Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 29 Chevy-The Rajo Special

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sdrodder, Feb 4, 2020.

1. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

With all this crazy stuff going on with the virus and now riots and all, ive decided to hole up in my garage and work. Most of my time lately has been spent on a customers off topic car but ive been making slow steady progress.

So Ive always liked the look of cast aluminum brake scoops on the lincoln setups. So i figured who says they cant be adapted to gm brakes. So i ordered a set from obriens truckers that are for repop lincoln backing plates and began moding them to fit. Quite a bit of grinding but the end result i think is worth it.
    IMG_6558.JPG IMG_6558.JPG IMG_6557.JPG

Attached Files:

2. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

Another little project has been fixing the steering wheel. I was gonna have someone recast it but since im still waiting after 2 years for a wheel done by that guy, i decided ill take my chances and just restore it myself. And if it "ages" again, atleast then it will fit the rest of the car. All work was done with eastwoods pc7 epoxy. Just waiting on getting some primer on it and then paint. IMG_6433.JPG IMG_6434.JPG

3. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

IMG_5885.JPG IMG_5886.JPG IMG_6405.JPG IMG_6404.JPG IMG_6431.JPG IMG_6432.JPG So last update on this is a hodgepodge of progress. I had wanted to keep the old style e brake lever. So a friend of mine managed to find someone that was selling some random 35 chevy parts that he picked up for me. In that lot was a a e brake bracket. I ended up chopping the mount off and building the rest from scratch that mounts to the bell housing similar to how the original was. I think it turned out pretty nice. I also started making the floor out of wood and got the main piece cut for the e brake and shifter. The floor will either be stained black or a darker brown once its finished out. Still some work left as now i have to get the kick panel piece done which also means i have to make sure it will clear my kickstarter assembly.

IMG_5885.JPG IMG_5886.JPG

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    brEad, Okie Pete, JUNK ROD and 6 others like this.
  4. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

Ok so i lied. this would be the last update. So i was searching for some nice lights for the back. I didnt want what everyone else does. So i found these yankee turn signal fender markers at the pate swap meet from sids dropped axles. The idea came that if i get the lenses recast red and mount a proper bulb they could serve as taillights. Also last year at the round up in austin i picked up the art deco license plate lamp. Off came the old spare tire mount and in its place came the license plate light. Perfect cause now i can keep the split bumpers.

IMG_6358.JPG IMG_6359.JPG

brEad, Okie Pete, 40two and 9 others like this.
  5. 66gmc

66gmc

Its nice to see an old Chevy getting built with Chevy parts. It would be a lot cooler though if you just dropped in a nice modern reliable Ls instead of messing around with that wheezy old 6 banger and obsolete Rajo head....just send the engine and head to me so I can dispose of them properly.

6. 6inarow

6inarow

bad move. It cant cross the border. I'll rescue it instead of you. But yours is a nice offer.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Hotrod coming together there @sdrodder

JUNK ROD, loudbang and sdrodder like this.
  8. Built a late 235 to put in my old '51 chevy which I sold before I'd finished the engine. Wished I'd hung on to it and looked for an earlier Chevy to put it in.

loudbang and sdrodder like this.
  9. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

@66gmc Thanks for the offer. I know im working to hard on trying to use that obsolete stuff, i was more thinking of a prius motor if i do get smart ha ha. Glad you like it man!

Thanks man! Much appreciated.

loudbang, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  10. Gary in MN

Gary in MN

SDRODDER did you ever the RAJO decal I sent you ? Gary in MN

loudbang likes this.
  11. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

@Gary in MN I guess i never replied but yes i did! Thanks so much for all the help with the instructions and the decals. When the car goes to shows some of it will be displayed with it! I owe you for them so if you ever need something give me a holler!

loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Great Rajo stuff !

sdrodder and loudbang like this.
  13. cfmvw

cfmvw

This is nuts! I really like how this is coming together... definitely something unique. Hope you post a video once you get it running!

loudbang, ebs121781 and Six Ball like this.
  14. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

What a coo build, everything looks really solid. Nice to see a chevy being built.

loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  15. I found another magazine ad, from the January 1953 Speed Mechanics. IMG_20200623_213545.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. They're Powerglide valves I believe.

Six Ball likes this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Is there any progress on this car? I'd like to see it.

Stogy likes this.
  18. My pal @sdrodder doesn't get on here very much, so I'll answer on his behalf. It's been back burnered for a bit. He moved, and this car is at his new house/shop, out of the weather now, and in a spot where he sees it daily. Just this past weekend he mentioned wanting to get back on it. It needs more wood work than he initially thought, and at the time he discovered that, he didn't have the appetite for all the carpentry work. Hopefully he'll get back to tinkering with it soon, especially since his '58 truck is back on the road.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks, I understand about Chevys & wood. The sure sound nice and solid when they are done.

Stogy, ebs121781 and SS327 like this.
  20. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

Hey man. So my buddy Eric already kinda replied for me. But essentially the car is on the backburner. I’ve collected a few more parts for it including a packard 3 speed trans and some other odd bits. But with the move and finding out that the interior hid a lot of rotten wood, it’s just sitting in my new shop. Definitely hoping to get back to it here soon but also decided to drag another project into the shop that needs some attention also.

brEad, Stogy and NoSurf like this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Assuming the Packard trans is a Borg Warner is it overdrive?
    My roadster seems to be a back burner too but the stove isn't working. :rolleyes:

brEad, Stogy, Jet96 and 1 other person like this.