Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mid 50s 3 speed transmission floor conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Hey guys...is there a write up on how to convert a column shifted 3 speed to floor?tia e80e1ef0c74046ee95743a5f339026c8.jpg v

Attached Files:

2. Do you have the shifter already?

3. No...I have an early column without shifter assembly...and no linkage

4. Back in the day Sparkomatic was the king of home made shifter kits.You got the shifter,mounting bracket,and 5 lbs of shift rods,and angle iron bits,and pieces.JC Whitney might still sell it.You might find a kit at a swap meet.

5. You could also look for a Foxcraft floor shift conversion kit.

6. Just checked Jegs. They have a 3 speed Hurst Indy kit. 285 bucks.

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

I just went to the speed shop and bought a floor shifter and put it in, but I guess that they are not as common now as it was back then. Put the transmission in neutral, line up the shift levers with the drift pin and adjust the length of the arms.

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

I bought a rusted heap, took the drive train out (along with shifter and linkage) and parted the rest out.

Then cut a hole in the floor.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Did't I just sell you a shifter? Maybe a different transmission; the numbers look "Ford"? I may still be able to help. I am Butch/56asedandelivery.

10. You sold me a 3 speed shifter for a Chevy with OD...I want to get/build a shifter for a Ford trans

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The Hurst shifter towers (the actual shifter part) is virtually the same for all floor shift conversions by Hurst. Then you also get a "kit" to mount the tower to the trans and the rods/levers. I have lots of Hurst tower assemblies. ritterdavid sells a lot of Hurst stuff in the classifieds here on the HAMB. Plus there are usually some fairly good deals on that auction site we all know and love. Personally, I'd stay away from any of the "cheap" shifters, that really are't cheap. I'd let you have a good, used, Hurst Synchro-Loc for shipping only; trying to thin the herd of some of the stuff I have. Just PM me if interested. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.