Register now to get rid of these ads!

History On the hunt for my dad's '32 Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheDocktor40, Mar 24, 2014.

1. TheDocktor40

TheDocktor40

Hi everyone! My name is Dustin Docktor and as the title suggests, I'm posting here to ask for your help in finding the 1932 Ford 5 window coupe that my dad, John Docktor, built when I was a kid. As with all of you, cars are my life and this one is the genesis of my passion. This car meant the world to me and I am willing to go to great lengths to find it again. I have told my dad since the day I watched it get loaded up on the back of a trailer and drove away from my house, that I will get it back no matter the cost. It's been almost 20 years since I began making that claim and now that I am about to graduate college and with a career already in the works, I felt compelled to finally begin my search. I'm hoping to track it down with your help and guidance, and maybe, just maybe, one day, I can bring it back to it's original family.

Let me start off this post by saying that I was very young (elementary school age) when we owned this car so my dates are simply a ballpark timeline and I know some of the very basic specs of the car, but honestly I can't tell you many of the exact details quite yet. My dad, being the steel trap that he is for things like this, has every detail locked into his memory so I have asked him to list out some key things that I will add to this post later that will hopefully help in identifying the car. So on to the actual coupe...

My dad began building this highboy project here in Fort Worth, TX around 1991 with a Carl Fjasted built frame from the Deuce Frame Company set up for 4-bar suspension, and a Gibbon fiberglass 5 window body. It was never fully finished with the frame being painted black as well as having red steel wheels, but the body remaining in it's black gelcoat up until the car was sold around 1997-1998 to a gentleman named Jim from Southern California (the only other thing I recall about him is that he happened to own some type of hobby store). We didn't keep in touch with him after we sold it, but we spotted it out at the LA Roadster Show in Pomona around 2000-2001 where the body, grill shell and newly added hood had been primered in a flat red in addition to the red steel wheels being replaced with American Racing Torque Thrusts. Fast forward to 2003, we hear through the grapevine that Jim had sold the car to one of his friends, and while at the LA Roadster Show again we spot it after it had been finished. It has changed dramatically in appearance since it was still owned by us or even since the first time we saw it after we had sold it, but with my dad's eagle eye, he spotted some little details only he would recognize that proved it was our old car. This is the last time I saw it back at that show in '03...

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/40793553@N05/13373194784/player/bdfafda934" height="420" width="640" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/40793553@N05/13373197444/player/371646ece5" height="426" width="640" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/40793553@N05/13372961113/player/2d8fecf9a4" height="421" width="640" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/40793553@N05/13372819525/player/08ec9a45f5" height="424" width="640" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/40793553@N05/13373195634/player/c12b082d1b" height="424" width="640" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/40793553@N05/13372811415/player/f2eda56df3" height="424" width="640" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/40793553@N05/13372957703/player/dfa1d61862" height="421" width="640" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

I know these aren't the best pictures, and it isn't much info to go on at the moment, but with the help of my dad I am going to do my best to gather as much info as I can and update this post. Any suggestions to what sort of info might help to further this search, any resources I may be able to use, and of course any leads to where this car now calls home would be greatly appreciated!

-Dustin

2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You can probably just track it down via license plate #

3. TheDocktor40

TheDocktor40

After some severe Googling I was able to track down the gentleman that my father sold it to who has pointed me in the right direction. Just this morning, after speaking one of the owners down the line, I found it. It was actually just featured in Drive Magazine and is said to be owned by a Mr. Colby Newett of Costa Messa, CA (scan of feature below).

I tracked down the picture and found it was taken on September 15, 2013 at the Outriders 32nd Annual Picnic. I'll be honest, I am surprised I have even found the thing, but then I saw the For-Sale sign in the windshield and now I am chomping at the bit to find it.

I have not found contact info for Mr. Newett yet since I discovered the car this morning. Again, any info on this car, whether it's just "I remember that car from the picnic," or if I'm lucky enough "yea I know the owner," would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Dustin

EDIT: After reading up on it, I see that the Outriders Picnic is invite only. Would there be any way to get in touch with the car club or a member (can't seem to find a website/Facebook for the Outriders), and potentially track down Mr. Newett since he was in attendance?

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/40793553@N05/13850528863/player/" width="500" height="373" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/40793553@N05/13850874454/in/photostream/player/" width="500" height="400" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/40793553@N05/13850502815/in/photostream/player/" width="500" height="333" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  4. I wish you all the luck in the world and it is for sale. HRP

5. McFly

McFly

I work for a title company and I have his address. I will pm it to you.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And the rest of us will wait for updates. :)

7. Got to be one of the shortest time span searches in HAMB history of lost cars. HRP

8. captmullette

captmullette

9. TheDocktor40

TheDocktor40

First, thank you to those who have kindly PM'd me info that they have been able to find, you have been an enormous help. With that help I have been able to track down what I hope to be Mr. Newett's contact information and I reached out to him by phone this afternoon. I only reached voicemail (I hope it's the correct number or someone is going to have a very confusing message in their inbox!) so we will see where things go from here.

Well, I think I'm on the right track at the moment but not quite there yet :)

-Dustin

10. TheDocktor40

TheDocktor40

Just in case, I figured I would post a quick CliffNotes version of the info I have found on my chase down the rabbit hole, and maybe it will spark some memories of the car with someone, or at least provide a little enjoyment for those following this.

-Dug pretty deep into Google and tracked down Mr. Jim Poole of Upland, CA who was the 2nd owner and gentleman who bought the car from my dad in 1996.

-Mr. Poole sold it at some point to Mr. Terry Stoker of Stoker's Hot Rod Factory also in Upland, CA.

-I sent an email to David at Stoker's Hot Rod Shop telling them my story and inquiring about the car. They were quick to respond and incredibly they pointed me in the direction of Mr. Newett, who I hope is still the current owner. Here is a copy of the email I received:

"We remember the car well, and still see it from time to time. We sold it to a guy named Roy. That's all we remember. He sold it and it went through a couple hands since.

We've recently seen a picture of what looks to be the car in this months issue of Drive magazine. (picture from earlier) It says the owners name is Colby Newett from Costa Mesa, but it also says powered by a 351 Ford. Not sure if that's a mistake by the magazine or someone changed it. It had a Chevy in it when sold by us."

-After getting that email I was able to track down those pictures of the car at the Outriders Picnic and have no doubt that it is my dad's old coupe.

I'll be sure to keep y'all informed as I continue this.

11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Just a thought... I know this car holds certain sentiment , but you have shared that it has been drastically changed from you and your dads origional vision....

Did you ever think about building another car the way you want it with your dad as another father/ son project... I would think you could make even more memories with a car you would never sell... It may be a good chance to hang out with your dad before he gets on in years and you lose track of time

12. alchemy

alchemy

This sounds like a better plan to me. Much more fun.

13. bigorangetruck

bigorangetruck
    from TX

Hope you find it, just don't put a chevy back in it!

14. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Just thinking....we could have possibly helped a serial killer or hit man find someone that has a contract on their head........wonder if all the guys that helped will get part of the hit money....or get put on a hit list as possible people who could identify the hit man?.....When your old you have time to come up with these type thoughts........this is a lot better story than telling people you owe someone money and need to find them...........

15. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Oh...I forgot, I'm glad your on the tail of finding your Dads Car.......sometimes the hunt is as much fun as the find.

16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Yeah and the hit man just posted all his evidence on the Internet?!... Pretty sure California still gives out info if you request and have a plate # so I would take up your concern with them..

17. TheDocktor40

TheDocktor40

That idea has certainly crossed our minds, in fact my dad and I discussed the possibility of building another one just this weekend haha. Over the years we've owned a few cars though since the coupe, and with us I think, the journeys and trips in the cars themselves were the most memorable. There is certainly something to be said about building a car and spending all those hours in the garage, don't get me wrong the bond you make while building the car makes the journey even more special, but we have personally looked back more fondly on the trips driving the car itself than the build. Plus with these old cars, they still spend plenty of time in the garage being tinkered on even when they are considered "finished." ;)

As for the coupe itself, it certainly is a sentimental thing as you said. It's very difficult to describe, but even with the changes that have been made it draws out feelings in me that I've never really had with anything else (don't let my girlfriend hear that). Its like ones favorite teddy bear or similar growing up getting lost or sold in a garage sale and then turning up again. It may be worn out and have new eyes sewn on or something, but to be able to find YOURS, not just one like it, but the one you had, and potentially get it back, even in its new form it just feels right...there's just something that I can't put my finger on. I see it and in my eyes its no different than the day I sat and watched it pull away from my house on a trailer. I don't know, it may sound crazy and all mushy about it haha but again it's just a feeling I get about it.

-Dustin

(And as a side not, I can't even watch a show like CSI without getting queasy so I wouldn't count too much on me being some kind of killer. And if I am, like thirtytwo said, you can find my backstory up there to track me down! :) )

18. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Ok... But DO NOT say any of that to the current owner... No offense but there are pleanty of glas 32s available ... But only one your dad owned ... Which changes the laws of supply and demand ... Defiantly not in your favor.. Hold your cards close!

19. TheDocktor40

TheDocktor40

Haha, you couldn't be more correct sir. It not being a steel car might work in my favor here. Definitely one of those rare cases where demand is borderline perfectly inelastic, too bad I don't have the funds to support a position like that requires! It'll certainly be an emotional reunion if it ever happens, but hopefully it won't be an emotional purchase decision. Plus at this point, I can only leverage myself so far anyhow, so if it happens to be out of my price range, my plan is simply to keep tabs on it until the opportunity presents itself.

-Dustin

20. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Just keep your head about you ... It seems the market is in the 20-30 range for a fairly standard well built 32... People are really jumping on the traditional bandwagon so an earth toned 4bar car might be on the lower side of those figures...I have seen desperation sales less than 20 ...Everyone but you and the current owner see just another glas 32 .. just remember unless its rare its still a buyers market

I still vote a new build.. Those great memories you have of that car and your dad ,have already been made... Make some new ones... Better yet... buy 2 of everything and you and dad can build two new 32s together... Talk to Duane at California roadster .. I bet he would give a decent discount on 2 of everything... Carl is still buildin frames too..Just sayin !

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  21. 32partsguy

32partsguy
    from DFW,Texas!

Hey Mr. Thirtytwo, I just ran across this old thread and thought I would update you. I'm Dustin's Dad
    and I was always with you, let's just build a new car. So we did, and here's the pictures. It has been a 6 year project, and still not finished, but it has been on the road a year and has 1100 miles on it so far.
    It's all new stuff. So-Cal Speed Shop chassis. United Pacific body. 2" chop, SBC, Tremec 5 speed, 9" Ford rear end. LOTS of assembly help from the Veazie Bros. and So-Cal Speed Shop. LSRU 2019 13.jpg LSRU 2019 13.jpg LSRU 2019 1.jpg Sideshot Saturday.jpg LSRU 2019 7.jpg LSRU 2019 9.jpg LSRU 2019 11.jpg

alchemy, rusty valley and cfmvw like this.