Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 235 Oil Pressure?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, May 21, 2020.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Last generation 235 has low oil pressure from either neglect or some sort of failure. Doing better now that I removed external oil filter. Sad to say it has both metallic and bronze particles in it for an engine that doesn't knock or smoke and run's so damn well. I'm pulling it out for a full inspection. In the mean time anyone care to play a guessing game of why the oil pressure while driving at a cruz will go up 15 psi when letting off the gas pedal (it will do this at a stand still as well). I'm thinking thrust issue's? It is a stick car after all.

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Funny the things that come to mind while showering or doing the dishes as I just finished.
    Could it be hemorrhaging from cam bearings? The gear set may be shedding a clue? Is it eating up the trust plate?

Note this is a found photo and not engine in question.
    [​IMG]

3. belair

belair

I don't know, JG. I had an old 327 that would read very high oil pressure when it was really low on oil.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Right. It boggles my mind why pressure would shoot up when it should gradually go down.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Mechanical or electric gauge?

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Aftermarket mechanical. Car came with only idiot light.

Blues4U likes this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I was just drinking milk while rocking in my chair when another moment came to me. Less stress upon pressure relief spring.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

OK no more moments for me so talk amongst yourselves. Quite time with self and the neighbors is over. I'm going into the garage.

bobss396 likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

oil pump clamp bolt is loose?

6inarow and Johnny Gee like this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ That's a scary thought!
    [​IMG]

I didn't even remember how it was held in. Been a long time since I opened the only one I ever did.

11. KenC

KenC

Probably wide main clearances. I seem to remember that happening to a lot of them back in the day. My theory is this: when under load the pressure on the top of pistons forces the crank to the bottom of the block's bore. Oil supply is from the top so lots of loss. when coasting with no load that pressure is relieved and the clearance is now at the bottom hence higher oil pressure due to less clearance and resulting loss from the top.

Of course, I could be full of it. Let us know what you find.

Johnny Gee and squirrel like this.
  12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I will. I won't be getting to it for a couple of weeks though. Need to move it to my house where heavy equipment is and storage of a dead horse is better suited.

13. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Glad to know I'm not the only one who does the dishes in the shower.

Johnny Gee and razoo lew like this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I heard of and have had a 3S in a travel trailer. But never took dishes in with me. I have however taken dish soap into the shower with me.

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Dawn dish detergent will clean the $&@k out of yer hair. It's a little harsh though... lol

Baumi and Johnny Gee like this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I have long hair and have mop'd the floor of trans fluid once. :oops:

Truck64 likes this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I was poor folk in school, out of sham-poo, thought I had it figured out. "Man, this stuff works great!!" Yeah .. no.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Still no work done. Did take Loocy out for 150 mile drive today though.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The tapered end bolt holds the oil pump in place but not tight. You turn it in until it pushes the oil pump against the opposite wall then back off 1 or 2 flats and tighten the lock but. It needs to “float” a bit to center the distributor.

20. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Years ago i had a 62 C10 with a 235,motor was bad when we got it,rebuilt it with a bunch of new parts,all was good ,so we thought?.Was driving one day and the oil pressure started going down and up a lot,being a dumb 16 year old i just kept going,motor was new, thought it was invincible:eek:. after about 10 minutes it started to knock and then a rod came off.It turned out the distributor clamp was semi tight,it let the distributor rise up enough it would run but not drive the oil pump,turns out thats why it was bad when we got the truck,we could not get that bolt to stay tight?I dont think this is your problem,just a story i thougt of when i read this. Harvey

21. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

FWIW … if the pump is coming loose, you'll see the distributor wobbling around in the block at idle.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  22. spook498

spook498

I grew up in Downey and Pico Rivera, over near Paramount and Telegraph, and down off of Slauson. Moved out of SoCal in the early 80s. Later I drove truck and spent a fair amount of time down there. I remember the broiler before the damage and the rebuild. Wanted to go in there afterwards but have since moved to Indiana. The thing I miss most is the food and the car culture.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Before getting home on yesterday's run stopped there for ice cream.

spook498 likes this.
  24. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

The only problem with oil pressure in a 235 I had turned out to be bad/worn cam bearings.
    Not the same symptoms you described tho.
    If too much oil flow is going to the rockers it can reduce flow and pressure to the bearings and to the gauge port. Pre ‘68 Dave on the Stovebolt Forums is a 235 guru. He can probably advise you.

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Wait!, what's this?
    [​IMG]

tb33anda3rd and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca