Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Radiator repairs and strengthening for pressure. Mart's 41 pu get's it's Rad fixed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mart, May 29, 2020.

1. Mart

Mart

Hello. Welcome to a new video from Mart's Garage. This week I tackle a problem with my radiator. It's been running too high a pressure and has bowed the top tank. Follow along as I not only fix the leaks, but add strengthening ties to better contain the pressure. The problem was caused by a faulty pressure cap, overpressuring the system, but as this rad was not originally built to be pressurised, I still added the ties. Ok, enough yakkin, let's get on with it!

If you watch the video directly in youtube the like and subscribe buttons become available. Please click on these as it helps the channel's visibility in youtube's algorithms.

And if you like it give this thread a bump as that helps a lot, too.

Thanks for watching and taking an interest. Mart.

2. Yes, solder does have an 'L' in it.;):D

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I would not hesitate to use a product like Bars leak silver or copper.

4. dudley32

dudley32

5. Mart

Mart

Cheers Dud.
    Gentle bumperoonie.

6. I had a 4lb cap on my '47 and you could hear the tanks expanding and contracting. I didn't test to see how much pressure it was making (old Speedway improved water pumps), I just went for a zero psi cap and that solved it.

BTW, I though you had a pet Chinchilla on your shirt until I realized it was your mic :D.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  7. Mart

Mart

Yeah, 1old, That was an option. I don't know, I just wanted to try and make it work. If the vent was still there at the top I might have tried no pressure.

That is my pet chinchilla.

I enjoyed checking your cars in your link, btw. Quite a mix.

8. Thanks Mart. I'm going to imploy your fix when I swap Flatheads in the '47, it's going to have the stock Merc fan and I would like the extra boiling room of a 4lb.

9. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

It's all about pounds per square inch, typically early Ford top radiator tanks are not designed for 13 or 15lbs of pressure, this is why late model radiators have small tanks, when I had an original type radiator in my coupe with a Cleveland, every couple of years I would get the top tan leaking with a 13lb cap, changed the radiator to have modern small top tank, problem solved.
    The attempt to stop the tank expanding will more than likely help a lot, it still doesn't solve the issue of the huge pressures involved in these large tanks.

10. Mart

Mart

The main problem was that the so-called 4lb cap was made wrong and was pressurising to 10 lbs or more. I ordered a new one and it was exactly the same. I ordered a different brand and that was the opposite. I had to space it out just a bit to seal. Hopefully it will be much closer to 4lbs now and with those mods in place it should be able to cope.