Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration <<<< Friday Art Show 6/5/20 >>>>

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Corvette ~ Bob, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Hello @Ron Funkhouser , I'm Mark Ervin. I am a 30 year vetran in the field of animation and a 52 year vetran of drawing hot rods, cars, trucks and such. I also cartoon things.

You, sir, are one who expresses himself with art... hence... an artist. The HAMB gives us a place to share our hobby with like minded traditionalists of the hot rod and custom culture. You also entertain us with your whimsical diaramas and 'photo shoots'. It may be amateur but it's art and it brings a smile. <<< That goes for everyone who stays on point and topical.

Anyone posting art, not their own, please, be sure to credit the artist or don't post it until you can verify it. As much as we all love to see and, er, re-see other artist's art, in a world of , "Hey, it's on the web, that means it's free!" we should show OUR support and appreciation of the artists by putting their names out there with the image. That is community...

MeDrawing-2.jpg

My alias, which I have considered changing to my childhood nickname ( hated at the time) "Sparky", comes from this cartoon. I was trying to evoke the sense of an era when friends gave each other nicknames synonymous to their characteristics. Jigger could be a due who belts down a a little whiskey or a shot of Tequila, a dude who likes to swing on the dance floor with the ladies... basically my past, or a guy who fixes things, with or without the correct parts or knowledge of how to do so. My current life... LOL!

_JIGGER_4web.jpg

Have a great week end, thanks for all the likes!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  2. robber

robber

... "lights out"... :)
    cp 794.JPG cp 749.JPG cp 850.JPG

3. [​IMG]
    I almost missed the show this week. I started back to work and its been busy! Anyhow, I sat down this morning for a few mins with a coffee and worked up a quick cartoon.
    Going through the thread I noticed a few posts related to submissions without acknowledgement to original artists. I realize this has been a touchy subject many times over the years. When I first came aboard there were a lot more of the recognized automotive/hot rod artists submitting work to the show than there is now. For whatever reason most of the so called pros have abandoned ship. Maybe this is why but I don't think so. In my opinion, what we have left here is a handful of friends who enjoy each others company once a week. The submission group is comprised of those with various skill levels, in either art or photography and then there are those who just enjoy the weekly visit to view the show. But one thing we all seem to share is a common interest and a common bond. I think I can speak for many by saying we view the FAS as something worthwhile, entertaining and enjoyable. I have heard mention of the FAS rules/guidelines concerning submissions and have attempted to find them a couple of times only to find two threads of guidelines listed. One for the traditional Hot Rod forum and the other for the traditional Customs forum. Both of which created by Ryan that contains no guidelines for the Friday Art Show. Now within each thread there is a line that reads..."For any other thread types (such as Event coverage, Art, etc...), please use the General Discussion forum located here". But when you click the link it just takes you back to the Hokey Ass Message Board and the two guidelines I mentioned. So, Mr. Norwell, if you would, please investigate and if these guidelines do exist, let us know how to access them. I would think there should be a stand alone thread for Friday Art Show guidelines. That would really make it easier for all of us who chose to participate in it. If its necessary to create new and specific guidelines I know you are certainly probably the one most capable of defining what is appropriate. Thanks.

4. GaryC.

GaryC.

Well; I forgot the show. How about that?
    Here's a 1937... not a Chevy... not a Ford... BUT a Nash.
    Smoooooth!
    1937 Nash Coupe.png

5. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had always thought that this thread was intended to be a place for artists to show off their work to the HAMB community, and therefore was under the impression that it was never OK to post someone else's work. If it's OK to post someone else's work and give them credit, then I think the credit should be explicit. In other words, it's not enought to just post a picture where you believe the signature is legible and that's good enough. It should be accompanied by a statement that says something like "This was painted/drawn/photographed by John Smith." And if you don't know who created it, then you probably shouldn't be posting it.

7. Isn't that what I said? Note that I have taken it upon myself to PM people regarding this very issue, given it is such a problem on the internet... "This was painted/drawn/photographed by John Smith." is pretty much what I have suggested they do. I can't speak for the moderators directly but I'm pretty sure they would agree that, as long as post stay on topic, we want as many people to participate each week as possible. Being that most are either amateurs, or just art fans and that MANY of the old guard have vaporized, or been caught up in other endeavors, I think we should encourage newer members to post. If they don't get it right, their post will go away or they will be 'nudged', as has been done this week.
    To your point, I never said Steve Stanford's signature was enough, I just wanted it clear that the person who posted the rendering had already been called out. Our forum moderator , too, had also made it clear that artist's 'shared' work must be credited. My comment to the signature was that at least it was on the rendering, not cropped nor deleted, and, furthermore, it was legible enough for people familiar with his work to recognize it. It is not too late for the person who posted it to go back, edit their post and, with knowledge of the artist, add that critical information to their post. Likewise, the killer painting of the "midget" race cars needs to be credited or removed.
    Thar - - - I done spoke mah mind... Cheers!

8. I moderated a Photoshop forum years ago and went through a similar issue. There was always some kind of debate surrounding what was or should be allowed. It wasn't until I posted actual guidelines that I was able to put an end to the better part of the arguing. However, your always going to have certain people who love conflict. That has to be solved differently.
    Again, I think that the simple solution is to have FAS guidelines defined and pinned. Otherwise it looks like this is going to continue to be an issue of debate in here.

Animal, Jigger and hotrodjack33 like this.
  9. sololobo

sololobo

Jigger likes this.
  10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok Fellas - Moderator discussions.

We’re going back to simple rules on this one.

2 rules.....

Post YOUR OWN ART ONLY.
    Keep it to the HAMB theme.
    Traditional Hot Rod and Customs only.

That’s it .

Don’t post anyone else’s work.
    That got completely out of hand.

So we’re back to day 1 - simple.

If too many guys keep posting off topic or work that is not theirs - just going to shut it down all together.

Thank you.

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Lots of great stuff going on, in this year's "Virus days of summer."

Jigger and Stogy like this.
  12. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Not meaning to give corncob grief here, but this is exactly what I was hoping wouldn't
    happen. We're going to lose some fine original artwork here because it won't be trad
    hot rod or custom. Artists sometimes stretch boundaries and their wings. We've seen
    Formula 1 grand prix cars, muscle cars, sports cars and I've enjoyed the variety. I feel
    that this is the one spot on the HAMB that can allow a little leeway as long as it's
    transportation / motivation related.

The members that draw, paint and use computer hocus pocus are fortunate as they
    have that talent running through their bodies. As someone who digs photography
    my input is limited, there aren't coupes, roadsters, trucks and customs lined up on
    deserted roads, in forest preserves and in fields of amber grain. I could post weekly
    if I didn't mind bubble butts and beer bellies but my pix don't contain those unwanted
    intrusions. I wouldn't post if they did.

You really think shutting down the thread is a good idea? As a moderator you have
    the ability to look through the submissions and eliminate the offenders. Nail 'em
    and let the rest of us post and enjoy.

themoose, Jigger and hotrodjack33 like this.
  13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Apparently some people have never read the site rules...Allow me to post a couple of them here, from Ryan himself:

We cover traditional '65 and older American cars only. All other threads will be deleted. We don't cover rat rods, muscle cars, mustangs, or VWs.
    As mentioned throughout these guidelines, the H.A.M.B. focuses on TRADITIONAL hot rods and customs. Posts pertaining to traditionally inspired, but not quite period perfect belong on the main forum found here. Please note that we don't focus on things such as modern fuel injected motors, big-inch wheels, frame clips, after market independent suspensions, etc... at all on the H.A.M.B.. As such, posts that stray away from the "traditional inspired" will be deleted.
    And, most importantly:
    Was your thread about something other than traditional hot rods and customs? Aside from a few "sidebar" topics that interest the staff here, we don't allow off topic posts. Your definition of "traditional" might differ from ours. That's fine. However, this is our forum and it's our definition that the forum is run off of.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-h-a-m-b-rules-guidelines.44274/

Jigger, guthriesmith and rooman like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Proud_Monarch.JPG

:rolleyes:...I'm not a big fan of open hoods at shows but this pic wouldn't have been possible if it wasn't, so sometimes its best to make some good out of something that robs a vehicle of its driven style...but I also get the desire by so many to see whats under the Hood so it's a balance that always varies and whats really interesting is many Dealers still pop all the Hoods on many a Front Row...Just like the Good Ole Days...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    rbrewer, 1947knuck, oldsjoe and 7 others like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Close_call_at-work_today2.jpg

:rolleyes:...Close Call 2... @garage2small's F104 flyby...

Credit to All That Inspired this

rbrewer, oldsjoe, tb33anda3rd and 4 others like this.
  16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Quick85 Sub Quote
    "You really think shutting down the thread is a good idea? As a moderator you have
    the ability to look through the submissions and eliminate the offenders. Nail 'em
    and let the rest of us post and enjoy."

When more and more people continually post off topic posts - no problem shutting down a thread.

Ryans Rules

Post your OWN work.
    Not someone else's.
    Keep it on the HAMB topic - Traditional Hot Rod and Customs pre 65.

jnaki, tb33anda3rd and Jeff Norwell like this.
  17. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Again, I'll ask that you zonk the offenders and help keep a popular feature alive.
    But what do you want to do, cob? Perpetuate this popular thread or rub your hands
    together, grin and say "So long, suckers"? Okay, maybe you don't have the time or
    particular desire to police this thread. Should we contact a mod and drop a dime
    on the nogoodnik so you can delete his crime, or sit idly by and wait for the thread
    to be spirited away during the dead of night when no one is expecting it? I'm not
    seeking to flaunt the rules. Instead, I'm asking
    you to help us. Now, I'll
    step back from this and watch for what happens.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Report posts to Moderators that do not follow the rules.
    Thanks

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20160830_180039.jpg

:rolleyes:...Admire, Think, Point, Frame, Focus and Shoot...;)

It's funny I used to think the Tri Fives Had it in the Looks Department...but I have in time come to better understand how cool and visually stunning so much of what the others offered...

and triangulated off in the Distance...The Deuce

Guelph, Ontario, Canada...2016ish

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. ...sure hope the FAS keeps going,...I know I enjoy it as well as many others, always look forward to it....nother shot of the Jeep...(I know I sometimes stray from the trad.,...so maybe the roadster will woodart 2020 010.jpg make up for that.))
    woodart 2020 237.jpg

22. ^^^^Go easy on me folks, I was only 17 when I did this for HS art class.^^^^:)

Lil32, chryslerfan55 and lurker mick like this.
  23. One more from HS art class. 08312020_0003.jpg

24. Found one more. A little whimsical.:D 08312020_0001.jpg