Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why does lexan have such a bad rap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southpark, Jun 11, 2009.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I can see it for side and back glass, too. But there is so much grit and sand in Florida on the road, plus the fact that my windshield is nearly vertical, that I'm wondering how Lexan holds up in the sand blasting department.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. It comes in different grades. I have a piece of hardened lexan in the garage that may end up be a boat style windshield on a roadster.

Harley windshields are plastic and they seem to hold up alright in Florida. I just don't want something that I am going to bounce off of if I hit something that won't move. ;)

gnichols likes this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Finally the answer we have been looking for.:)

Bob

gimpyshotrods and gnichols like this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Pretty old notes,but as long as it's here and now,I used in 1959 some free 1/4 in. Plexiglas off a sign left out in the center of nowear{ a lonely park} I guess to protect sign from vandels?..
    It was big enough to replace broken glass in 1928 windshield frame for about a year. It already had scratch when it was abtained,but got more over time from cleaning. So was replaced by glass after about a year,that cost what still seemed too much. Lexan was not around for reg. guys to buy or used tell in to the 1960s.but really great tuff stuff,but needs care to not scratch it. Back in the 1980s,I blow 3 canopy bubbles of lexan { one failed to get the shape} they were for world landspeed record pedel bikes ,that was a bit of hot rodding mixed in. It was my only shot at racing at Indy 500 track and a ton of fun. {pic}My "Team Strange" racer with Lexan bubble,10th fastist in the world,out of 85 racers for the Dupont Prize in 1985 at Indy.
    That's my Plexiglas an Lexan story!
    1831re2.jpg

Tim_with_a_T, raven, gnichols and 4 others like this.
  5. Actually, rear windows are required to be tempered glass and have been since the '40s. The theory is if the glass is broken badly or knocked out of it's frame you don't want a large, heavy chunk of glass flying around inside the car. And you won't find laminated side glass on anything new anymore for the same reason, I suspect this is now a requirement also.

The laminated windshield is a US thing. All tempered glass is or was common in Europe. Properly tempered glass is damned hard to break, just watch some of the rioting footage on TV as rioters try to break the side glass out of police cars.

Modern polycarbonates are incredibly tough. I've got a chunk 3/8" thick that was used as a bullet-proof window and I was told it would withstand anything under a steel-jacketed .50 caliber. But they do weather/scratch over time even with careful care.

gnichols and dana barlow like this.
  6. Many GM (and others) cars are using laminated side glass in current production, as some PDR guys have found out the hard way. Most now look at the glass etching before working a door so they don't wind up buying a door glass. I believe they are using it for sound reduction, as it tends to be found more commonly in the higher-line makes.

7. I can see the sound reduction part of that, but I'd be curious if it's just 'plain' laminated glass or laminated and tempered. Old style laminated glass needs to be well-supported; how many times have you had a side window break on an older car when someone slams the door and the window channels are worn? I know it's cost me a few windows over the years.

8. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I think many here is comparing Lexan to plexiglass. Lexan is a trademark name for poly carbonate as mentioned is very tough. It has more impact resistance then glass. It doesn’t break into large shards as someone suggested. I have bent 1/4 and 5/16 inch Lexan almost in half before it actually breaks.

I have a Lexan windshield in my car. It is curved and not flat. After the initial fitting I made a template so I could replace it easily as necessary. Lexan does scratch and requires extra care. Most Lexan can be purchased with coatings on one or both side to make it more scratch resistant. It’s not as hard as glass so wind shield wipers will scratch or haze the surface especially if there is dust or dirt on the surface. I clean my Lexan windshield with a product called Plexus which cleans without scratching and actually removes some of the hazing. For a street car glass is probably more practical but sometimes you have to do what makes sense and what you can afford.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I remember this clown and his fucked up car well. what a hack job. I was surprised they allowed him on here at all. 5 pages about plastic windshields when we really should have been telling him to find a different hobby and stop destroying old cars

Gman0046 likes this.
  10. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

I'm just curious, as I just ran across these 5 pages. I missed the 'build' of his widened car. Is it still on here?

11. Desert1957

Desert1957
    from Pa/Md

I appreciate everyone's comments about my last post on this thread. Just wanted to mention that the Poly-carbonate type of lexan I referred to with the warning is VERY expensive. One 5' X 10' sheet is approximately $600.00.
    Also you can clean it with carb cleaner and it will never yellow. I have it my Chevy II (14 years old) and it looks like brand new.

TRENDZ likes this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

When I hear Lexan it conjures up images of rat rods.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    49ratfink likes this.
  13. The 2 I've seen broken were plain laminate. I'd imagine the automakers really don't concern themselves with what might happen a couple decades or more down the road.

14. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

15. 5window

5window

It's just not legal on a street car in PA.
    175.67. Glazing
    (a) Condition of Glazing - Glazing shall meet the requirements of Chapter 161 (relating to glazing materials).
    See 75 Pa.C.S. §4526 (relating to safety glass).
    (b) Safety Glazing - A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with safety glazing in all
    windshields, windows and wings. Requirements of this subsection do not apply to a vehicle manufactured or
    assembled before January 1, 1934, if the original glazing is not cracked or discolored.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the car is a giant fuckpile. the guy should have his welder and any metal cutting tools confiscated, then he should be beaten.

Gman0046 and 66gmc like this.
  17. Desert1957

Desert1957
    from Pa/Md

Thanks for the update.

18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I understand the op caused quite a stir, and maybe his car wasn't to everybody's liking but why was he banned? Lippy