Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical All You 40 Ford (Deluxe) Guys....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RAK, Jun 8, 2020.

1. RAK

RAK

I'm assembling the front clip on my car and am struggling with those behind-the-grille 20200608_092715.jpg braces (see photo). The passenger side brace is touching the top of the receiver-dryer and both are REALLY hard to pull into position with one hand while inserting and starting the bolt that secures it. My question is this: what are the consequences of removing them? I can modify the one that is touching the r/c and maybe with some heat get both into a better position for assembly but would rather just get rid of them if possible. Anybody out there do that? If so, what was the long term result?

Thanks,
    Rich

47ragtop likes this.
  2. olscrounger come in please, we need your expertise, Tim.:)

47ragtop, LOU WELLS and i.rant like this.
  3. Mine is a Standard so I can't address your situation specifically, but I do know that all of that bracketry serves an important function in regard to aligning your fenders and hood and grille properly. ..Don.

i.rant likes this.
  4. RAK

RAK

I agree that it served that purpose originally but the front crossmember to inner fender brace is already gone and replaced by Weedetr inner fender braces/mounts so the original system is out the window at this point. The passenger side makes contact very slightly with the top of the r/c and could modified slightly to move it away but just was wondering what others have done. I can't be the only one out there that has had this problem. Come on Tim, we know you have the answer.

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those braces can be tough to align but are part of the stability of the grille. I would not remove them. Without them there is nothing to keep the grille spread properly in the fender area. Show me where it is hitting on the pass side. I can PM you pics if needed ==mine has ac as well and have done many this way.

6. It looks like all the bolts in your grill are completely tight.
    What happens if you loosen them enough to give yourself some play in the grill?

wheeldog57 likes this.
  7. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver

Move the receiver/dryer?

I took me a lot of looking just to find all the correct braces for the grill in my ‘40. I’ll not delete any of it.

olscrounger likes this.
  8. RAK

RAK

Attached a pic of the grille brace, the blue tape is where it is touching the top of the r/c. I don't want to loosen any of the grille bolts if I don't have to, the more I undo the more there will be to re-align.
    Thanks,
    Rich 20200608_114540.jpg

9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I agree with the others. Lets see a picture of your offending object and see if it can be moved rather than remove or modify the brace.

47ragtop likes this.
  10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sent you a pm--is that a repop- top brace or orig.?

11. RAK

RAK

Well everyone I am happy to report that the problem is solved without cutting anything valuable. Seems when I had the flathead in there I spaced the radiator up a little over an inch and after I put the SBC in it I never thought about the r/d and put the spacers in. I cut them down and everything clears. Thanks to Tim (olscrounger) because when he looked at the pictures of my car he noticed the rad was higher than his and I realized my problem was them. Once again, no OEM grille support bars were harmed so have a beer and relax. Thanks to all who offered suggestions it was the discussion that solved the problem.
    Rich

12. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Tim is Mr 40

i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THX Rich-glad to help-you have my number now for future issues if need be.

14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Good news, glad it worked out. olsrounger is the man when it comes to 40's:).