Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ross Racing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZZLEGEND, Mar 6, 2020.

1. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Is Ross Racing still around? Was trying to inquire about a set of headers for a 371 Olds. Seems like their website is no longer. Plus read a couple of bad reviews about not delivering engines for some time. Anyone?

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Just how much evidence do you need, be thankful it's not your coin on the line...

loudbang likes this.
  3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

4. saltracer219

saltracer219

I have delt with Tony a couple of times on small stuff and never had a problem. His facebook page is still up and the number listed on the google site is also good. I would suggest giving him a call and talk to him in person.

loudbang and triumph 1 like this.

5. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i think i got my answer. Thanks guys for the reply's.

loudbang likes this.
  6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Talk or text, just texted a couple of weeks ago, got back to me in a few minutes

loudbang and ZZLEGEND like this.
  7. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Might give him a call. I don't text. Still using a flip top phone. Not really fond of technology. No air bags, no text, no pictures, no navigation, no digital dash.

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Is that the guy that had the beautiful maroon coupe with the 471 blown olds? I thought it was his car anyways. Don’t know anything about the business but super nice car.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Crayons

Crayons

Only ordered small parts, gaskets, seals, etc...never had problem wit delivery. Always answers the phone and willing to talk to you about your problems.

10. He had a booth with a bunch of engines and parts in Pomona. I'm sure he's just busy.

loudbang likes this.
  11. 5window

5window

Unless you can talk in person, I think you'd be beyond completely nut to send money for anything.

loudbang, ZZLEGEND and WiredSpider like this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

loudbang likes this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

14. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

loudbang likes this.
  15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Ross is building me a 324. Reach out to Noxious Custom Maybe they can build you one.

ZZLEGEND and loudbang like this.
  16. There were 6 cars in a display in the main hall in Detroit autorama that had a couple Ross banners... not sure what the relationship is there but they may be on the show circuit... I think Chicago this weekend and Cleveland next weekend...
    I dont have a dog in this fight, just passing on info.
    Chappy

ZZLEGEND, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  17. ..........This may well be the situation. We talked at length with the patriarch, Ross Lombardi, about the latest Hilton "A" that they had there in the display and he said that Tony was in attendance also, but was roaming the show. I also don't have a dog in the fight, I just know that they are a small, busy shop.............Don.

Texas Webb likes this.
  18. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

They had a display at both Autorama and GNRS, so it sure looks like they are an active business to me. IMG_7975.JPG IMG_8213.JPG

19. 5window

5window

I just don't know how to correlate going to shows but, apparently taking 4 to 7 years to fill a customers order with really not much communication along the way. It may be a great engine, but I don't think that, if true, is a very good way to treat people or run a business. I, for one, am really a bit worn out from thread after thread reporting some great product but folks sent in money and got neither contact or product,just lies and runaround. Buyer beware still holds I guess.

Addendum: You can be a one person business, busy as all get out, and yet, still operate with honor. What has happened to a person's word being their bond?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  20. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

I was at the GNRS and did not see his both. Not sure how i missed it, but there was a lot of eye candy to look at.

21. ................I watched that thread and don't get me wrong, I'm not defending anyone, but there are always 3 sides to every story. I agree though, Buyer beware in all transactions..........Don.

22. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I've known and dealt with some very good engine shops, fabrication shops and shops in general. Only very few had a secretary or some one to answer the phone. These people are very good and it is for this reason I deal with them. Regardless how good the shop is if I can't speak face to face and visit in person I don't deal with them period. They are good at what they do and not in answering phones and talking for hours. I have never dealt with Ross because he's 10 hrs. away. ZZ if you can't find headers for a 371 Olds in CA maybe you should rethink your project. And yes 4 to 7 years to build a motor is ridiculous. Unless it's a prototype. You know this type of drama goes on all the time. It is very important to have a rapport with whatever shop you are working with. Hell I even have a good rapport with my Pizza places. I equally return the trust and respect to the people I deal with.

Pat

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Texas Webb, pitman and loudbang like this.
  23. ... note to self :

Midwest location ... don't forget Rojam Machine in Omaha, Nebraska.

Not only did they make recent rodding news .. 2013 Ridler winner.

.. but they also built my 13:1 366 small block .. & my dad's 365 Cadillac in 1990 & 1992 respectively.

Alot of shops will build whatever you want efficiently & timely. This is only one of many.

loudbang likes this.
  24. 5window

5window

I am not an engine builder. For those of you who are, how long does it take to build an engine if you have the parts? I know there's no set answer, but suppose you needed to check every clearance. 45-60 hours? Assuming you hadn't promised to build an engine and then go searching for parts made of unobtainium, but had to wait for some regular ordered parts arrive and machine work to be done-3months? Suppose the machine shop was backlogged and the crank was lost on a loading dock for awhile and the pistons had to be exchanged-a year? And, wouldn't you be kind enough to tell the customer. Just makes me say hmmm.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    raven, pitman, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  25. Vern 1963

Vern 1963
    from Virginia

All I can say is “you have been warned”!! If 6 years to build an engine is acceptable then I say go for it!! I never once said he didn’t build a quality product even though I can’t tell you either way. Dennis in Georgia has been over 2 years trying to get his engine! He is a retired pilot so he started flying up to personally check on his engine! Hope this gives y’all some insight as to the type person you could be dealing with. Some get lucky and get their parts in a timely manner and others don’t. Everyone is entitled to gamble if they so choose! I did and lost!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. pitman

pitman

Getting to know your builder, time well spent. After being trounced, yep, on Manchester's Industrial drive, seemed best to rely on my adversary's dad's engine shop! :rolleyes:

27. Koz

Koz

I've dealt with Tony many times and he has always been good with me. This seems very unlike him. I agree with the above, call him directly and get the story.

28. 5window

5window

I wish so much that this works out. But, if I was Dennis in Georgia, the last trip back home would have included whatever parts my engine was in. The time involved and the lack of honest communication would just not be acceptable to me.

29. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Personally I can't imagine paying anyone $13K to build an Olds engine. Lots of competent people out there that can assemble engines for a lot less than that. Its not "Rocket Science"........errr, maybe in this case it could be considered "Rocket Science" afterall.:D

5window, Boneyard51 and Just Gary like this.