Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1950 Ford Shoebox rearend

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MtxRocket455, Jun 8, 2020.

1. MtxRocket455

MtxRocket455
    from Corona, Ca

I've seen several threads on this which answered most of my questions. Everyone says to get a 70s Maverick 5 lug rears and they're pretty much bolt in. My question is I found that Currie makes an early Mustang set up. It is 57.375 inches. From what I've read the 50 Shoebox is 58". This seems like it would work. Does anybody see any problems with this? Maybe leaf spring perches are not in the correct place. This doesn't say how far apart those are. It just says they are in the stock location. What was the stock dimension of the 64-66 Mustang spring perches?

https://www.currieenterprises.com/64-66-mustang-housing-and-axle-package

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '51 rear axle housing measures 52 7/8" flange-to-flange, and 57 3/16" axle to axle. The spring mounts are 42" center-to-center.
    My '66 Mustang 8" housing measures 52 3/8" flange -to-flange. I don't have an axle-to-axle measurement but should be close to 57". Spring mounts are 43" center-to-center, common for Fords from '57-up through the '60s.

3. When buying from Curry just tell them what the center to center is on your spring center bolts and they will weld the spring pads where you need them. Also make sure the Mustang leaf springs are the same width as the ones in your 50. I think yours are narrower than Mustang. That will be an issue on installation. Again Curry can take care of it when building your housing.

bobss396 likes this.
  4. MtxRocket455

MtxRocket455
    from Corona, Ca

Thanks for both of your replies. According to measurements above it sounds like it would just about work. And if Curry will put those leaf perches wherever I want...awesome. I'll go down to Curry and talk to them. I didn't know they would do that.
    Is there an issue with using Mustang leaf springs? I was going to replace my 70 year old leaf springs anyway.

5. MtxRocket455

MtxRocket455
    from Corona, Ca

After a google search of 66 Mustang leaf springs...I hope I can use them. They're about half the price.

6. I have never heard of Mustang rear springs bolting into a 50 Ford. A simple tape measure might answer that. As far as "will" they work. That probably depends on your fabrication skills. For myself, I know that if I decided I needed to use them I have the skills to get them in place under my Car. I do know that Mustang front spring hanger is totally different than 50 Ford.

7. Now, before you just order up a set of Mustang springs think about curb weight of both vehicles and rear body overhang of rear axle center line and ask yourself what kind of effect those differences might have on the springs.

8. MtxRocket455

MtxRocket455
    from Corona, Ca

I appreciate the replies. I don't know that I have the skills. If Currie would weld the perch wherever I want I can imagine they'll put whichever perch I want there too. I'll just go talk to them. Thanks again.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bring your credit card...

bobss396 likes this.
  10. BigChief

BigChief

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  11. Steve More

Steve More

1990-1991 Ranger rear ends have the same widths (65.5 inches wheel surface to wheel surface ) but the spring perches need to be moved