Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Technical, Has anyone adapted a TH350 to a 46 Ford torque tube?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pewsplace, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I didn't find much in my search efforts, but I know there has been a thread about adapting a GM Turbo 350 to a stock 46 Ford Wagon torque tube. Has anyone done this, if so I would appreciate any information? I know all the why would do this; so only the how-to. I want to maintain the stock super restored rear end and brakes but can no longer shift the manual transmission. I think Cory Taulbert may have written about this setup
    . Thanks for any info.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

suggest that you include more info in title

3. 5window

5window

Include perhaps any information in the title. You may get initial hits, but without a hook, your post will disappear down the line quickly.

4. My suggestion is convert to open drive on your current rearend. Talk to the guys at Hot Rod Works, they have all the parts you need. You will need to add something to supplement the radius rods to handle the torque reaction, once you lose the torque tube.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

Hnstray and Gman0046 like this.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I fixed the title for you..... but you are probably better off changing the rear axle to open driveline. Or are you trying to save an existing columbia 2 speed rear?

Pewsplace, 5window and olscrounger like this.
  6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Thanks, I know what I should do and have the parts but just checking how hard this conversion would be.

7. squirrel

squirrel

8. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

This is an early Hydramatic coupled to a Cyclone quick change – 50+ years ago. I had it for decades and never had problems with the conversion. (I did break a lot of Ford axle, ring & pinion and quick change parts.) In the conversion, the driveshaft had to be shortened. The guys at Scotty's Muffler cut it to the new length, ground where the splines would be, slipped it in the coupler and just welded it. It never broke.

2nd Chassis copy 2.jpg
    The transmission was already converted to the Ford U-joint spline and output housing and it bolted up normally with the 180º Ford coupler halves.

I understand what you're trying to do. It'll take a little time to find someone to do it, but I don't think I won't work successfully for you.

Pewsplace likes this.
  9. I would assume since people have made an adaptor for a S10/Jeep T5 to a torque tube it can be done with the same auto trans.

10. redo32

redo32

Lynn, on the thread squirrel noted, Inlinner makes adaptors to fit the t5 in almost anything. He states
    . So there you go. Locate a S10 auto and use his adaptor.

Pewsplace and kadillackid like this.
  11. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

12. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to look into the swap to determine the work involved as I really want to keep the old Ford rear and torque tube. I am easy driver and wouldn't break anything.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Changing to open drive is the only way to go. On my 46 Ford convertible used a 10 bolt Chevy rear end and a Chassis Engineering parallel rear spring set up.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Blues4U and Pewsplace like this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Pewsplace

I am familiar with Ford chassis of that era and the TH series of GM automatics. It seems to me that you are focused on the coupling of whichever trans you choose to the torque tube. However a bigger problem, in my view, is the length and width of those trannies compared to the available space in the X member. THAT is, I think, your greater challenge and would require substantial frame modifications.

An aluminum Powerglide would really improve the space issue and certainly be adequate for normal driving performance. Millions of Chevys of all sizes and power plants used them successfully.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Pewsplace and firstinsteele like this.
  15. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Space is not a problem in 46-48 Ford chassis for the 350 trans. Minimal notching is required on the lower lip but the cradle remains in tack...no cutting.

Hnstray likes this.