Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: Pontiac Engines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Nov 22, 2007.

1. About 50 years ago I replaced the boat anchor 348 tri power in my 58 chevy Impala with a 63 421 four bbl mill. It was a oil burning fast engine. used a quart every twenty miles. fouled plugs. I don't remember the oil filter never changed the oil. I pulled the Pontiac and was going to install a 283 and that never happened. I sold the impala with the dissembled348 tri power and all in the trunk for $300 I had gave $40 for the 421 and sold it for $90. Regrettable Things like that have led to me being a hoarder. You have something and you sell it. then you spend the money. and you no longer have the item or the money. You develope the no sell hoarder mentality.

kidcampbell71 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  2. when you hit reply at the bottom there is a blue box that stated post reply. to the right a rectangular box UPLOAD A FILE and to the right of that MORE OPTIONS. hit the UPLOAD A FILE.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I wouldn’t use a bolt-on anything to ID a block imo. That goes for heads, valley pans (pcv location), etc. From a quick glance all 421s were 2 freeze plugs (starting in 67 they used 3 plugs and would be 428s which is actually cast into the side of the block). All had 4-bolt main blocks. So for me when I’m walking a swap meet any 2-freeze plug 4 bolt main block I will try to buy regardless if it’s a 389 or 421 and regardless if it’s a pre or post ‘64 (block or bell housing mounted starter). Once the quick ID is done then you can look at engine and date codes, machined pads and “mountain” peaks on the rear. If you are paying big money then I would certainly use everything I have to ID it properly. If it’s a “just get this old block out of here for $75” then I just snag it and check it later but my rule of 2 and 3 freeze plugs works for me and is a quick look type stuff. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

All of the adaptors that I have are the aluminum angled type. I just grabbed one off a junk engine (a 350 I think) when putting the 455 together.
    It never occurred to me that there were adapters out there that may not fit.

5. Ok 31 Hot Rod Guy's 62 has a 90 degree aluminum adaptor. He posted a picture of it. Likely its original to his car.First one I remember seeing. However I once had a 421 about 50 years ago. I don't remember anything about the oil filter it had.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  6. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Let me know if anyone has a Pontiac 6x2 or 4x2 intake they want to sell. Thanks!

7. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

IMG_6293.JPG

Here are two on my Craigslist page. They are in Indy (about 2-3 hours away from me). If you need info from them let me know. I’m willing to go look at them too as well for you. Regards, Randy

Deuces and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  8. slack

slack

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  9. RT468

RT468

Ok, while on the topic of Pontiac engines, I have a few questions about a block I have. The block in question is missing the last digit on the casting. Only has 538818 and it does not appear as if it was ground off. Has 4 bolt mains. Dated F-15-1 and has a 12B engine code with 288738 on the front of the block by the head.So far what Ive found the 12B puts this as a 62 389 385hp . Have not measured the bore yet. The 288738 is that a partial VIN, did Pontiac blocks that early even have VINs stamped or is # something different ??

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  10. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I will take a shot at this. Block should have 2 freeze plugs per side, no provision for block mounted starter, cylinders should be chamfered. The casting number should be 6 digits if this is a Super Duty block of 538181 (you show two 8s back to back). Build date is June 15, 1961 and production for ‘62 model year vehicles didn’t start until August 15, 1961 but that block would be considered a ‘62 with the 12B code (385 HP 3-speed manual trans application). The other number (288...) is an EUN (Engine unit number) and is not the VIN. Pontiac did not start stamping VINs until the ‘68 MY across the board. It should have 4-bolt main as you noted. I would interested in seeing a picture of the block from the bottom pls. That is a rare piece you have there. Regards, Randy

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  11. RT468

RT468

Attached Files:

12. RT468

RT468

I'll have to take a few more pics. All I had was the side with the casting and just beneath the head with the engine cide

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  13. Tomi Joonas

Tomi Joonas

Greetings from Finland.
    New member here and made account moment ago.

Im trying to help my friend to buid Pontiac 400 engine.
    He bought recently 1967 #061 heads with minor porting job done.
    I'v not seen heads yet hows the runners look like.
    There is very little knowledge out there about specs of these heads.
    So far i have found out that combustion chamber is 72cc, 2.11 int and 1.77 ex valves.
    They should flow around 200+ cfm (stock).

Pressed studs are going to be replaced with threaded ones.

Friend want to use old school ram air iv cam.
    Cr will be around 10:1.
    Question is... How much cam lift can these head handle without milling spring pockets?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  14. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

It's all dependent on the springs and retainers you use and whether or not you run the longer ram air valves,the combination of spring installed height,the spring coil bind,guide to retainer clearance all have bearing on how much lift you can tolerate.Pontiacs in general aren't set up for lots of valve lift most factory cams with the exception of the ram air 4 didn't have much over .400 lift including the earlier performance grinds.If you aren't running the 1.65 ratio ram air rockers you won't get terribly high lift the cam is ground for a 1.65 ratio unless it some aftermarket cam that is ground to equal the ram air 4 profile with the stock 1.5 rockers.I'm glad your asking questions because this is probably the most common reason people have had trouble bending pushrods in Pontiacs over the years.

31hotrodguy, GuyW and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  15. CGkidd

CGkidd

New to Pontiac engines. I got the odd ball baby to all of you. 1962 Tempest 195 four cylinder with a stock 4 barrel and a 4 soeed. Getting ready to rebuild it. Wiped cam lobe when I bought the car. She was not rattling but no power. Might have a line on a 9770716 head for it. 28339.jpeg KIMG0440.jpeg KIMG0437.jpeg KIMG0439.jpeg

Sent from my E6910 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, loudbang, Bird man and 3 others like this.
  16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Pontiac crank question. Will the 4.25 stroker crank that Butler performance sells fit in my 59 block? If so will my 59 flywheel bolt on to the flange? I’m still trying to learn about all the potinac compatibility.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  17. Joe H

Joe H

Jim Butler will know, just ask him.

Deuces, Elcohaulic, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  18. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Butler Performance says their cranks are for 61 an older. Does anyone know what is different with the different cranks?

Elcohaulic likes this.
  19. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I used to follow Nunzi from Brooklyn NY.. His heads were some of the best..

I always liked the good old 421 with a set of close chambered heads. The 67 670 heads came with the bigger valves but the cyls needed unshrouded.

I remember that place. We picked up two engines up there..

Nunzi_The_Pontiac_Expert.jpg photo-copy-2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  20. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Nunzi was the man! Randy

21. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I'd love to have one of his versions of the O68 camshaft. I had one in a 421, I think it was numbered 2041. It ran so strong.. I think it had more lift @.50 then stock.. Pontiac had some of the best cam people around back then, it was always smart to stay close to the stock grinds.. That 63 GP belonged to there top cam man Mac McKellar... Notice how it had a dual master cyl with an adjustable proportion valve and HYDRO BOOST but came with 8 lug drum brakes, very interesting!

5.jpg 1.png 2.png 3.png 4.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  22. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

23. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Thanks Toxic.. It looks like 63 and down are different from 64 and up.. That's not too hard to remember, in Pontiac world everything is 64 up or down..

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  24. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Thank you toxic! That helps! That gives me an idea where the changes took place. I’m stuck between using my later 63 389 but having to fabricate clutch linkage or run the stock set up as far as clutch (came with a 59 engine) either way I thought about adding cubic inches but it sounds like I’m making my life more difficult.

Scott

bchctybob and Elcohaulic like this.
  25. Duck's Goat

Duck's Goat

Elcohaulic, Deuces and 31hotrodguy like this.
  26. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

If you can borrow a newer crank I would look to see what is different. It may not be that bad to modify.

Elcohaulic and 31hotrodguy like this.
  27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.
  28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Bowtie Coupe and Elcohaulic like this.
  29. Damn, good thread.

Deuces likes this.
  30. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Elcohaulic and kidcampbell71 like this.