carburetor is cutting off all air flow and the engine starves. The second photo is one of your carb which I have also drawn on. There is a rod from the top of the carb which is attached to a lever on the choke. At the bottom of this rod there is a part that is not round, but rather has an increasing radius on the side that the idle speed screw touches. When the choke is closed, this "cam" is moved to a position that holds the idle speed screw open a little further, so that the car idles faster when the choke is closed. As the car warms up and the choke opens, the cam rotates in sync with the choke and lowers the idle speed. You are missing this fast idle hardware.

holley94_LI.jpg
    Holley 94_LI.jpg

Blues4U, Christie, ottoman and 2 others like this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So it is idling down by the dash pod, maybe?

Christie likes this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If it revs when you restrict the air , you have a vacuum leak

Desoto291Hemi and Christie like this.
  8. I checked for a vacuum leak in the first video I posted and the gauge read correctly. ‍♀️ unless I did it wrong

9. I take my hat off to ya for giving it a go yourself, not to patronise ya, just giving it where it’s due.
    Along with plenty of help on here you’ll sort it.

Christie likes this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Christie likes this.
  11. Thank you. I really couldn’t do this without all your help! I appreciate it so much!

Also, I’m wondering if I can fabricate/rig something to be similar to that piece, just to get her working till I get the part... what do you guys think?

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You should be able to find a washer of the correct diameter to work.

Christie likes this.
  13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You said it's a refurbished carb, so it should have come with all of that hardware installed. Can you return it and get one that has all the parts included?

Otherwise, given your willingness to dig in to a project and learn, I don't think you'd have much of an issue coming up with something that will work. Keep us posted....

14. Which = a vacuum leak. Spray around the carb base with carb spray to see if the idle changes. Make sure both halves of the carb are tight. Grab the top half and see if you can twist it.

03GMCSonoma and Christie like this.
  15. Sadly I can’t return it. Bought it months ago from eBay. I’ll try to come up with something just to make her work for now.

16. I tried the spraying , I used wd40 and didn’t hear a change and I used a vacuum gauge and she was in the green range‍♀️

17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

See post #67..

Christie likes this.
  18. Also, I have another carb and when I put that one on she behaves the same way. Won’t stay idling on her own. So I’m at a loss but willing to try anything you guys suggest to try at this point

19. Then I have a vacuum leak somewhere else. Where else should I look? But wait, why would the gauge read normal when I did the test?

20. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Get some carb spray ( way more flammable) , try around the intake , the whole intake..

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  21. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Someone previously mentioned a vented gas cap. Maybe ( just to eliminate that as a possibility) loosen the cap and try it again. Easy and quick to try.
    Also, I had a somewhat similar issue with my 51 and it was crap in the gas tank plugging the pickup.

Christie likes this.
  22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Did you use PayPal to make payment?

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

do you still have the old carb? the part you need is probably on it. show us a pic of the old carb. ( idle speed screw area)

24. Like the guys said,,,if you cover the carb throat and it runs better,,,,about an 80 % chance of vacuum leak .
    The reason I only applied 80 % is because a carb with a blocked passage will act about the same .
    You know,,,like a small engine,,,,maybe mower,,chain saw,,,leaf blower .
    The carb would gum up from sitting,,,,,and the engine would only run with the choke about halfway out,,,,,,turn off the choke and it would die .
    If the carb is perfect and there is no way it could have an obstruction,,,,,then it usually goes to 100 % probability of vacuum leak .
    Who knows where or what part is leaking,,,,but some of the best guys on here have offered sound advice,,,,,,and I hold them in high regard .

Also,,,I’m very proud you haven’t given up and quit,,,,when you find it,,,it will probably be a simple fix,,,,,,keep looking .

Tommy

Christie likes this.
  25. Spray carb cleaner around the area where the intake meets the head too.

Christie likes this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It could be that the idle mixture screws need to be back out more.
    You need to get the idle speed stop fixed first, then work on idle mixture.

Christie likes this.
  27. I actually dropped the tank, cleaned it out and blew the lines because the gas in her was so old . Right now I’m using a tube to siphon the gas from a gas can. Didn’t want to put fuel in tank till I got her able to run properly again.

51pontiac likes this.
  28. Okay,,,how old is the gas ?
    That will make and engine act very similar to this .

Tommy

29. IMG_8628.JPG IMG_8627.JPG
    This is the original carb I had on her, it had a issue with always running rich and leaked at the intake manifold. When she stopped idling for me I bought the new refurbished carb thinking that was my issue. But apparently it’s not. Lol it’s a vacuum leak according to most of you guys. I’m still confused As to why the vacuum gauge read appropriate numbers but I still have a vacuum leak. Wouldn’t it go into the red zone if there was a vacuum leak?? Ty bunches guys

30. You are right,,,the gauge read very good vacuum,,,,but it was a short video and the engine was not giving a good idle,,,,,to get a completely correct reading .
    20 inches of vacuum is very good,,,,but there was some needle variation,,,and I would be hesitant to say it was not a vacuum leak,,,,at least to some extent.
    By the needle variation,,,I kind of think there is more involved,,,,but nothing completely out of the ordinary for an old engine ?
    I go back to the physics involved,,,,,,if you choke the inlet and it idles up,,,,,,there is some kind of leak ,,,,Or,,,,,,a blocked fuel passage .
    A carb kind of works that way,,,it only knows to pull in a metered amount of fuel,,,along with the air .
    In cold weather the air is thick,,,,,,so a choke pulls more air in,,,,opposite in the heat of summer .

I wish the video was about 30 seconds longer,,,and the idle was behaving a little more normal,,,it might give a better indication of the problems.

I just reread your last post,,,,,have you considered reinstalling the old carb ?
    Maybe the new one is not us to snuff,,,,and might be contributing to the problem more ?

Tommy